Sponsored

Aftermarket power windows & door options?

kdkns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hi there,

Due to budget concerns I’m deciding I maybe happy with a base sport with LSD option and add on anything in the future that I must have after.

My biggest issue is power windows and doors. I can live with power doors since I will leave the top open all the time and it is not my fail driver.

Power windows for me are a big because of my dogs in the back and I need to close or open the windows easily while driving but I could leave them down all the time.

I see the JK has these options but what about JL? Will I be able to control the windows from the front console?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
First let me answer your express question with an "I simply don't know, I'm sorry."

But let me follow up with editorial, that may capstone the spirit of the prior poster's sentiments.

If you're buying the JL with cash consider financing. The difference in monthly payments, particularly at a favorable interest rate, between say the Sport and Sport S is likely to be what it costs to bring lunch to work versus buying it, at least more than half of a month.

Or consider getting a JK, used or new.

If it's any consolation, we all live under the constraints that lead to the adage "life is a series of tradeoffs."

I can't see the aftermarket being your solution after sale here, if not from a standpoint of availability then rationale spending, but I could be wrong.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Aftermarket power window kits with installation are going to be a bigger pain and more costly than just saving and having bought the factory upgrade. Not to mention it will probably not be as aesthetically appealing as they (most kits) don’t use the factory switches.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Hi there,

Due to budget concerns I’m deciding I maybe happy with a base sport with LSD option and add on anything in the future that I must have after.

My biggest issue is power windows and doors. I can live with power doors since I will leave the top open all the time and it is not my fail driver.

Power windows for me are a big because of my dogs in the back and I need to close or open the windows easily while driving but I could leave them down all the time.

I see the JK has these options but what about JL? Will I be able to control the windows from the front console?
If power windows are that important to you, I'd just get a Sport S, along with all the other benefits that will come with it.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Are there any downsides to having more electronics in the door? Like electric windows and the proximity key?

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Are there any downsides to having more electronics in the door? Like electric windows and the proximity key?
Other than the standard "more stuff that could break in 12 years" spiel, there's that extra clip to undo to remove the door.

That's all I can think of. My base model doors won't have an electric clip to undo! Yay!

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Other than the standard "more stuff that could break in 12 years" spiel, there's that extra clip to undo to remove the door.

That's all I can think of. My base model doors won't have an electric clip to undo! Yay!
Not too bad then. Thanks!

OP
OP

kdkns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks for the replies. It looks like we are most likely going to go with the sport and I'll add in aftermarket power windows at a minimum. A $200-500 kit that I can install is fine with me as I don't need the other components as the vehicle will take a beating with my dogs in them.

If I install them I'll try and make a guide for other Sport Owners. Thanks.

romeoz

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
Thanks for the replies. It looks like we are most likely going to go with the sport and I'll add in aftermarket power windows at a minimum. A $200-500 kit that I can install is fine with me as I don't need the other components as the vehicle will take a beating with my dogs in them.

If I install them I'll try and make a guide for other Sport Owners. Thanks.
did u ever install the aftermarket windows?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

My wife's base Sport has three wires going to the door(If I remember correctly) with the same size connector my Rubicon has(That part I'm sure about.)
She has no power windows/doors/mirrors....:swear:

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's base Sport has three wires going to the door(If I remember correctly) with the same size connector my Rubicon has(That part I'm sure about.)
She has no power windows/doors/mirrors....:swear:
Maybe they still need them for that door/transmission thing, I guess

OP
OP

kdkns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
did u ever install the aftermarket windows?
I did not. I was waiting on a job switch which delayed me making a purchase. That is about to get settled out and I have a better idea of budget. Getting power doors that unlock with a key fob seem to be doable but not seen anyone do windows yet.

Because my dogs will trash the Jeep and I’ll be hauling lawn stuff around I don’t want to upgrade to a fully loaded JL. Just want something I don’t have to baby too much. Though I may give in and just get everything I want in it.

Kev92

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Professional Dj
I did not. I was waiting on a job switch which delayed me making a purchase. That is about to get settled out and I have a better idea of budget. Getting power doors that unlock with a key fob seem to be doable but not seen anyone do windows yet.

Because my dogs will trash the Jeep and I’ll be hauling lawn stuff around I don’t want to upgrade to a fully loaded JL. Just want something I don’t have to baby too much. Though I may give in and just get everything I want in it.
Im in the same boat with the Budget for the power window and locks. I was looking for power locks but i didnt find anywhere that has them yet. Do you know of any where that has the power locks for the doors?

bru22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gbpro.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2016 Audi Q5, 2016 GMC Denali 2500HD
Occupation
Principal & Creative Director
Vehicle Showcase
Im in the same boat with the Budget for the power window and locks. I was looking for power locks but i didnt find anywhere that has them yet. Do you know of any where that has the power locks for the doors?
You’re going to be hard pressed to find a kit this early in the lifecycle of the JL. We are just now starting to get a decent selection of bumpers, side steps, etc. shoot there isn’t even a solid bimini top out yet to keep rain outta your Jeep with the top off.

The difference in payment will be minuscule - spring for the power windows!
Sponsored