Aftermarket key fob for JL?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....To the dude who took his spring out - is there something inside the fob that mandates it be that big?
BTW, after having a rental JK and deciding I wanted to buy a Jeep the FIRST thing that pissed me off when I saw and test drove one was the keyless ignition. .....
First, I absolutely love the keyless ignition, but that's also because I have the proximity key, so I never have to touch the key. I put it in my pocket and forget about it. Well at least as much as you CAN forget about a "cinder block" in your pocket. :CWL:

Seriously though, and to answer the first question. Yes, the key is that big for a reason. It could be slimmed down a tiny amount, but not much. The circuit board inside it, does take up most of the room and the metal key beside that. So you've got the size of the circuit board, with added width for the physical key next to it. The size could be shaved down a little if they moved the metal key, which is basically what AJT did with their design. The OEM key could also be made a hair shorter by removing the button/spring for the flip out key. Again, another thing AJT did with their design. Basically the only available aftermarket fob did the only things you can really do to reduce the size. They eliminated the spring/button, and the stacked the key behind the circuit board rather than putting it next to it.

So the short answer. No there's not a lot they could do to make the fob smaller. The circuit boards in them are pretty big. The AJT design is about the smallest they could have done, and apparently a lot of people don't like that design either.
Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I wonder if you could use an ebay/chinese/universal fob. There are tons of them. Obviously not as simple as programming a garage door remote, but who knows. Then just put the physical key in one of those magnet box thingies under the Jeep in case you ever need it.

I bought a 1.79 chinese garage door remote. But my door opener wont play nice with it. So there's that too.

Sum-tin like this..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-lot-X...655667?hash=item1ef6901173:g:asIAAOSwtM9ch22l

Last edited:

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I am also surprised that no one else has tackled this - the key is a bit ridiculous. Has anyone looked into using an alternate MOPAR vehicle key? My new Ram key (which has all the same functionality) isn’t nearly as bulky.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I am also surprised that no one else has tackled this - the key is a bit ridiculous. Has anyone looked into using an alternate MOPAR vehicle key? My new Ram key (which has all the same functionality) isn’t nearly as bulky.
I believe the 2016 Renegade uses the same technology with a smaller fob, but you'll have to find a dealer that will do the programming.

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
^^^^^Good point. I intend to swing right down to my dealer service department tomorrow. Between the three ex-con techs and two porters who previously never worked on a car in their life and then were turned into techs..... I know I'll get my answer. AND IF NOT!?!?!?! If by some CRAAAAAAAAAZY set of circumstances those fellas cant help I'll turn straight to the parts counter guys. Great guys. I wont have to wait any more than 15-20 minutes while the seriously unhealthy weight guys talk about sports while I stand there before they ask me if I need help. Heck, half an hour is fine with me. If I was pushing 325lbs at the ripe old age of 24 I'd make sure that I exercised my pointless, shit, sport trivia brain with my nearly identical cooworker for a good, long while before I even bothered to acknowledged a plebian customer such as myself. And were i to contnue being them, I would eventually lean on the counter while single digit tapping into the computer system so much that not just my forearms, but fat from my biceps, chest, middle stomach, shoulders and chin all made at least occasional contact with counter. Witnessing this while listening to them say I dont know, I dont know really lets me know that they are at the top of their game. I've researched dealer items for 2, sometimes 3 hundred seconds on my own and found out much more than these guys know. The real wizardry here is that they can sell you the wrong part 14 times and still blame it on the computer. Genius. Obviously NOBODY knows what fits my vehicle. And they cover that potential liability by shrugging and barely making any mouth noises while sweating in front of a small screen claiming complete and utter ignorance. Very smart indeed, Hard to blame a technical expert when your received response is "I-unno, maybe, says should. Wanna order it?"

