Aftermarket Tire Carrier

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
At the top of my the list for aftermarket tailgate tire carriers for 37s is the Evo MFG JL HD HINGED TIRE CARRIER. I wanted one that comes powder coated and is adjustable up/down/in/out. From what I've been reading it seems to be a great choice.

Is there any reason I should not choose this carrier or are there better options?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have you looked at the Rugged Ridge hinged tailgate reinforcement? It costs less than half and looks a lot better IMO.

Rugged Ridge is owned by Omix Ada, one of FCA’s biggest OE part suppliers. My guess is they’d know how to make accessories that fit Wranglers well.

I’d stay away from the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, though. It costs an arm-and-a-leg but it doesn’t even reinforce the hinges. I got a knockoff for 1/4 of the price; it works for my 100-lb spare, but you will need something beefier.

Good luck!

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Have you looked at the Rugged Ridge hinged tailgate reinforcement? It costs less than half and looks a lot better IMO.

Rugged Ridge is owned by Omix Ada, one of FCA’s biggest OE part suppliers. My guess is they’d know how to make accessories that fit Wranglers well.

I’d stay away from the Mopar tailgate reinforcement, though. It costs an arm-and-a-leg but it doesn’t even reinforce the hinges. I got a knockoff for 1/4 of the price; it works for my 100-lb spare, but you will need something beefier.

Good luck!
I haven't looked at the Rugged Ridge option for my current JL but I had it for my JK and it was only after I got it that I discovered it wasn't adjustable. Because of that, I was leery about making the same mistake twice and didn't consider the Rugged Ridge carrier.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Metalcloak Sportgate fits all of requirements. It does not replace the hinges though. It is rated for 150lbs and up to 38" tires. You cannot use stock wheels though due to backspacing.

It is a solid, all-in-one unit. Even with 37x12.50's on 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset, my rear sensors are happy and I didn't lose hardly any FOV from backup camera. It also re-uses the stock spare tire bumpers so you can get the tire firmly against the bumpers. This keeps the spare from moving around and rattling.

rhjeep89

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Firecracker Red
I'm looking at the cavfab tire carrier, but will need a spacer for stock wheels.

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
They sell a relocation bracket for another $153.

The hinged reinforcement ($400) + the relocation bracket ($153) are still a LOT less than the Evo setup.

https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-spare-tire-relocation-bracket/v/jeep/wrangler/2021/
It looks like that bracket moves the tire upwards and outward. I wouldn't need that though. My previous gripe with the RR carrier I had on my JK was that it kept the tire up above the carve out in the bumper. I wanted to be able to bring it down lower to fit into the bumper carve out to have better visibility out the rear window. That's the main adjustability I'm looking for. Can the RR carrier do that?

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't consider the Rugged Ridge hinge casting.

I only had mine on for a few months before the hinge bolts started rusting (and I garage it).

I'm waiting for a warranty replacement from Quadratec (currently out of stock).

But, I'll need to take extra steps to prevent any future rust on the new one.

I'm seriously considering just replacing it with the new TeraFlex version, instead.

I doubt that there's will rust (based on the cost).

OP
OP
SouthernJL

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I wouldn't consider the Rugged Ridge hinge casting.

I only had mine on for a few months before the hinge bolts started rusting (and I garage it).

I'm waiting for a warranty replacement from Quadratec (currently out of stock).

But, I'll need to take extra steps to prevent any future rust on the new one.

I'm seriously considering just replacing it with the new TeraFlex version, instead.

I doubt that there's will rust (based on the cost).

Thanks for the insight. I'm actually considering putting this purchase on the backburner for a while. I ordered the new Ko2 C load 37s which weigh just over 64 lbs and the wheel I ordered is 27 lbs. The combo is just over 91 lbs. Wondering if I urgently need to replace the tire carrier since this is not a terribly heavy set up.
Sponsored