AH! I can’t friggin decide!

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
I have changed my mind from Rubicon to Sport S about 27,000 Times in the past week. I’m losing my mind! The sport will do everything I want it to do. I’ve never gone wheeling and I know once I have a Jeep I will. I don’t see myself crawling over anything taller than a foot. I’m not gonna go to Moab or the Rubicon so I don’t need a Rubicon. But I want 35’s. Possibly 37’s down the road. So I wouldn’t have to re-gear with a Rubi but I will have to with the sport. I love the 8 inch touchscreen over the 7 inch but I don’t need nav. LED lights, steel bumpers, better looking wheels. I have these “grand” ideas in my head that I will be upgrading these in the future but I’ve had those thoughts in the past with previous vehicles and was never able to it. So do I get the rubicon and be happy with how it is stock with a 50\50 chance of making mods down the road? Or do I get a Sport S 75% happy with how it is stock with better chances to upgrade it down the road?

It’s about a $6000 swing from the Sport to the Rubicon configured how is want them and I feel like I’d be paying that extra money for an inch bigger screen and a 4.10 gearing.

I’ve got about a month left until I buy my Jeep and I think I might go insane before then.
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Get a rubicon. If you are going back and forth that much then if you get the sport you will constantly be wondering what if. Plus you get the higher fender flares and bigger brakes. If you go to a 35 or 37 I don't think you would need a lift either.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Rubicon for sure, especially if you live out west. I made that mistake in 2012 when I got a sahara, but fixed it in 2014 with a Rubicon.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Yep...what @abecker said. I was the same way and I don't regret getting my Rubicon. Just pull the trigger and do it and stick to it. You'll sleep better.

I'd also recommend the LED lights...they are FRICKIN" AWESOME!

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
Get a rubicon. If you are going back and forth that much then if you get the sport you will constantly be wondering what if. Plus you get the higher fender flares and bigger brakes. If you go to a 35 or 37 I don't think you would need a lift either.
The bigger brakes is appealing to me but the high line fenders don’t make much sense to me. I know they allow for more clearance but, and correct me if I’m wrong, there is no difference in the wheel well of the sport and rubicon. Both fenders mount in the same place they just go higher on the rubicon. So conceivably couldn’t I just put rubicon fenders on a sport and get the same clearance?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
Rubicon for sure, especially if you live out west. I made that mistake in 2012 when I got a sahara, but fixed it in 2014 with a Rubicon.
Why does being out west make a difference? (Not trying to be argumentative)

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But you would have worse gears, weaker axles, a worse transfer case, etc. The $6000 buys you a lot more (money wise) than you think. Resale is better on them as well, as used buyers shop more for rubicons.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why does being out west make a difference? (Not trying to be argumentative)
Best wheeling in the world. If he was say, from NY/NJ, like me, I can see your point, we don't have any good wheeling, which is why I got a sahara in 2012, saying "I'm new, never going to wheel hard, etc....." then I took 1 trip out to Colorado and that was it. Luckily, after 2 years and 23000 miles, I only lost $2000 on my sahara and traded it in for a Rubicon.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
I agree with the others, if you're having that much difficulty with the decision, better to err on the side of Rubicon. :dance::jk::flag:

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
For instance, I'm not sure how much rock crawling I'm going to do. My idea of fun or interesting is not spending many hours slowly traversing large obstructions made of stone. However, when I want to get away from it all and I come upon such an obstacle I want to be able to get past it thus I went Rubicon.

Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I was in the same position. The upgraded parts (axle, axle ratio, lockers, sbd, etc) are great and what swayed me. If those don't matter the visual presence of the rubicon are dramatic in person. Get the rubicon.

I'm extremely glad I did.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I was in the same boat a few months back. Went with the Rubi for several reasons. Another plus is the "upgrades" that you will be making are covered by a better warranty with the Rubi.

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
I had a Sport S for 19 years and LOVED it (1999 TJ) and now I have had a Rubi for 3 days and love it so far. Go with your gut but get what you can afford. If $6k is doable and you think you might regret not getting a Rubi then get a Rubi. If 6k is a hardship then get a Sport S. You'll love both. That being said, the window to order a 2018 is rapidly closing. Some options may be unavailable. Order now or wait for a 2019.

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
I had the same questions and ended up going with a Rubicon.

When I read this:
...The sport will do everything I want it to do.....
It makes me think you'd be just as happy with a Sport S. Sure, the Rubicon is probably the best off-road vehicle available out of the box but Sports are very capable machines.

Oh, and in case you were curious, I ended up going with the Rubicon mostly because my Jeep is a retirement gift to myself so I figured I'd splurge a little. Otherwise, I probably would've gone with a Sport myself.

In the end, I'm sure you'll love whatever you choose.

Good luck
Sponsored