Sponsored

Aftermarket Gas Tanks?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Nevermind....not Jeep specific, but there are tons of tanks that might work at Summit.
I was looking at some the other day for an aux tank to go where the stock muffler fits. Waiting to pickup my 2020 to take some measurements but would be awesome for an extended tank from genright etc. that also gives a little more clearance.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to apologize if my ignorance comes through as judgmental.

The tanks desired here effectively make the stock gas tank larger???

...as opposed to Rotopax or Gerry can like solutions where the rig has to be pulled over and shut down to manually effect a fill of the stock tank with such devices?

This is me--and I may miss something. Far am I the last word. But does this refilling step's tasks prove frustrating enough that larger more permanent tanks are desired...or was the OP referring to solutions that Rotopax/Gerry can like purchases could solve?

Thanks.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I'd like to apologize if my ignorance comes through as judgmental.

The tanks desired here effectively make the stock gas tank larger???

...as opposed to Rotopax or Gerry can like solutions where the rig has to be pulled over and shut down to manually effect a fill of the stock tank with such devices?

This is me--and I may miss something. Far am I the last word. But does this refilling step's tasks prove frustrating enough that larger more permanent tanks are desired...or was the OP referring to solutions that Rotopax/Gerry can like purchases could solve?

Thanks.
Well for one, Rotopax are pretty small. At best you are getting 4 gallons with that double Rotopax and I guess if you had 2 that would be 8 gallons. I personally find those big ones a bit ugly and I would much rather just have a larger gas tank to begin with. It is never about one option being "frustrating enough" - someone always has a preference. I like the Rotopax idea, but it would also be nice to just have more fuel from the get go.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've been asking for this since I peeked under my Rubi day 1.

Roam was promising a larger tank but I asked about a tank flush with framerails....crickets (and, apparently, crickets on their bigger tanks, too)

I think you could go flatter and just A LITTLE longer and lose virtually no capacity

Jeep really phoned it in with the tank design

NOW, bonus points if you try a body lift, modify the frame crossmembers ABOVE the tank, and shove it all up. If I were retired/independently wealthy I'd actually try that. As it is I just don't have the time to do it RIGHT, plus I don't really want to go any higher after my MC 2.5" lift

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That's what I've contemplated as well. Too many projects in my shop already though.....maybe once it's out of warranty.

I'm probably going XX 4link in back at some point (if/when I do the 14B)...and at that point, a tank in the very back may be the best solution.
That's not a bad idea at all - with the muffler gone there's decent room back there....not enough for camping and 'wheeling perhaps (ahem, I'm sorry, we call that "overlanding" now if we wanna be hipsters) but plenty for buggy work with a tow rig

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
No....the ones I (OP) was looking at were probably going to reduce overall capacity by a few gallons. I was REPLACING the factory tank entirely.

You're thinking of trying to get extra capacity. I dont' care about that....I want better ground clearance.
This reminds me of when the Ford Explorer was first released with a third row and the gasoline tank was designed like....

….the box the soft windows come in when you order the Dual top....

long, wide, but tiny depth...like the box a "folded up legs party table" might come in...;)

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Awesome find ! That is what I was looking for personally for my longer exploration trips and road trips where I may put 1000 miles a day down on the highway.
Yep. I got the idea from Chris via his channel Venture4wd on youtube. Heres his episode on the tank install.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Awesome find ! That is what I was looking for personally for my longer exploration trips and road trips where I may put 1000 miles a day down on the highway.
I couldnt get that link to work but I'm of the same mindset. I didnt buy this rig to seek out hard core stuff, I just want to be able to do it if it comes up on me on some big trips I want to do. I need maybe a 600 mile range.
I dont want to do a body lift if I can help it and I did think about a tank (or ARB) in the muffler spot.

I plan on a some sort of local trip this spring and summer with a dirt bike in tow. A lot of it will be learning if what I have works and find out what I need for a trip to Chile or abroad somewhere. Hoping aftermarket comes to the rescue sooner rather then later.

BTW I dont know how much the stock tank sticks down but ARTEC alum skid plate system removes the stock skid with their own and it nets you 3/4 inches of clearance.
Sponsored