Sponsored

Aftermarket suspension, NO LIFT. Thoughts?

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
I've driven my 2019 JLU Sport S (6MT) 50,000 miles to date, and I've done a fair bit of casual off roading. Sometimes down a muddy forest road that turns pretty rough a few miles in and i require a winch, sometimes down a badly washed gravel road where I bottom out on exposed boulders, etc. The point is, it's casual. This is my daily driver, and I don't want to lift it 3-5 inches, add bigger tires, and go down the path of regearing, etc etc. I haven`t felt that my experience has been hindered by not having a lift. This is a very capable machine!

However, in the next year or so, I do plan on adding a fair amount of weight to my vehicle, including skid plates, rock rails, steel rear bumper, and roof rack (gobi stealth rack for soft top). All things that will add protection that I wish i had had when i was casually off roading.

My thinking is that I should upgrade the shocks with these:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/tera...adjust-piggyback-shocks-11-02-33-400-000.html

Would these provide a benefit over stock shocks in terms of handling increased weight on daily driving + off road?

They are meant to be installed on a Jeep with 0-1.5" of lift. Basically I'd like beefier shocks to protect the other suspension components of my Jeep, but im not interested in lifting the vehicle.

What do ya think? Am I being too conservative? I'm on a limited budget and want to add FUNCTION before looks :movember:
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket suspension, NO LIFT. Thoughts? Screenshot_20200618-171527_Chrome
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
A small 2.5 spring lift, quick disconnects, 33" tires would be very helpfull in the off roading you described. Tera Flex and Rancho make great packages in that range that are very reasonable on price. You will be able to run level 3 trails (1-5 rated) all over the country. No regear and no drive shaft issues. You will also maintain great highway behavior. Very good that you have added undercarriage armor.
That's my thoughts as you described your wheeling anyway.

Those shocks are really great but for your application some Adjustable Rancho 9000XLs would make allot more sense and the price difference would pay for your 2.5 lift and a couple of your tires.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Just went to look at the latest from Rancho. They have a great 2 inch package that includes 9000 XLs . If you shop that from various venders I think you will be very pleasantly surprised on price.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
For the price of those shocks alone, you could buy EIGHT complete Rubicon take-off suspension systems. If you simply want to compensate for additional weight and want to retain stock on and off road manners, it doesn't make any sense to do anything more than a $200 upgrade by picking up someones Rubicon take-offs.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
For the price of those shocks alone, you could buy EIGHT complete Rubicon take-off suspension systems. If you simply want to compensate for additional weight and want to retain stock on and off road manners, it doesn't make any sense to do anything more than a $200 upgrade by picking up someones Rubicon take-offs.
LOL. We basically posted the same thing at the same time.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I agree with the Rubicon takeoff suspension idea at a minimum. If you add substantial weight but no lift, your Jeep will be LOWERED! :giggle:

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Plus one for the rubicon take offs. I found a set for $120 and coupled that with 33” BFG Ko2 and got 2 inches of lift at the center of the frame. Rides like stock for a reasonable price and a definite improvement off road coming from stock sport.

4B2C3FDD-319F-42B2-BB95-786ECCBEA088.jpeg

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
+1 for the Rubicon takeoffs
I'm not sure why I never considered this... it is the solution I need.
Im already stretched very thin on a budget, so that would help with the added weight. Then I'll have a few more dollars to put towards future upgrades :rock:

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I would definitely add the Mopar longer control arms if you want to keep the same road manners.
Sponsored