Sponsored

Aftermarket Tie rod and stock backspacing wheels.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So who is running aftermarket tie rods and drag link that will clear stock backspacing? I was running the AEV Pintlers on the Jeep with the Rusty’s steering and was able to make everything work. As I was chasing my wobble issues I sold off the wheels and tires thinking the tires could have been the issue. I replaced them with AEV Borah wheels.......you would THINK that they would still clear. But at full lock they hit the back of the wheel, I would need to increase the steering stops by a little over 1/4” to keep them from hitting and I really don’t want to run any type of spacer, and I would like to keep the turning radius tighter than my mega cab dually

I looked at quite a few systems out there and it looks like Metalcloak and Steer Smarts should clear a factory wheel. But I really don’t want to do this a third time. Everything I look at seems to have some little issue with clearance or stabilizer mounts.

Here is my “wish list” for a steering system
  • Must clear stock wheel backspacing
  • Must be able to run the Fox ATS pass through stabilizer
I’m good with using different clamps for the stabilizer but I really don’t want to go through 100 of them to find the combination that works. For once on this thing I just want to be one and done and not have to keep swapping parts.
Sponsored

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, if you're willing to wait a month or so, I have that exact setup. Borah wheels, steermarts tie rod with fox stabilizer. I have the wheels and tie rod but the stabilizer is on its way.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Well, if you're willing to wait a month or so, I have that exact setup. Borah wheels, steermarts tie rod with fox stabilizer. I have the wheels and tie rod but the stabilizer is on its way.
Out of the two I have really been leaning towards the Metalcloak. I just like the fact that they don’t use that spacer on the tie rod taper. I don’t know, to me it just seems like that could be an issue.

And part of me says to just take a little bit off the tie rod from the Rusty’s system I have on it. It’s actually only on the Lt. Side that it’s hitting and I would probably only need to take 1/8” off the actual tie rod and it would clear. The things are huge so I don’t know it it would even matter but something just rubs me wrong grinding down a steering or suspension part. 🤔

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
  1. If I took 1/8” off of where the arrow is it would actually clear. The tie rod is 1 5/16 so I don’t know 1/8 would make any difference.

B03DA19B-0CEA-4E3B-B896-77233403CC18.jpeg

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Out of the two I have really been leaning towards the Metalcloak. I just like the fact that they don’t use that spacer on the tie rod taper. I don’t know, to me it just seems like that could be an issue.

And part of me says to just take a little bit off the tie rod from the Rusty’s system I have on it. It’s actually only on the Lt. Side that it’s hitting and I would probably only need to take 1/8” off the actual tie rod and it would clear. The things are huge so I don’t know it it would even matter but something just rubs me wrong grinding down a steering or suspension part. 🤔
I would consider it, 1/8" ain't much and they are beefier than most people need.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have the full Steersmarts package, along with their axle side stabilizer relocation bracket, and a Fox TS through shaft stabilizer. It cleared just fine, back when I had the factory wheels with 315 ko2's and no wheel spacers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Tie rod and stock backspacing wheels. 20200613_202559
Sponsored