Aftermarket LED headlights and the Sport S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have an Unlimited Sport S and have been thinking about getting some LED headlights with halos. Although, I'm not entirely sure if they will work if my Jeep doesn't have the factory LED package.

I was looking at the Oracle colorshift headlights, but it says they're intended for JLs with factory LED package. Then they have Bi-LED headlights that say they're meant for JLs without the LED package.

Can someone shed some light (pun intended) on this for me please? Will LED headlights work on a Sport S?
Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Mail311

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
4FE2E4FA-56E9-4ADF-9A44-52DA1B5B9438.jpeg
I got the Kiwi masters and I’m pleased with them. Pretty easy install. I also put in oracle switchbacks today. No previous LED package.

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
I just installed the Quake LED 9" headlight and foglight package on my 2018 Sport S that did not have factory LED or DRL. The lights are great. Installation is a bit of a pain (mainly because a factory wiring harness plug is difficult to access and getting to the foglight requires some disassembly of parts on the back of the bumper) and the instructions in the package are lacking...... BUT call them and they will walk you through any issues. I called and talked to Rob during my install, as I ran into a couple of minor issues that hadn't been address. Hooking up the DRL is easy, especially if you have the tow package with the aux switches factory installed. Customer service was exceptional.....especially dealing with Rob. He knows their product, does installs, and is very helpful. He actually answered an email that I sent on Sunday not expecting to hear anything until the following day.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, Quake LEDs here also.
The only thing that's kind of a pain on the sport is the DRL. I connected them to the Aux-3 switch. The headlights are excellent. They are 1,000 times brighter than the crap halogens, have great cutoff, plus illuminate overhead signs, and the Halos look awesome. I got the ones with the Amber for the turn signals.
Just remove the fender to access the factory wiring harness. Takes 5 minutes. I spent a lot of time trying to access it without removing the fender until Rob set me straight.
IMG_20190904_135024.jpg

IMG_20190904_135013.jpg

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Yeah, Quake LEDs here also.
The only thing that's kind of a pain on the sport is the DRL. I connected them to the Aux-3 switch. The headlights are excellent.
Can you connect the fogs to the OEM switch (center push button of the headlights)?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Can you connect the fogs to the OEM switch (center push button of the headlights)?
Yes, that part is plug and play. Really everything is plug and play except power for the DRL (powering the white halos).
The reason that part requires some splicing is because the Sport doesn't have the DRL circuitry (or it's not powered due to software). So you run that wire into either a fuse like the seatwarmer fuse, or one of the Aux switches. Everything else is magic.
If you have a Rubicon (possibly Sahara too) it's 100% plug and play.
The other thing that is not plug and play is connecting the fog light turn signal and DRL wires. They send each kit like it could be installed on its own - with a connector that plugs into the wiring harness near the fender. But when you install both, you just cut that on the fog light kit and t-tap the fog light DRL and Turn signal wires into the ones for the headlights. It sounds more complicated than it is.
Feel free to PM me.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Yes, that part is plug and play. Really everything is plug and play except power for the DRL (powering the white halos).
The reason that part requires some splicing is because the Sport doesn't have the DRL circuitry (or it's not powered due to software). It sounds more complicated than it is.
Feel free to PM me.
Thanks for clarifying!
I have a Sport S, no aux panel and I’m not looking to run the fogs as DRLs.
I held out until someone put out a true 9” LED upgrade for us Sport drivers, so I keep coming back to the Quakes.
I appreciate all your insight. Thanks!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Last edited: