Sponsored

Aftermarket Stereo Installed.......Finally!

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Hey JeepU4IA, great post. Did you have to install an external microphone with this HU? If so can you please take a pic of the mic installed? Also when backing up with an aftermarket camera, do the lines on the screen curve/turn with the steering wheel like they do on the factory HU's?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hey JeepU4IA, great post. Did you have to install an external microphone with this HU? If so can you please take a pic of the mic installed? Also when backing up with an aftermarket camera, do the lines on the screen curve/turn with the steering wheel like they do on the factory HU's?
Thanks, Chuck.

Yes, I installed the microphone that came with the head unit. At first I was going to fiddle with tapping into the Jeep's stock microphones but this was too easy and seems to work well. Just drill a hole and you are right behind the head unit.

IMG_20200427_151035397.jpg

The guide lines can be a function of the camera or the head unit. This head unit has optional adjustable guidelines but they are not dynamic (won't turn with the steering wheel). My camera also had static guide lines but I disabled it (it is on the front grill). I have no rear camera installed at the moment.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Hey again, i ordered everything you listed. I was wondering if the installation was all plug and play or did you have to cut anything and splice?

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey again, i ordered everything you listed. I was wondering if the installation was all plug and play or did you have to cut anything and splice?
As far as the wires go, most of the work is connecting up all of the wires between the CH3 Maestro harness and the head unit's harness. Download the directions from Maestro. They are good.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
As far as the wires go, most of the work is connecting up all of the wires between the CH3 Maestro harness and the head unit's harness. Download the directions from Maestro. They are good.
Just got everything in the mail, started splicing everything, Now I have 2 wires on the ch3 harness a purple/white and a light green did you splice those to the head units purple/white and light green wires? or did you leave all those 4 wires alone and safe them off? as well as the pink and yellow/black on the ch3?

Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got everything in the mail, started splicing everything, Now I have 2 wires on the ch3 harness a purple/white and a light green did you splice those to the head units purple/white and light green wires? or did you leave all those 4 wires alone and safe them off? as well as the pink and yellow/black on the ch3?

Thanks
Yes, if there is a corresponding wire between CH3 and head unit, connect them. Refer to the Maestro instructions.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Yes, if there is a corresponding wire between CH3 and head unit, connect them. Refer to the Maestro instructions.
Thanks, got it sorted out. I'm very surprised how much the kwm650 livens up the oem speakers. Thought i might have to replace them but thinking they are enough for me.

However it's a shame about the oem camera not working. Did you find an alternative?

15895143403513530295645675548157.jpg

15895143833489205868770283768801.jpg

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, got it sorted out. I'm very surprised how much the kwm650 livens up the oem speakers. Thought i might have to replace them but thinking they are enough for me.

However it's a shame about the oem camera not working. Did you find an alternative?

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Stereo Installed.......Finally! 15895143833489205868770283768801

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Stereo Installed.......Finally! 15895143833489205868770283768801
Nice job! Yeah, the stock speakers sound much better with the extra amp power of these aftermarket stereos. If you want some extra high frequency response, replace the upper dash speakers with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I2UYPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not done anything regarding the rear camera yet.

mkunkel20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 JKU Sahara
How is the brightness of the screen with the top back? We have a Sony head unit in my wife's 17 JKU and can't see it when the freedom panels are off.

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the brightness of the screen with the top back? We have a Sony head unit in my wife's 17 JKU and can't see it when the freedom panels are off.
I haven't had any issues. You can adjust the angle of view and the brightness setting on my JVC. The screen is very bright.

Sponsored

Danny123000

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Did you keep the door lock menus, along with all the additional settings from the uconnect?

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Did you keep the door lock menus, along with all the additional settings from the uconnect?
keep them plus you get gauge cluster menu, also when you turn up/down the fan speed or temp automatically goes to the climate control menu and after i think 10 sec it goes back to the music, no need to try to navigate menues. Also when you start the wrangler up the bluetooth pairs automatically and and stays at the bluetooth menu, no need to select blutooth each time (this was my one biggest problems with uconnect)

Also if you use spotify it allows you to favorite songs right on the screen

You are also giving about 2/3 more power to the stock speakers and for stock no alpine speakers the sound pretty ok, before installing I was thinking about replacing them, but now I can wait to save a little more.

If you have an aftermarket amp this unit will allow you to connect rca jacks directly to the amp thus avoiding the use of line out converter and giving a cleaner sound to the sub. if you got a 5 channel amp you can easily run new wire to new after market speakers too

Just be aware the backup cam does not work, also depending on model you have to hard wire usb to a 12 v source.

In my opinion the pros of this head unit out weigh the cons and would recommend, if you are installing it yourself just take your time, and pay attention to detail.

Danny123000

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
keep them plus you get gauge cluster menu, also when you turn up/down the fan speed or temp automatically goes to the climate control menu and after i think 10 sec it goes back to the music, no need to try to navigate menues. Also when you start the wrangler up the bluetooth pairs automatically and and stays at the bluetooth menu, no need to select blutooth each time (this was my one biggest problems with uconnect)

Also if you use spotify it allows you to favorite songs right on the screen

You are also giving about 2/3 more power to the stock speakers and for stock no alpine speakers the sound pretty ok, before installing I was thinking about replacing them, but now I can wait to save a little more.

If you have an aftermarket amp this unit will allow you to connect rca jacks directly to the amp thus avoiding the use of line out converter and giving a cleaner sound to the sub. if you got a 5 channel amp you can easily run new wire to new after market speakers too

Just be aware the backup cam does not work, also depending on model you have to hard wire usb to a 12 v source.

In my opinion the pros of this head unit out weigh the cons and would recommend, if you are installing it yourself just take your time, and pay attention to detail.
How can I tell what model I will need to wire the usb for 12V? It uses factory usb correct? I’ve been thinking about replacing the factory unit for a while just because of tiny things that bug me about it.

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Kenwood DMX7706s and the JVC KW-M750BT have that available on the back, the JVC KW-M650BT (which I have) does not. but if I were to buy it again I would just go with the 750 and save myself the headache of installing a usb port. live and learn I guess.

Danny123000

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Kenwood DMX7706s and the JVC KW-M750BT have that available on the back, the JVC KW-M650BT (which I have) does not. but if I were to buy it again I would just go with the 750 and save myself the headache of installing a usb port. live and learn I guess.
Alright cool, so if I’m understanding you correctly with the 750 I’ll be able to use factory USB, keep my back up cam(with adapter, and keep all the factory menus?

that is exactly what I’ve been looking for!
Sponsored