plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any drop in replacement for the stock Rubicon shocks? I do not plan to lift at least for now, and hate the mushy feeling of stock shocks. Most shocks are for lifted Jeep and probably will not fit the stock height.
Sponsored

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Are there any drop in replacement for the stock Rubicon shocks? I do not plan to lift at least for now, and hate the mushy feeling of stock shocks. Most shocks are for lifted Jeep and probably will not fit the stock height.
I've run the Rancho 5000x series on my previous JKU Rubicon (lifted 3.5") and will be installing on my JLU (it's going to be lifted as well). They're comfortable on road, and less mushy than stock, although in all honesty, I don't find the stock Rubi shocks all that bad. The 5000x (or 9000 if you want adjustable squish) are available in most lengths.

If I'm not mistaken, most shock manufacturers make their shocks in multiple lengths - I'd be surprised if stock length wasn't an option from most manufacturers.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I've run the Rancho 5000x series on my previous JKU Rubicon (lifted 3.5") and will be installing on my JLU (it's going to be lifted as well). They're comfortable on road, and less mushy than stock, although in all honesty, I don't find the stock Rubi shocks all that bad. The 5000x (or 9000 if you want adjustable squish) are available in most lengths.

If I'm not mistaken, most shock manufacturers make their shocks in multiple lengths - I'd be surprised if stock length wasn't an option from most manufacturers.
Rancho 5000’s are and have been regarded as one of the worst shocks on the market since the late 1990’s. 9000’s are overpriced as “adjustability” is to make up for lack of tuning. Fox, bilstien, king etc actually make shocks for your Jeep. Not sure if they have anything for stock height yet but if they don’t then just be patient.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Pretty broad statement - any specifics you care to share? The only real issue I have with the Ranchos is the very thin (and somewhat poor) paint finish. I remedy that by clearcoating them before I install.

Shock feel is subjective (we all have a preference on ride quality), but I've run the 5000s for years and they've held up great and dampen well for their price point both on and off road.

Are there better shocks out there? Sure. For the price, however, the 5000s are hard to beat.

Rancho 5000’s are and have been regarded as one of the worst shocks on the market since the late 1990’s. 9000’s are overpriced as “adjustability” is to make up for lack of tuning. Fox, bilstien, king etc actually make shocks for your Jeep. Not sure if they have anything for stock height yet but if they don’t then just be patient.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Pretty broad statement - any specifics you care to share? The only real issue I have with the Ranchos is the very thin (and somewhat poor) paint finish. I remedy that by clearcoating them before I install.

Shock feel is subjective (we all have a preference on ride quality), but I've run the 5000s for years and they've held up great and dampen well for their price point both on and off road.

Are there better shocks out there? Sure. For the price, however, the 5000s are hard to beat.
Sorry, I thought that saying rancho 5000’s are regarded as one of the worst shocks was pretty specific. They were literally a running joke at the shop I worked at up until 6 months ago. As in the customer is complaining about the ride and said “well, earl told me to throw some rancho 5000’s on it”. It was a laugh for everyone.
Personal experience is limited to having them, and getting rid of them (sad to say this) but 20 years ago and working on, repairing and fixing probably a couple thousand jeeps, trucks and various 4wds from 1942 to current.
The jl platform does loads on the suspension geometry end that allows for forgiveness in other areas but my personal experience has led to understand things differently. Maybe it’s wrong and and maybe it’s right. At the end of the day I have just seen a lot better than a rancho 5000 at both lower and higher price points.
If your experience has been great so far then that is awesome. But poor shocks damage a lot of other stuff under a solid front axle vehicle. Maybe your jl will be the first example of an exception to that, but I tend to lean on experience with this stuff so I won’t touch them myself.

Sponsored

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Fair enough - you've had a bad experience, I've had a good one (as have a number of guys I wheel with). No sense in beating a dead horse.

