Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
That’s crazy! How long ago was that? What year was your Jeep?
I factory ordered the 2021 and took delivery mid July, week and a half later I got into this accident.. fumbled around with insurance from July to October and then they finally totaled it and I ordered a 2022 in November

Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Attorney sent service to Stellantis letting them know that the data would be pulled within the next 30 days (about two weeks ago).
It’s been a shocking long time for all of this to play out…did you end up back in a Jeep Wrangler?

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I really don’t recall my speed… I know it wasn’t more than 10 mph. The officer estimated. I guess, until I have the computer pulled and checked I’ll never really know. I did read Chrysler having an issue with a delay in sensors but they said they were all corrected in factory.

First, I am very glad you are okay. I worked for many years as Safety Systems engineer designing airbag systems. I would recommend you get an attorney and get a copy of the Jeeps safety system data that is stored in your Jeep. It will let you know the speed at which you were traveling and the type of impact the computer system thought it encountered vs what you experienced.

By looking at the photos the impact was greater than 10 MPH. This does not mean you were not going 10 MPH but your speed plus the other cars speed needs to be added together. This combined velocity and the duration of the impact will determine when the airbags trigger. Although people say airbags go off at low speeds 8 to 10MPH speed is only one component of a more complex algorithm that determines if a vehicle is in a crash event. Most vehicles require a certain amount of energy over a specific duration of time to trigger an event all based crash test data for typical events.

What I can say is that the way you are describing the airbags behaving is not how they should have deployed. If you can get the data from your JEEP you would have a strong case in your favor.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot a dealer can do to "check" our airbag sensors system. Its sealed off much like a "black box" on a plane. They can run a diagnostic check but it would not give them any information about the system other than its OK at the moment they tested it.

Based on the damage of the JEEP and directional forces to the bumper I would be interested to hear more.

Most important thing...is you walked away from the event. It will be up to people like you to chase this down and find out what really happened. If you need any help let me know.
Sponsored