Sponsored

Aftermarket Remote Start with App on a Jeep that has factory remote start?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hello everyone,

I’m very interested in the aftermarket remote start device called Drone Mobile which uses an iPhone app to lock/unlock and remote start your vehicle. I have it on my Tacoma and it’s literally instant whereas the uConnect app takes upwards of over a minute to perform your command.

My one year free uConnect guardian is about to expire and I am definitely not going to renew it.

Is there anyone here that has installed an aftermarket remote start system on their Jeep that already had remote start from the factory? The information I’ve found online all revolves around Wranglers that did not come with remote start from the factory.

I know I can always use the key fob but it only works at short range whereas the drone mobile is unlimited distance.
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I've been using my Viper system in my JK and its been great. I will be looking at options also as I hear the uconnect is lack luster at best. As it goes through the Sirius sat network.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've been using my Viper system in my JK and its been great. I will be looking at options also as I hear the uconnect is lack luster at best. As it goes through the Sirius sat network.
Yes it’s extremely slow to react to commands. I’m researching aftermarket options but it’s difficult since my jeep already has remote start. All these modules give remote start to a vehicle that did not have remote start from factory. I can’t find a module meant for devices that do have remote start where the user only wants the added functionality of starting the vehicle from anywhere using a phone app.

CrystalFit

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I’m curious if there is any update on this? However, for me personally, I will not have remote start on my Jeep when it arrives from the factory in a couple more weeks… but very upset bc the dealer promised me that it would indeed have it despite being a manual. I tried to challenge that, he wouldn’t listen, just kept promising me it’d have it, soooo I stuck with the manual and hoped he was right. Now that I have my build sheet and window sticker online, nope… no remote start.

Very bummed as I literally had that conversation with him and he promised me the wrong thing. Now he says “no we can’t put that on there bc you have to press the clutch”. MFer!!

So just wondering what is a good aftermarket remote start to go with. And for real, should I be happy that I’m not getting it with Uconnect since others seem to be unsatisfied???

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m curious if there is any update on this? However, for me personally, I will not have remote start on my Jeep when it arrives from the factory in a couple more weeks… but very upset bc the dealer promised me that it would indeed have it despite being a manual. I tried to challenge that, he wouldn’t listen, just kept promising me it’d have it, soooo I stuck with the manual and hoped he was right. Now that I have my build sheet and window sticker online, nope… no remote start.

Very bummed as I literally had that conversation with him and he promised me the wrong thing. Now he says “no we can’t put that on there bc you have to press the clutch”. MFer!!

So just wondering what is a good aftermarket remote start to go with. And for real, should I be happy that I’m not getting it with Uconnect since others seem to be unsatisfied???
The manual doesn’t offer remote start at all.
but you can easily add aremote starter by doing what I ended up doing

I purchased the iDatalink CMCHXA0 module with no remotes for less than $70 on eBay.

I then purchased the iDataStart ADS-THR-CH12 T-Harness for less than $50 on eBay, so I wouldn’t have to cut up any of my Jeep’s factory wiring.

The module makes a connection with the OBD, the light control knob, the Push-to-Start button, and the CAN bus behind the glovebox. The T-harness i mentioned is a fully made wiring harness with all those connections in a T configuration so you basically remove the factory plug and connect it to one side of the T harness, and you connect the other side of the T to the module in your car. So all functionality remains and only additions are made.

I also purchased the Drone Mobile X1 MAX for less than $130 on Amazon, it is an LTE/3G module that connects to the iDatalink remote start module so you can lock/unlock, locate, and remote start your Jeep using the Drone Mobile app from anywhere in the world. Since I already have factory remote start, my main interest was the drone mobile app because I wanted to remote start my jeep with my phone from afar.

the best thing about Drone Mobile is that it works instantly and it’s only $5 a month, in contrast to the factory uConnect one that takes over a minute to activate and costs at least $30 a month.

But you can purchase remotes that offer ranges up to 3 miles that will work with the iDatalink remote start module with no extra accessories required.

You also need to purchase the ADS-USB-ECO, found at Crutchfield for $25, which is a required accessory that adds USB functionality to the remote start module because you need to make a free account with iDatalink and flash the module before installing it in your Jeep.

edit: on second thought, you might not be able to even do this setup since your jeep is a manual. I think even all the aftermarket ones are only for automatics.

edit2: you actually can install these on manuals.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CrystalFit

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
The manual doesn’t offer remote start at all.
but you can easily add aremote starter by doing what I ended up doing

I purchased the iDatalink CMCHXA0 module with no remotes for less than $70 on eBay.

I then purchased the iDataStart ADS-THR-CH12 T-Harness for less than $50 on eBay, so I wouldn’t have to cut up any of my Jeep’s factory wiring.

