Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera

GKJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
I'm a newbie to customization and am getting ready to do a 2.5" lift with 35s. I was thinking about changing rims, but have read a few people that have had issues with back up cameras fitting back on. Are there any 17" rims that seem to fit okay? Any personal experience using the American Racing Baja would be helpful too.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I have 35’s mounted on FUEL wheels. The center cap of the wheel comes out and you still have use of the backup camera.

It will vary wheel by wheel because of offset, but you will likely have a blacked out moon shape on your screen because the camera may not clear the cap.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 58A63A83-80BA-44E8-9A03-C99A1113D3EF

Last edited:
OP
OP

GKJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
I went with fuel wheels. The center cap of the wheel comes out and you still have use of the backup camera.

it will vary wheel by wheel but you will likely have a blacked out moon shape on your screen because the camera may not clear the cap.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 58A63A83-80BA-44E8-9A03-C99A1113D3EF
Thanks, the pic says a lot

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Backup camera should fit fine on almost all wheels but your visibility could change. As mentioned above, I didn't have much visibility out of the camera with a -18 offset wheel. Lived with it for a week before upgraded to Teraflex Alpha Tire carrier which will accommodate all sizes

Sponsored

OP
OP

GKJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
Backup camera should fit fine on almost all wheels but your visibility could change. As mentioned above, I didn't have much visibility out of the camera with a -18 offset wheel. Lived with it for a week before upgraded to Teraflex Alpha Tire carrier which will accommodate all sizes
Thanks, Ive heard that and am figuring on about a 20% decrease in visibility with a -12 offset, but I've heard a lot of people have to ditch the camera housing on most of the aftermarket wheels.

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks, Ive heard that and am figuring on about a 20% decrease in visibility with a -12 offset, but I've heard a lot of people have to ditch the camera housing on most of the aftermarket wheels.
You are correct on that part. that locking housing piece *usually* wont fit back on. Makes me wonder why it was put on in the first place.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
There's plenty of 17" wheels that will work with a JL - more choice if you're willing to run lug-centric wheels versus hub-centric.

These are Pro Comp Model 7069 (lug-centric) 17x9 inches, Offset: -6, Backspace: 4.75:

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 20200521_141923

The camera hood gives it a... mushroom-tipped look. *tee-hee*

The wheel does occlude part of the back-up camera's wide-angle view.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 20200521_141951

There are 33" tires mounted on these wheels and the spare annoyingly sets off the ParkSense sensors, i.e. a couple of ParkSense sensor are always detecting something. Dunno if I'll try to re-aim them, I don't have plans to change the rear bumper any time soon, and it's easy enough to turn off ParkSense. I did try changing the orientation of the spare, but no rotation stopped the interference.

This setup also doesn't touch the OEM JL spare tire bump stops, so I'm using a couple of longer JK bump stops.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 318941-bf4f2b3b1772af5b75610951163645c7

OP
OP

GKJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
There's plenty of 17" wheels that will work with a JL - more choice if you're willing to run lug-centric wheels versus hub-centric.

These are Pro Comp Model 7069 (lug-centric) 17x9 inches, Offset: -6, Backspace: 4.75:

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket Rims and the JL Backup Camera 318941-bf4f2b3b1772af5b75610951163645c7

The camera hood gives it a... mushroom-tipped look. *tee-hee*

The wheel does occlude part of the back-up camera's wind-angle view.

There are 33" tires mounted on these wheels and the spare annoyingly picks up the ParkSense sensors, i.e. a couple of ParkSense sensor are always detecting something. Dunno, if I'll try to re-aim them, I don't have plans to change the rear bumper any time soon, and it's easy enough to turn off ParkSense. I did try changing the orientation of the spare, but no rotation stopped the interference.

This setup also doesn't touch the OEM JL spare tire bump stops, so I'm using a couple of longer JK bump stops.

Great pics to show, thanks! Really is the info I'm looking for.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Jeepney.... the image you shared above is basically what my back up view looks like with the setup that I indicated about the 35’s mounted on 20” Fuels.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I am keeping oem spare on my Moab. Mostly because of the nice paint matched American Flag tire cover, and because a full size spare is a luxury. 😃😎
Sponsored