Sponsored

Aftermarket Sub / Amp Combos & Locations

emart45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Curious if anyone has added an aftermarket sub and amp to their stock stereo?

1. What sub / amp combo did you go with?
2. Where did you put the amp?
3. Where did you put the sub?

Did anyone put the amp under panels to avoid moisture?

I like the JL Audio 10" Powerwedge mainly for the ability to remove all components when needed.

FWIW, I have a JLUR on order with the standard 7" stereo. Decided to add upgrades myself instead of upgrading to the Alpine.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Nicholasjl2018

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler
I have a 2018 wrangler JLU:

Where did you get the remote wire from? i Have the upgraded alpine system and decided to put a 4ch for the interior speaker and put a mono amp to power 2 subs. Question: (1) where did you get the remote wire or which is a good remote wire located; and 2) I am getting engine noise from just the 4ch that powers my speakers.
I am almost certain it’s not the ground because I had it relocated, can’t be the rcas because I swapped them out and finally I changed hi/lo converter to pac audio. Please help me, I have no idea What else can it be.

The engine noise it only noticeable when the stereo is off and I’m tapping the gas or at 1 volume. Otherwise if I put it up too 5 you can’t hear the engine noise.

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Curious if anyone has added an aftermarket sub and amp to their stock stereo?

1. What sub / amp combo did you go with?
2. Where did you put the amp?
3. Where did you put the sub?

Did anyone put the amp under panels to avoid moisture?

I like the JL Audio 10" Powerwedge mainly for the ability to remove all components when needed.

FWIW, I have a JLUR on order with the standard 7" stereo. Decided to add upgrades myself instead of upgrading to the Alpine.

Thoughts?
I have the 7 inch and I am way regretting not upgrading to the Alpine.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I think if you're adding a Sub to a vehicle that has Active Noise Cancelling, like a Jeep with the Alpine, can cause feedback and reverb. I'll try to remember where I read the article, and post a link.

Doesn't sound like it would be an issue in your case because you have the base radio, but I thought I should mention it in case others are looking to upgrade or add a sub.

Edit: Added some links. I couldn't find the original article, but these mention the issue.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/02/piston-slap-cancelling-chryslers-noise-cancellation/

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012001527-Active-Noise-Cancellation-ANC-

https://www.audiocontrol.com/knowledge-base/stereo-sounds-correct-doors-open/

Last edited:

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
If it is the ANC i found on my Grand Cherokee I had to unplug the 2 microphones for it. I think on the wrangler they are in the rear roll bar above your head. Once I disconnected those the noises and thumping went away.

Sponsored

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I have a 2018 wrangler JLU:

Where did you get the remote wire from? i Have the upgraded alpine system and decided to put a 4ch for the interior speaker and put a mono amp to power 2 subs. Question: (1) where did you get the remote wire or which is a good remote wire located; and 2) I am getting engine noise from just the 4ch that powers my speakers.
I am almost certain it’s not the ground because I had it relocated, can’t be the rcas because I swapped them out and finally I changed hi/lo converter to pac audio. Please help me, I have no idea What else can it be.

The engine noise it only noticeable when the stereo is off and I’m tapping the gas or at 1 volume. Otherwise if I put it up too 5 you can’t hear the engine noise.
hi Nicholas, have you found a best place for the remote wire in the JLUR? I have an upgraded alpine system and would like to add new amps for 4ch speakers and sub. Also have you found there the alpine Amps located for 4ch and sub? Also, any pics to illustrating the setup/location of amps/remote wire is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
If you guys have hte aux wiring can you use one of those as the remote wire? I think that is a good idea cause then you can use it switched or unswitched but also turn it off whenever you want with teh push of the button. When I put mine back in that is how I am running it versus a separate switch I always use.

geckorubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any thoughts here on aftermarket subwoofer option? JLUR with non-Alpine 7 inch looking for aftermarket sub option. Was looking at a self powered option under seat from Alpine PWE-S8 JBL basspro SL. Maybe I’m on wrong track.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any thoughts here on aftermarket subwoofer option? JLUR with non-Alpine 7 inch looking for aftermarket sub option. Was looking at a self powered option under seat from Alpine PWE-S8 JBL basspro SL. Maybe I’m on wrong track.
You're not on the wrong track. Many folks here have integrated the Alpine PWE-S8, while others have gone with separate amps and subs. It really boils down to personal preference and what you like. The wire's you'll likely want to tap into are easily accessible at the base of the pillar behind the passenger seat. There are two twisted pair wire sets there. Search this forum for adding an aftermarket amp for the wire colors, if needed.

Cmarr22

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi everyone I added this to another thread but it would be useful here too.

Hey everyone I would just like to let you know that JL Audio will be making " speaker kits" for the JL Wrangler to upgrade the stock speakers!!! It's still in R&D but can expect them to be coming out in the next few months. I'm an employee there and let the company use my jeep as the test dummy.

Sponsored

NickT

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited sport
Any chance they will be upgrading the size in the roll bar, those shitty little 3 or 4” are joke, I know you could squeeze 5.25” or even 6x9 would be ideal if they made a whole new plastic pod piece!

RCD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
You're not on the wrong track. Many folks here have integrated the Alpine PWE-S8, while others have gone with separate amps and subs. It really boils down to personal preference and what you like. The wire's you'll likely want to tap into are easily accessible at the base of the pillar behind the passenger seat. There are two twisted pair wire sets there. Search this forum for adding an aftermarket amp for the wire colors, if needed.
Did you add the sub you referenced? Hows it performing with 7" std audio set up?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not using that sub, so I can't comment. I'm running a true amp/sub setup, though the JL Audio version of the powered subs I've heard sound pretty good

JohnnyJeepSales

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I Currently have the JLU with the Alpine/Infotainment and I want to add more bass, Is it easier for me to do since I already have the Infotainment?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Will this just be speakers or wil it be a kit with sub etc. I remember you posting pics of your Jeep in the sound booth.
Sponsored