Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Yes, I was wearing one. Always do. It didnā€™t lock.
Did not lock as in came unlatched?

Both pretensioners in the seatbelt definitely did not go off when needed or not at all.
Front seatbelts in JL have two pretensioners, one at the top where seat belt retracts to and one on the floor. Both retrack about 4 in each to secure you I to the seat. Tightening over your shoulder and over your lap.

Video is of pretensioner in the latching mechanism, but it gets point across.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I say ā€œlockā€

Both pretensioners in the seatbelt definitely did not go off when needed or not at all.
Front seatbelts in JL have two pretensioners, one at the top where seat belt retracts to and one on the floor. Both retrack about 4 in each to secure you I to the seat. Tightening over your shoulder and over your lap.

I say ā€œlockā€ as in restrain me from moving forward.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I say ā€œlockā€

I say ā€œlockā€ as in restrain me from moving forward.

So, no, the pretensioners did not engage. I did not know the technical term. Thanks for the video.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Oh my. I'm sorry that happened! This is unacceptable for airbags to delay like that. If anything, a delayed airbag would probably do more damage than it properly deploying, I imagine. I've had the bag scrape up my arm but that is kinda expected. Hitting your head like that is frightening. It's supposed to launch out (which means it can be aggressive for your arms if you throw them up) but it's supposed to prevent your head and neck from stress.

spdrcr5

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon XR
Vehicle Showcase
Dragging this one up from months ago...

How have you healed? What did the computer data show? I had a bad accident last July and my airbag went off immediately, thankfully. Sounds as if your airbag didn't deploy properly because the seatbelt malfunctioned. Because the seatbelt is what holds you in the seat, and you hit the windshield frame at the top this means the seatbelt never locked to hold you in place. The airbag is there to cushion the impact, the jolt of the crash may have fully latched the belt which then caused the airbag to deploy after the hit.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Jeep Wrangler JL A thumbnail_IMG_5392

Not as bad of an acident as you obviously, but brand new '21 Rubicon with steel bumpers and no airbag deployment, no injurys

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Still waiting on the data to be pulled. Iā€™ve received every excuse in the book why it hasnā€™t been done. So, until it is I canā€™t repair my Jeep.
Was the Jeep not totaled? Back in 2016 my wife fell asleep at the wheel in her brand new '16 JKU after a 36 hour shift at the hospital. Thankfully she hit a concrete pillar in the hospital parking garage and not something, or someone, out on the freeway. Her airbags didn't deploy, and the seatbelt didn't lock as she hit her head on the top of the steering wheel. The impact was enough that it totaled the Jeep. Fortunately she just had a couple scrapes and bruises. With the pictures you posted, I have to imagine that your jeep is totaled.

Sponsored

spdrcr5

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon XR
Vehicle Showcase
Still waiting on the data to be pulled. Iā€™ve received every excuse in the book why it hasnā€™t been done. So, until it is I canā€™t repair my Jeep.
Other than the front end, is there any other damage? When I totaled mine last year I was doing 45 and the seams all cracked on the body, not to mention the transmission broke, it was totaled. Now have a 2021.

Can't an independent person pull the data? Check with a lawyer about pulling the data from the computer.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I only know the external damage so far. Nothing can be touched. Itā€™s in a warehouse wrapped. External is about $20k in damage. I donā€™t even know if itā€™s totaled or not.

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL A thumbnail_IMG_5392

Not as bad of an acident as you obviously, but brand new '21 Rubicon with steel bumpers and no airbag deployment, no injurys
So your airbag didnā€™t deploy?

OP
OP
DKayGing

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dragging this one up from months ago...

How have you healed? What did the computer data show? I had a bad accident last July and my airbag went off immediately, thankfully. Sounds as if your airbag didn't deploy properly because the seatbelt malfunctioned. Because the seatbelt is what holds you in the seat, and you hit the windshield frame at the top this means the seatbelt never locked to hold you in place. The airbag is there to cushion the impact, the jolt of the crash may have fully latched the belt which then caused the airbag to deploy after the hit.
Still waiting on data to be pulled.

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON
I was in an accident last week, I clearly remember the jolt foreword, my head hitting above the windshield area, and as I was returning backwards from the force forward I watched as the airbag deployed. Has anyone else had an issue with airbag deployment? Or seen anything about this? It was almost a direct head on collision. I expected the airbag to deploy sooner.

View attachment 506132

View attachment 506133
You had your seatbelt on? Wow. Very sorry and hope you are doing better.
Sponsored