CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hi All,

This is my first post, so thank you for taking a look. I bought a 2019 JLU Sport on Labor Day and I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a solution. I traded in my JKU but pulled my Sony XAV-AX1000 that I installed in it back in June, in hopes of installing it in the JLU. For the last couple weeks I've been going nuts trying to find a way to put it in! I hate the 5" UConnect 3 in it and literally just want Apple Carplay back. I'm far from an audiophile, I have no interest in throwing an amp or new speakers in. I travel for work a lot and Carplay is perfect for my needs.

Has anyone installed a comparable unit into their JL? I used the PAC RP4-CH11 in my JKU, will that work with the proper connector in the JL? I can't believe how difficult this has been. I've got a perfectly good head unit, that's 3 months old and have zero clue how to install it in this JL.

Thank you for any help!
Sponsored

Jeweler

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
Hi All,

This is my first post, so thank you for taking a look. I bought a 2019 JLU Sport on Labor Day and I've been driving myself nuts trying to find a solution. I traded in my JKU but pulled my Sony XAV-AX1000 that I installed in it back in June, in hopes of installing it in the JLU. For the last couple weeks I've been going nuts trying to find a way to put it in! I hate the 5" UConnect 3 in it and literally just want Apple Carplay back. I'm far from an audiophile, I have no interest in throwing an amp or new speakers in. I travel for work a lot and Carplay is perfect for my needs.

Has anyone installed a comparable unit into their JL? I used the PAC RP4-CH11 in my JKU, will that work with the proper connector in the JL? I can't believe how difficult this has been. I've got a perfectly good head unit, that's 3 months old and have zero clue how to install it in this JL.

Thank you for any help!
Problem is you will loose many functions that your OEM unit is hooked up to. Ability to change light settings, door lock settings and so forth. I don’t think anyone has come up with an aftermarket solution to this, so anyone wanting CarPlay has to get an OEM
7”or 8.4” Uconnect system. It’s is expensive and I know it is not what you want to hear right now, I feel your pain.
It is what it is .

OP
OP

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I found a 7” from a 2018 GC on eBay. I guess I need to figure out where to go from here.

McChunx

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Problem is you will loose many functions that your OEM unit is hooked up to. Ability to change light settings, door lock settings and so forth. I don’t think anyone has come up with an aftermarket solution to this, so anyone wanting CarPlay has to get an OEM
7”or 8.4” Uconnect system. It’s is expensive and I know it is not what you want to hear right now, I feel your pain.
It is what it is .
Have you looked into the Maestro iDatalink units? These are said to retain all OEM features and make them accessible through the aftermarket head unit.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Maestro iDatalink units
An iDatalink Maestro RR will allow you to keep your OEM functions. The issue you'll run into is getting a standard double DIN sized radio into the dash. There is very little room where the stock radio sits.

Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
An iDatalink Maestro RR will allow you to keep your OEM functions. The issue you'll run into is getting a standard double DIN sized radio into the dash. There is very little room where the stock radio sits.
Metra has a dash kit available for a double DIN, but as jludave said the aftermarket radio needs to be a shallow mount unit. A standard depth radio will not fit.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I found a 7” from a 2018 GC on eBay. I guess I need to figure out where to go from here.
i does not have proper camera connector and mounting points are different.

dd31

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport S
Bumping this is an old-ish thread. OP what was your solution? Or anyone else?
I'm looking at a sport (barebones, manual locks & windows). I absolutely love my sony xav-ax100 and want it in my new jeep. any info greatly appreciated

OP
OP

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never found one. So the XV1000 collects dust in my garage. I bought a cheap 7” Uconnect from a 2018 Grand Cherokee, dremeled the bezel of the unit and popped it in. Works totally fine, other than there’s no connection on the unit for my backup camera....so I’ve got no camera.

wish the XV could’ve worked, but it’s too deep. Metra has a kit for aftermarket now, just need to make sure it’s a shallow head unit
Sponsored