Aftermarket key fob for JL?

Dany006

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Hey, did a quick search for it and couldn't find a thread on this... If it already exists, please share the link.

Bought my 2019 JLU Moab about two months ago. The key fob on this thing is huge. Any aftermarket options for this thing? I've found a few but they're all more or less the same ridiculous size as the original.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Had 2 of those. Returned them. They felt really cheap. I like the Jeep ones but need to fix the dang key pop out crap on it.
I'm disappointed in the AJT key too. No where near the quality I thought it was going to be. I think if the buttons were the same silicone material like the factory key it would be worth keeping. But the extruded plastic buttons make it feel like a cheap knockoff you'd find at a dollar store.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Had 2 of those. Returned them. They felt really cheap. I like the Jeep ones but need to fix the dang key pop out crap on it.
I used a vegetable rubber band for a few months to prevent the key from puncturing my scrotum, I eventually bought this case, not too bad.

Good Life+Style 2 Pc Jeep Wrangler JL Gladiator JT Key Fob 3 Button / 4 Button Silicone Cover for Keyless Remote with Snap Hooks | Key Fob Cases for 2 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K2S1ZTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_gXwcrKHu3HNsj

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
what pisses me off more than anything is because I bought a SPORT I don't even have Door Lock controls on mine. Its just one big giant piece of shit fob to hold a tiny ass little RFID chip.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I took my fob apart, and released the tension on the spring that flips the key out. I put it all back together, including the spring (without tension) in case I want to make it spring loaded again.
Now to deploy the key, I press (and hold) the button while I flick the fob (kinda like a reverse casting motion if you fish) and momentum brings the key out rather than the spring. The reason I did it, is so that the dang key stops popping out while it's in my pocket. The spring load could have been a great idea IF there was a lock or something to keep it form popping out all the time when you don't want it too. At the very lease make the button recessed, not sticking out so it always gets pressed. Anyway, the point is, you can make the key much less annoying by simply releasing tension on the spring.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I took my fob apart, and released the tension on the spring that flips the key out. I put it all back together, including the spring (without tension) in case I want to make it spring loaded again.
Now to deploy the key, I press (and hold) the button while I flick the fob (kinda like a reverse casting motion if you fish) and momentum brings the key out rather than the spring. The reason I did it, is so that the dang key stops popping out while it's in my pocket. The spring load could have been a great idea IF there was a lock or something to keep it form popping out all the time when you don't want it too. At the very lease make the button recessed, not sticking out so it always gets pressed. Anyway, the point is, you can make the key much less annoying by simply releasing tension on the spring.
Cool. That’s for the info. I will try it.

OP
OP

Dany006

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
That existing thread you guys keep posting had one single link to a key fob that looks like a child's toy and is literally longer than the existing but slightly thinner. Is there really nothing on the market for this? The JLU has been around for 2 years now...

Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
^^^^^lol..... I think that after market key fob looks awesome. Wait. Oh yeah. No I dont. I'm not 11 years old. It looks fng retarded. I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing.

To the dude who took his spring out - is there something inside the fob that mandates it be that big?

I really noticed how big the fobs were while getting ready to sign paperwork to pick my turd up. They were sitting on the salesman's desk and I thought, huh, those are pretty big looking. I realized just how big after taking the thing home and living with a plastic cynder block in my pocket for a day. Not saying this bit was on purpose, but the salesman held onto the key during my test drive. Maybe hoping I wouldn't notice?

BTW, after having a rental JK and deciding I wanted to buy a Jeep the FIRST thing that pissed me off when I saw and test drove one was the keyless ignition. I'd blow a dead donkey to have a standard key ignition in my Jeep. And I don't even like dead things. Or donkeys.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You can probably use a dodge/chrysler key instead.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
That existing thread you guys keep posting had one single link to a key fob that looks like a child's toy and is literally longer than the existing but slightly thinner. Is there really nothing on the market for this? The JLU has been around for 2 years now...
I can confirm that it’s crappy. I preordered back when it was announced, and am not happy with the aesthetics. The plastic is hard like what they use to make Happy Meal toys. I’ve yet to find the motivation to put my original back together, but eventually I will.

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I like the AJT keyfob. It's a bitch and a half to put it together, but once fixed it works great.

Taste is subjective, but I don't find it cheap feeling at all. The plastic feels fine and I've had no trouble with the buttons. The size is roughly the same as the OEM fob, but it is slightly thinner and that actually makes a big difference. The key not popping out in your pocket helps too.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
18 Years in the Automotive business.. Advise to stay away from the aftermarket key fobs.
They are generally Junk. But you are right the new fobs are Huge? Don't get it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover your Jeep Wrangler with Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection.
Buy Direct and Save https://www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com/
Sponsored