Aftermarket Steering Rim clearance

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Anyone Running any of the aftermarket steering systems with AEV wheels? I just installed the Rusty’s system and at full lock I am getting some rubbing on the inside of the wheel. Really not looking to run any wheel spacers.
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Ouch! Pics of where it's rubbing? Can you grind the offending bit down?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Right now I have the relocation bracket on the Rt tie rod to attach the steering stabilizer to the factory location and that is hitting the tire. I have the bracket on order from RPM which uses the same tie rods from Rusty’s. That bracket is significantly smaller. So hopefully that one will clear the tire.
The tie rod actually is hitting the ONE clip on wheel weight I have on the Jeep. I am going to get the tire rebalanced and hopefully solve that issue. But the rim actually hits. I can adjust the steering stops but I have been thinking about milling a flat area in the tie rods for clearance. They are cast and huge so I’m thinking it won’t do anything to the strength. I probably need to take 1/4” or less off. They are 1 7/8hs.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So the picture really doesn’t do this this justice. The tie rod is actually huge. It is rubbing basically where I have the arrow.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Steering Rim clearance ADD85E63-775B-4D0A-AE4B-D80EB630BC93

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Did you ever find a fix for this? I am thinking about going with the Rustys aluminum tie rod and drag link but need to verify it’ll clear my wheels. They are 20x9 + 1 (5.040 backspace).

I compared your Borah’s specs of 17x8.5 + 25 with my 20x9 +1 and there should be 18mm (.709 inches) more inner clearance. Do you think that would be enough?
I do currently have an email in to a Rustys vendor, hopefully they’ll respond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Did you ever find a fix for this? I am thinking about going with the Rustys aluminum tie rod and drag link but need to verify it’ll clear my wheels. They are 20x9 + 1 (5.040 backspace).

I compared your Borah’s specs of 17x8.5 + 25 with my 20x9 +1 and there should be 18mm (.709 inches) more inner clearance. Do you think that would be enough?
I do currently have an email in to a Rustys vendor, hopefully they’ll respond.
I added a little more than 1/8” to the steering stops

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I added a little more than 1/8” to the steering stops
Thanks for the response. How are you liking the setup? Other than the clearance issue, is it something you would recommend?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Thanks for the response. How are you liking the setup? Other than the clearance issue, is it something you would recommend?
Absolutely, thing is solid. Rusty’s supplies the ends for a lot of the other companies. I am running quite a bit of his stuff and have been happy with all of it. Great quality and made in the USA.
Sponsored