Aftermarket JL Lift Kit suspension options master list

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I added their kit to my Wrangler -- ride quality is not as great as I want it to be above 65 MPH but I am trying to rule out tire pressure issues and alignment presently just to ensure that it's not the springs... which it very well may be. Love Currie -- will do my best to keep the entire kit on but if it ends up being the springs I'll have to swap them. Their arms are top notch, and the shocks (and stabalizer) are Fox, so even if I do swap springs, not like I feel like I wasted much and still very glad I have their arms =) But I may switch to the Evo 3 1/2" Plush Ride Springs.

Tires are Nitto Trail Grappler 37x12.50R17 on AEV Borah Beadlocks @ 31 PSI cold. Originally had them at 36 PSI cold, but dropped them 5 PSI. Didn't make much difference. I have the Tazer, so I will probably drop to 26 PSI cold.

Worth mentioning -- I have a winch up front (on stock steel bumper group) and the front sags pretty hard, so I probably will have to swap springs in the front either way. I don't really blame Currie for that, but I also don't want to add a spacer.

Have you done the chalk test to nail down the right PSI for your Jeep? Spit balling will get you close but, chalking will get you spot on.

As far as swapping the EVO plush ride springs from Currie, I thought I remember reading somewhere EVO was re-branding Currie components as their own. I don't remember where I read that so don't take that as gospel. I do remember seeing it, just ot sure if was on the Bookface or jkowners or what.

As far as the sag goes, any spring you throw up there is going to sag some. If throw a taller spring it's going to have a higher spring rate which will make your ride situation worse. Throw a 3/4" spring spacer up there and call it a day. Regain what you lost with the weight of the winch and keep the lower spring rate.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Have you done the chalk test to nail down the right PSI for your Jeep? Spit balling will get you close but, chalking will get you spot on.

As far as swapping the EVO plush ride springs from Currie, I thought I remember reading somewhere EVO was re-branding Currie components as their own. I don't remember where I read that so don't take that as gospel. I do remember seeing it, just ot sure if was on the Bookface or jkowners or what.

As far as the sag goes, any spring you throw up there is going to sag some. If throw a taller spring it's going to have a higher spring rate which will make your ride situation worse. Throw a 3/4" spring spacer up there and call it a day. Regain what you lost with the weight of the winch and keep the lower spring rate.
Haven't yet. Will tomorrow once I get some chalk at the gym. EVO uses Currie JJ's but that's it (their springs are very different and are available in 2.5", 3.5", and 4.5" -- Currie only sells 4" springs). If I had to go the spring spacer route I will, but the EVO springs sat completely level with a winch without sag on other vehicles. Thus I wouldn't expect to use different springs front vs rear.

It really could be tire pressure. It's getting aligned as well tomorrow to rule that out as well, didn't have time before the trip this weekend.

Either way, thank you for responding =)

DocLogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL and 1964 beetle
I made my own lift and have no steering or drivetrain issues with 6 inches of lift. Control arms, tracks bars, and a steering stabilizer all help. MPG is about -6 now but I'm cool with coasting to gas stations.

20190426_174653.jpg
You should look at regearing. If your gas is that bad and /or you’re loosing speed in 5th gear or your automatic down shifts on the interstate, you might need to.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MPG is about -6 now but I'm cool with coasting to gas stations.
You should look at regearing. If your gas is that bad and /or you’re loosing speed in 5th gear or your automatic down shifts on the interstate, you might need to.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was using sarcasm.

sarah.sosnicki

First Name
sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Trying to decide between 2 inch Mopar lift with Fox shocks or Teraflex lift with 3.3 Falcon shocks. I have a 2019 Sahara and have 35 inch Ridge Grapplers ordered. I like the fact that the Mopar lift gives more than 2 inches and I know Fox shocks are good, just worried about issues with spring bow. Can’t find many reviews on the Teraflex lift on JLs. I was told that the Teraflex lift is “softer” and will sag when a heavy bumper or winch is installed. Does anyone have any input on the Teraflex lift, or how much lift do you actually get with the 2.5 inch kit. Mainly a daily driver but like to hit the trails on the weekends.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Trying to decide between 2 inch Mopar lift with Fox shocks or Teraflex lift with 3.3 Falcon shocks. I have a 2019 Sahara and have 35 inch Ridge Grapplers ordered. I like the fact that the Mopar lift gives more than 2 inches and I know Fox shocks are good, just worried about issues with spring bow. Can’t find many reviews on the Teraflex lift on JLs. I was told that the Teraflex lift is “softer” and will sag when a heavy bumper or winch is installed. Does anyone have any input on the Teraflex lift, or how much lift do you actually get with the 2.5 inch kit. Mainly a daily driver but like to hit the trails on the weekends.
I know somebody that has the teraflex 2.5 and it is exactly 2.5 I have the Mopar lift and it is 3 inchs and you're right I love my fox shocks and Mopar lift. It is great and I have an awesome ride with my 2018 Rubicon I have no problems

