Aftermarket Steering Damper?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I had the Falcon 2.2 on my ‘19 JLR and loved it because it made the steering feel heavier/firmer.

One thing that I thought of when I read your post—what is your caster? Were the LCAs changed with the lift?
Sponsored

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Installed the least expensive Fox option offered by Quadratec. Saw no improvement in (what I perceived to be) my at-speed loose steering.

OP
OP
Mike Delgado

Mike Delgado

First Name
Mike Delgado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2020
I had the Falcon 2.2 on my ‘19 JLR and loved it because it made the steering feel heavier/firmer.

One thing that I thought of when I read your post—what is your caster? Were the LCAs changed with the lift?
I do not know. I know to correct it the control arms must be changed. A heavier steering damper will only mask the issue. I purchase the JKU new from dealer with a Mopar lift & 37s. I just feel the steering to be very sensitive and Im thinking that a better steering damper might help.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I'd bet dollars to pesos that you'll get far more reward from your money by addressing caster than you would steering damping. If they didn't install extended LCA's with the Mopar lift, Mopar has a set (I believe they're 1/2" longer than stock) for $60 for the pair. Or, if you wanted to dive a bit further down the rabbit hole and dial your caster in better, a set of adjustable LCA's (pick your favorite aftermarket suspension vendor) will let you get it dialed between 5.5-6deg which should give you a heavier steering feel without sacrificing return to center.

First things first would be to get an alignment check done and see what your caster numbers are. You can do it yourself with a level and a tape measure (SFA vehicles are really straightforward) but having a digital readout of the actual caster numbers gives you concrete evidence of your symptom.

A heavier damper is nice, but is a last step, IMO. Any Jeep with a properly set up suspension should drive, track, and steer just fine down the road without a damper at all. Think of it as the whipped cream at the top of a root beer float; it should be nice to have but not at all necessary to enjoy the dish.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mike Delgado

Mike Delgado

First Name
Mike Delgado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2020
I'd bet dollars to pesos that you'll get far more reward from your money by addressing caster than you would steering damping. If they didn't install extended LCA's with the Mopar lift, Mopar has a set (I believe they're 1/2" longer than stock) for $60 for the pair. Or, if you wanted to dive a bit further down the rabbit hole and dial your caster in better, a set of adjustable LCA's (pick your favorite aftermarket suspension vendor) will let you get it dialed between 5.5-6deg which should give you a heavier steering feel without sacrificing return to center.

First things first would be to get an alignment check done and see what your caster numbers are. You can do it yourself with a level and a tape measure (SFA vehicles are really straightforward) but having a digital readout of the actual caster numbers gives you concrete evidence of your symptom.

A heavier damper is nice, but is a last step, IMO. Any Jeep with a properly set up suspension should drive, track, and steer just fine down the road without a damper at all. Think of it as the whipped cream at the top of a root beer float; it should be nice to have but not at all necessary to enjoy the dish.
Thanks for the information

Eady66262

First Name
Mohamed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON
Has anyone installed an aftermarket steering damper? I have a 2020 JLU and find the steering very sensitive. Running 37s with a 2" Mopar lift. She does not pull to the sides just very sensitive. I was looking at the Fox steering dampers but the range in price from 180-479.

Any guidance would be helpful

Thanks
IMG_2281.jpg

FOX ATS.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mike,
Keep in mind that any force required to move a steering damper is reacted against the axle housing. That is, the force the steering box generates is pushing against the steering damper and the damper is attached to the axle housing and that force pushes/pulls against the trackbar. If you put a super stiff damper in there, the high forces a power steering box can generate will be compressing your trackbar bushings. If those bushings are not a good match for your damper, you will develop a lag or loose/squishy feel in the steering. One member here related this after he installed a heavy damper to his full Metalcloak suspension.
If you have the right caster, and the steeing system has no play, then ask what you need a heavier damper for. The function of the damper is to push the natural frequency (at which you get DW) to a higher speed. But by far, the most effective way to address DW is elimination of any looseness or play in the system before using a damper to push DW higher.

Is it possible your steering has a little play and you are sawing the wheel and bumping it back and forth?

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I do not know. I know to correct it the control arms must be changed. A heavier steering damper will only mask the issue. I purchase the JKU new from dealer with a Mopar lift & 37s. I just feel the steering to be very sensitive and Im thinking that a better steering damper might help.
The Mopar LCAs took my '19 JLR from 4.7° to 6.0°, which in retrospect wasn't enough (but my '19 was a hot mess).

I would strongly recommend getting an alignment reading before doing anything. With a lift you might need adjustable LCAs to get the caster where you want it.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So do the ones that have to justify a $350 steering stabilizer purchase .
An opinion was asked, & suggestions were given. I don't see anyone trying to justify anything.

I neither know nor care for what you're bitter about.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
I added a the Fox Through Shaft SS 985-02-127 when I did my lift. I have no complaints.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know of any reason the adjustment screw on the Fox ATS steering stabilizer has to point down as per the instructions? This my first time using one of these so not sure if there’s a structural reason or not.

One member told me it’s best to put down to keep water/ mud from sitting on it, which makes sense.

I’ll probably be using the adjuster more than most guys, so it would be easier to get at if it was up. I Have to turn wheels full passenger to get at it pointed down with my synergy tie rod. And knowing me I’ll get out and get under there forgetting to turn the wheel, I just know it....... :facepalm: .
TIA

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I took my JLR to the dealer a couple weeks ago for a reflash on my gauge cluster. While they had it, they also addressed a few other recalls/TSBs (welds, radio issue, and dampener). At first, I was a little concerned (because I had already swapped out the dampener), but the replacement they installed at the dealer has actually made the steering better than it's ever been.

I've never had a wobble, but- especially since going up to 37s- any little dip on one or other side of the road would really pull the Jeep in that direction. The aftermarket stabilizer seemed to reduce that a bit, but the one they installed per the recall is even better (I was surprised they still did the recall and replaced an aftermarket component). Pretty happy with the steering as it is now [knock on wood].
Sponsored