First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'm coming up on my 36 months and I'd like to say I've had zero problems but I can't. It seems like some electronic thing is failing about every year. Should I get an aftermarket warranty or should I self insure? If a warranty is a good idea, which one and why?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm coming up on my 36 months and I'd like to say I've had zero problems but I can't. It seems like some electronic thing is failing about every year. Should I get an aftermarket warranty or should I self insure? If a warranty is a good idea, which one and why?
Self insure.

This issue seems to be a bet between the owner and the insurer. Looking at it like a business person, the insurer needs to have premiums cover three things:
  1. Payouts to repair warrantied items
  2. Administrative costs of operating their company
  3. Profits to their shareholders.
If they can't cover those items, they'll go out of business. I don't see that happening, so they must have their pricing set right. You're betting on whether or not you'll buck the trend and need them more than the average customer. Obviously, extended warranties work for some people, but not enough to upset the providers' business models.

Bottom line: the deck is stacked against you. But, don't believe me. Google extended warranties and read what people (with no dog in the fight) have to say about their value to the consumer. Virtually every consumer watchdog says they are not worth it.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have yet to see an aftermarket "extended warranty" provider that gets even decent reviews. I'm going to just brave it out when mine expires, I don't do well with companies that sell scams.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I purchased the Mopar Maximum Care, 8 year / 125,000 mile vehicle protection. I did so based on my history with my previous JK. The JK just had too many issues.
Sponsored