Sponsored

Aftermarket windshield durability poll

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It would be nice to have a database on which aftermarket non-OEM windshields are durable. Or more durable as the fragile Mopar windshields.

Please list your aftermarket windshield brand, price, and if you feel it is more durable then the Mopar windshield.
Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can officially agree and confirm the Factory Mopar Acoustic windshield sucks. 1st one cracked after 5-6 months and replacement Mopar cracked 3 weeks after that. All in less then 5K miles. Both Mopar windshields seem to start pitting after only a few weeks of use also. They looked like they were exposed to a sand storm.

I am now waiting until the spring to replace it unless I get stopped and ticked. I figured the chances are high for another crack over the winter with all the rock salt being used.

So let hear about those aftermarket windshields!

Last edited:

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I can officially agree and confirm the Factory Mopar Acoustic windshield sucks. 1st one cracked after 5-6 months and replacement Mopar cracked 3 weeks after that. All in less then 5K miles. Both Mopar windshields seem to start pitting after only a few weeks of use also. They looked like they were exposed to a sand storm.

I am now waiting until the spring to replace it unless I get stopped and ticked. I figured the chances are high for another crack over the winter with all the rock salt being used.

So let hear about those aftermarket windshields!
Not sure if you watch any youtube videos but if you do then you probably heard of Lite Brite's channel. They have a video reviewing their aftermarket KPGlass windshield. In the video they had it for 8 months and it had some chips in it but none of them cracked. They even had a huge boulder hit towards the bottom and it didn't spread. Not sure on price but here's the numbers off the windshield.

KPGlass
43R000554
A022267

Here's also a link to their video. If you want to skip to the windshield part it's at about 15:00.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if you watch any youtube videos but if you do then you probably heard of Lite Brite's channel. They have a video reviewing their aftermarket KPGlass windshield. In the video they had it for 8 months and it had some chips in it but none of them cracked. They even had a huge boulder hit towards the bottom and it didn't spread. Not sure on price but here's the numbers off the windshield.

KPGlass
43R000554
A022267

Here's also a link to their video. If you want to skip to the windshield part it's at about 15:00.
I did watch the video. I could not find anything about the KPGlass?

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I did watch the video. I could not find anything about the KPGlass?
Sorry, didn't realize when I copy a link it starts it at the point I was paused. Back it up to 15:00.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, didn't realize when I copy a link it starts it at the point I was paused. Back it up to 15:00.
I watched the entire video before but I could not find anything about KPGlass online? It definitely look like their aftermarket glass is stronger.

The fashion show at the end is definitely going to get them some "LIKES". The little pup is not bad either. lol.

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I watched the entire video before but I could not find anything about KPGlass online? It definitely look like their aftermarket glass is stronger.

The fashion show at the end is definitely going to get them some "LIKES". The little pup is not bad either. lol.
Oh, gotcha. I would try talking to a auto glass installer near you and ask them about it. It's probably a special order install. They have a huge following and do a lot of upgrade and wheelin' videos. Just be aware that a lot of the parts they install are sponsored so take their reviews with a grain of salt. I would say the windshield review is reliable because they show you the window.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It would be nice to have a database on which aftermarket non-OEM windshields are durable. Or more durable as the fragile Mopar windshields.

Please list your aftermarket windshield brand, price, and if you feel it is more durable then the Mopar windshield.
It would be equally nice Nick for those of us with zero or minimal insurance deductibles on window glass replacement to have our insurance companies allow for the replacement of the stock FCA windshield with better quality aftermarket wares, or even, if available the Gorilla glass version of the windshield. It would save both insurance company and owner time/frustration and $.

I for one, having replaced two windshields--one which just cracked from temperature change sitting in my driveway, would be willing to pay out of pocket for the difference in cost between the Gorilla (or a better aftermarket windshield) and the stock windshield.

(Don't get me started on how the stock windshield should have been the Gorilla one! Forget off roading, if your designing a rig with such a vertically oriented windshield as compared to most other vehicles you have to increase its strength.)

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Have I ever told you guys I love Florida! LOL I was just about to go down to the place and pay to have the chips repaired and I found this little gem out! Your vehicle needs to be registered and insured in the great state of Florida!

Sponsored

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
According to my agent whom I've known 20+years, they aren't allowed to do so :)

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
According to my agent whom I've known 20+years, they aren't allowed to do so :)
So the insurance companies can't raise your premium because of this law. But i'm willing to bet that premiums went up in the next year or two after this law was passed. They just hide it as a general premium increase. Making stuff mandatory like this just screws customers. I'd rather have the choice to either pay $20 a year in premium and have a $100 deductible... or pay $60 a year in premium and have $0 deductible. This law takes that choice away from me.

Old saying... if you want to make something more expensive.... make it "free."
Sponsored