The module makes a connection with the OBD, the light control knob, the Push-to-Start button, and the CAN bus behind the glovebox. The T-harness i mentioned is a fully made wiring harness with all those connections in a T configuration so you basically remove the factory plug and connect it to one side of the T harness, and you connect the other side of the T to the module in your car. So all functionality remains and only additions are made.

I also purchased the Drone Mobile X1 MAX for less than $130 on Amazon, it is an LTE/3G module that connects to the iDatalink remote start module so you can lock/unlock, locate, and remote start your Jeep using the Drone Mobile app from anywhere in the world. Since I already have factory remote start, my main interest was the drone mobile app because I wanted to remote start my jeep with my phone from afar.

the best thing about Drone Mobile is that it works instantly and it’s only $5 a month, in contrast to the factory uConnect one that takes over a minute to activate and costs at least $30 a month.

But you can purchase remotes that offer ranges up to 3 miles that will work with the iDatalink remote start module with no extra accessories required.

You also need to purchase the ADS-USB-ECO, found at Crutchfield for $25, which is a required accessory that adds USB functionality to the remote start module because you need to make a free account with iDatalink and flash the module before installing it in your Jeep.

edit: on second thought, you might not be able to even do this setup since your jeep is a manual. I think even all the aftermarket ones are only for automatics.
All great info! Thanks!!

I know that aftermarket remote starters can be put on manuals, but whether or not what you have can be or not…. I have no idea. Back in like 2002 my brother had a remote start put on his Tacoma… so I know it can be done! Lol

My jeep came in last week (YAYY) and the manager said he will make it right by paying for the remote start and it’s installation. He just doesn’t know which is the best one to go with for a manual, and said he is gonna do some researching on which to get. I’ll pass this info on to him and see if he thinks that'll work.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
All great info! Thanks!!

I know that aftermarket remote starters can be put on manuals, but whether or not what you have can be or not…. I have no idea. Back in like 2002 my brother had a remote start put on his Tacoma… so I know it can be done! Lol

My jeep came in last week (YAYY) and the manager said he will make it right by paying for the remote start and it’s installation. He just doesn’t know which is the best one to go with for a manual, and said he is gonna do some researching on which to get. I’ll pass this info on to him and see if he thinks that'll work.
You are right I did some research and it comes with a wire that you’re supposed to cut if you have an automatic! So it does indeed work with manuals.
that’s great news that they are at least willing to do that. God luck!

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
You are right I did some research and it comes with a wire that you’re supposed to cut if you have an automatic! So it does indeed work with manuals.
that’s great news that they are at least willing to do that. God luck!
Can you possibly point me in the right direction of an installation manual or is it self explanatory? I have the CMHCXA0 Control Module, ADS-THR-CH12 T-Harness and the the Drone Mobile X1MAX. I do not have the ADS-USB-ECO that you mention. What is the purpose of flashing the unit? Thanks for posing all that information by the way!

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Can you possibly point me in the right direction of an installation manual or is it self explanatory? I have the CMHCXA0 Control Module, ADS-THR-CH12 T-Harness and the the Drone Mobile X1MAX. I do not have the ADS-USB-ECO that you mention. What is the purpose of flashing the unit? Thanks for posing all that information by the way!
I will send you a link to the installation manual that shows you exactly how to install that module and all the steps you need to take. A USB connection is a requirement. It will not work without programming it to your jeep. The module has no idea what vehicle it is going to be used in so it needs to be programmed to work with your specific vehicle so the programming step can’t be skipped.

However, when I was doing my research months ago, I think I noticed that the CMHCXA0 module has a built in USB port. If yours is exactly the rectangular CMHCXA0, and not the little square CMCHXA0, then it should have a USB port built in so you do not need to purchase the ADS-USB.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here you go:
https://images.idatalink.com/vehicle-install-guides/Guides/712/341/35196/EN/RSA-CH12-[CMHCXA0]-(Jeep_WranglerJL_2021_35196)-EN-C_20211123_142130.pdf

Scroll down to the diagram showing the THR-CH12 wiring harness and use that diagram to make the connections in your jeep (PAGE 6 of 15). Then scroll down and follow all the programming directions (PAGE 9 of 15)
You need to create an Idatalink account so you can program the module with a computer.

Sponsored

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Here you go:
https://images.idatalink.com/vehicle-install-guides/Guides/712/341/35196/EN/RSA-CH12-[CMHCXA0]-(Jeep_WranglerJL_2021_35196)-EN-C_20211123_142130.pdf

Scroll down to the diagram showing the THR-CH12 wiring harness and use that diagram to make the connections in your jeep (PAGE 6 of 15). Then scroll down and follow all the programming directions (PAGE 9 of 15)
You need to create an Idatalink account so you can program the module with a computer.
I do have the module with the USB port, thank you for the clarification and the guide!

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
@DavidArmen

Hey David!! Are you still using this setup and happy with it? Looking to do exactly the same.. factory RS but just have the mobile ability instead of Uconnect. Looks really straight forward with the harness. Nice writeup!! Thanks :)
Sponsored