Sorry, I thought that saying rancho 5000’s are regarded as one of the worst shocks was pretty specific. They were literally a running joke at the shop I worked at up until 6 months ago. As in the customer is complaining about the ride and said “well, earl told me to throw some rancho 5000’s on it”. It was a laugh for everyone.
Personal experience is limited to having them, and getting rid of them (sad to say this) but 20 years ago and working on, repairing and fixing probably a couple thousand jeeps, trucks and various 4wds from 1942 to current.
The jl platform does loads on the suspension geometry end that allows for forgiveness in other areas but my personal experience has led to understand things differently. Maybe it’s wrong and and maybe it’s right. At the end of the day I have just seen a lot better than a rancho 5000 at both lower and higher price points.
If your experience has been great so far then that is awesome. But poor shocks damage a lot of other stuff under a solid front axle vehicle. Maybe your jl will be the first example of an exception to that, but I tend to lean on experience with this stuff so I won’t touch them myself.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Fair enough - you've had a bad experience, I've had a good one (as have a number of guys I wheel with). No sense in beating a dead horse.
To quantify, you and the guys you wheel with have had a great experience compared to x number of jeeps. I have only bad experiences compared to thousands of jeeps. What is the x number on your end?-

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I appreciate your input , and your experience may very well outweigh mine. That being said, I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread with a debate regarding something not further answering their question. We all use what works, and without hard proof on either side (yours or mine...this is the internet after all)...let’s leave it at that. I run the 5000s because they’ve worked for me for years on multiple rigs.

So - with respect, back to the original thread. If you’ve got info they can use regarding a stock length aftermarket shock, that’s what he/she wants - not what you or I think about a particular brand. My original post was to pass on a brand I know offers a stock length. Other brands do as well I’m sure. If you’ve got one you like add it to the list!

Cheers.

To quantify, you and the guys you wheel with have had a great experience compared to x number of jeeps. I have only bad experiences compared to thousands of jeeps. What is the x number on your end?-

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Hey gentlemen, enjoy the Sunday night and rule number one of inter web!

Sponsored

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
There is a difference between the RS5000 and the RS5000X, and even more so is our RS5000X for the JL platform. Check out the image below and the info too.
:)
In regards to the 5000X and 9000XL's they are tuned for the vehicle too.
And lastly we do make them for stock height JL.
Thanks! Matt

dsr_subheader.png

NEW DRS Technology is a unique internal system that includes a precisely tuned metal spring and fortified interior construction to provide additional control, reduce body roll and prevent rod overextension inside the shock.

Attachments

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
There is a difference between the RS5000 and the RS5000X, and even more so is our RS5000X for the JL platform. Check out the image below and the info too.
:)
In regards to the 5000X and 9000XL's they are tuned for the vehicle too.
And lastly we do make them for stock height JL.
Thanks! Matt

dsr_subheader.png

NEW DRS Technology is a unique internal system that includes a precisely tuned metal spring and fortified interior construction to provide additional control, reduce body roll and prevent rod overextension inside the shock.
My experiences have consistently been par or sub par with rancho products, over 20 years, and I wasted money on your shocks, that rode more like bolted in rebar.
I can only share my actual experiences and I have nothing to gain by doing that. I hope you guys have great success in the Jeep aftermarket though, however rancho just isn’t for me and my personal waste of money makes it hard for me to recommend.
Sorry

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Thank you for your feedback.
We have enjoyed a lot of success over the years in the Jeep market and continue to improve on our products.

My experiences have consistently been par or sub par with rancho products, over 20 years, and I wasted money on your shocks, that rode more like bolted in rebar.
I can only share my actual experiences and I have nothing to gain by doing that. I hope you guys have great success in the Jeep aftermarket though, however rancho just isn’t for me and my personal waste of money makes it hard for me to recommend.
Sorry

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So another question in regards to the relation between shock and spring, is stiffer shocks better for prolonging the lifespan of a spring?

Bic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Unlimited Sport S
"Bolted in rebar" haha. Talk about hyperbole.
Sponsored