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nearly all lifts from any manufacturer will net more than advertised "IF" it's installed on a Jeep that hasn't had heavy aftermarket components installed. Most suspension companies that I am aware of advertise their lift heights based on a Jeep that has been modified/upfitted with aftermarket bumpers, winch, armor, etc...

I know somebody that has the teraflex 2.5 and it is exactly 2.5 I have the Mopar lift and it is 3 inchs and you're right I love my fox shocks and Mopar lift. It is great and I have an awesome ride with my 2018 Rubicon I have no problems
The question I'd have there is whether that persons jeep was upfitted with bumpers and winch.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If you are really concerned about weight and will be more of an overlander you may want to check out the Old Man Emu lift kits made by ARB. They offer a heavy duty spring variant with no up charge.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Ordered 2020 JLUR 3.0l diesel and planning to lift it just enough to run Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 37X13.5R17 tires. I am planning only occasional medium level offroad. I am leaning toward Mopar 2” lift but not sure if diesel version is available. Given weight of Diesel engine 3.6 version might not work. Any information would be appreciated.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Ordered 2020 JLUR 3.0l diesel and planning to lift it just enough to run Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 37X13.5R17 tires. I am planning only occasional medium level offroad. I am leaning toward Mopar 2” lift but not sure if diesel version is available. Given weight of Diesel engine 3.6 version might not work. Any information would be appreciated.
Check out the ARB Old Man Emu lift kit with the heavy springs and the BP 51 shocks. You should be fine. Ride will be a bit stiff in the back if you are not carrying weight. Those springs are usually meant for overlanding rigs which usually have roof top tents, fridges, storage units, etc.

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Check out the ARB Old Man Emu lift kit with the heavy springs and the BP 51 shocks. You should be fine. Ride will be a bit stiff in the back if you are not carrying weight. Those springs are usually meant for overlanding rigs which usually have roof top tents, fridges, storage units, etc.
Truthfully, no one outside FCA knows how the weight is distributed in the new chassis or what the additional weight is. We have a diesel on order and will tear it apart upon arrival to start learning the chassis but there is no way to suggest a kit to suit their needs when the platform is still unknown at this time.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Unfortunately, you'll have to wait. You'll have roughly 3 options as follows:

JL spacer kit, not ideal as they don't provide caster correction or axle centering, they simply make the Jeep taller.

Mopar will likely be the first with a diesel specific option as they have had the jump start on the chassis compared to the rest of us.

Wait for the aftermarket diesel specific options.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Unfortunately, you'll have to wait. You'll have roughly 3 options as follows:

JL spacer kit, not ideal as they don't provide caster correction or axle centering, they simply make the Jeep taller.

Mopar will likely be the first with a diesel specific option as they have had the jump start on the chassis compared to the rest of us.

Wait for the aftermarket diesel specific options.
Called Mopar today. Inquired about diesel specific lift kit. Talked to very nice lady. She placed call to part department manager with question. Answer is no diesel version lift in existence for now.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Truthfully, no one outside FCA knows how the weight is distributed in the new chassis or what the additional weight is. We have a diesel on order and will tear it apart upon arrival to start learning the chassis but there is no way to suggest a kit to suit their needs when the platform is still unknown at this time.

The diesel engine is about 450 pounds heavier than the 3.6. Given that alone I would consider heavy duty springs if I didn't want to wait for a kit built for that model. If the person is willing to wait then I would wait until mfrs test & release a new variant.

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
That is cool. Please note: RK joints need to be greased every 3-5 months typically. That is the standard service interval. We hope if you have an aftermarket anything under your Jeep you are checking it out once and a while. Especially after off-road trips. So once a while having a service interval forces you to put your head under the vehicle and check things out which is a good thing. Good luck with your build.
How do you think that RK will compare with MetalCloak for ride comfort and on-road performance? Let's say it is for a JLUR with 37s. While we are at it, if good on-road driving characteristics are paramount, would you go with 2.5" or 3.5"?
Sponsored