Obviously FCA tech crosses over from vehicle to vehicle. It can be quite the puzzle to figure out. But at my local dealer Ive got a sizable crew of noncommittal, half brain dead folks that will set me straight. I mean, they did F up once. But they gave me free oil changes to go along with my already free oil changes. Real apex place. Perfect for a different and/or aftermarket key fob question.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
When I was researching a fobless key (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fobless-key.9256/), a locksmith looked it up and told me the 2016 Renegade used the same key and security technology as the JL. At the time, he did not have access to the codes needed to program keys to the JL. @anotherWS6, given your description of your dealership, you might want to check with a locksmith to see anything has changed regarding their ability to program JL keys. You will want to talk to the service department first anyway (before the parts department), because they do the programming.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I like the creativity of looking at other Jeep keys, but the Renegade key really isn't that much smaller than the JL key. Yes it is smaller but IMHO not enough to justify buying/programming a new key. I've got both keys (both are 2018 if it matters). Here's a comparison:
key differences.JPG

Here's a few images side by side. To me the difference isn't near enough to try to pay a locksmith, to program it, or dealership which I doubt.
IMG_20190904_091835163.jpg
IMG_20190904_091852921.jpg

And then the one that really tells the tale to me is when you set the Renegade key on top of the Wrangler key. They really aren't that different. I think it's the added width for the stupid flip out key that makes everyone think the JL key is so big.

IMG_20190904_092339175.jpg

Anyway, it's not a bad idea. It will shave down a little bit of size. Just seems expensive for the minor difference it will make.

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
The AJT design looks like a game changer. But someone please tell me how you plan on unlocking your doors when power fails, and you have to use that stub key ??? I hope you carry a pair of pliers in your pocket.....

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Pliers? You should be able to pop the door off the key compartment with your fingernail, but worst case scenario it looks like a coin, paper clip, pen, or any small hard object will do it. It's just a snap on lid, you don't have to take the whole fob apart.

1070437944.jpg

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Pliers? You should be able to pop the door off the key compartment with your fingernail, but worst case scenario it looks like a coin, paper clip, pen, or any small hard object will do it. It's just a snap on lid, you don't have to take the whole fob apart.

1070437944.jpg
I think @RockinMarine was referring to using the key after you get it or of the fob. Not much leverage to turn the lock with your fingers.

That said, I believe the little gap/holev in the bottom of @Shots photo would slip over the end of the key to use as leverage to turn it.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
What pisses me off is for SPORT owners they used the same big ass FOB. I installed my own power locks so I have that big ass FOB and a TINY little DOOR LOck/Unlock fob. I wish I could remove the RFID parts that get the jeep started and make a small fob. I hate push start honestly. Why couldn't they keep it simple with a standard keyed ignition.

IMG_5894.jpg

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
What pisses me off is for SPORT owners they used the same big ass FOB. I installed my own power locks so I have that big ass FOB and a TINY little DOOR LOck/Unlock fob. I wish I could remove the RFID parts that get the jeep started and make a small fob. I hate push start honestly. Why couldn't they keep it simple with a standard keyed ignition.
You can remove the RFID part from the original fob. Watch the AJT installation video and you’ll see that is a part of it. If you had some place in the lock/unlock fob for it (it’s smaller than a TicTac) perhaps you’d be all set.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
You can remove the RFID part from the original fob. Watch the AJT installation video and you’ll see that is a part of it. If you had some place in the lock/unlock fob for it (it’s smaller than a TicTac) perhaps you’d be all set.
Ya I bet if I could get with someone who has a 3D printer we could come up with something.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I think @RockinMarine was referring to using the key after you get it or of the fob. Not much leverage to turn the lock with your fingers.

That said, I believe the little gap/holev in the bottom of @Shots photo would slip over the end of the key to use as leverage to turn it.
Oh yeah, that would definitely be a challenge to turn wouldn't it. Good point.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The AJT design looks like a game changer. But someone please tell me how you plan on unlocking your doors when power fails, and you have to use that stub key ??? I hope you carry a pair of pliers in your pocket.....
I have the AJT. It’s not great in person, but that’s just my opinion (feels cheap like a Happy Meal Toy).

Anyway, using the physical key works. The handled end of the fob fits over the end of the key to provide leverage.

I keep telling myself I’ll reassemble my original key, but I never get around to it.

The circuit board for these keys are what makes them huge. AJT’s design is good, and as small as you could get it. If they added a rubberized coating or had used nicer plastic I’d be happy.
Sponsored