Sponsored

Aftermarket fixes for wandering and drifting steering??

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
As noted above lowers are all you need. I would start out making them 1/4" longer than stock, see how she rides. Go from there.

As for track bars you only need them if your axles are no longer centered. If they are, I wouldn' worry about it.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
As noted above lowers are all you need. I would start out making them 1/4" longer than stock, see how she rides. Go from there.

As for track bars you only need them if your axles are no longer centered. If they are, I wouldn' worry about it.
ANY amount of lift is going to pull your able out of center. It either wasn't centered stock or it isn't centered lifted. It's impossible to lift without moving the axle.

chain

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 JL 2dr Rubicon
ANY amount of lift is going to pull your able out of center. It either wasn't centered stock or it isn't centered lifted. It's impossible to lift without moving the axle.
I totally agree and would never argue that. That being said if someone feels it's not that noticeable they could get away with it. When I lifted my Jeep just two inches it was noticeable enough for me that I installed adjustable track bars. I know they are off center but if someone doesn't notice it enough to bother them, I figure let them roll. As a machinist, I can't let it go.

Last edited:

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
Thank you. Definitely going to look into this. Recommendations on adjustable control arms? Do I need upper and lower? What about the control arm drop brackets, like the TeraFlex? Necessary?

In regards to the control arms I would recommend the adjustable Teraflex control arms:

teraflex-1416500-alpine-adjustable-front-lower-flexarms-jeep-wrangler-jl.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/teraflex/alpine-adjustable-flexarms-jeep-wrangler-jl

If you were interested in an adjustable front track bar also:

Rancho-RS62128-Front-Adjustable-Track-Bar-Jeep-Wrangler-JL.jpg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/front-adjustable-track-bar-jeep-wrangler-jl

If you have any questions just let us know or you can PM us for a quote

Thank you and have a great day,
Hailey

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
@Quadratec at TDS Teraflex had their trackbars to show. Do you happen to know when those will be released?

Sponsored

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Wheel PSI & Alignment (adjustable track bar, lca, etc. if needed to get within stock spec).

I dropped my 37” Toyo RTs from 40 PSI to 28 PSI & it really made the feel & drive much better. I have a 2.5” RC coil spacer lift w/adj track bar. My Jeep drives awesome!

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5, 88XJ, 97ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ, 05TJ, 19JLUS
I haven't measured my caster angle but agree it could be increased. 2019 JLUS stock wobbles across bridge expansion joints and seems to be very sensitive to wind and wandering above 55. Putting Rubi suspension on soon, will probably let adjustable LCAs to help it. Disappointing from jeep to have this issue -- despite that, it's a plush ride. I always laugh everytime I take the 78 CJ5 to work now, comparing it to the JL ride.

OP
OP
inn8ive

inn8ive

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
Occupation
Technical Director
Vehicle Showcase
Wheel PSI & Alignment (adjustable track bar, lca, etc. if needed to get within stock spec).

I dropped my 37” Toyo RTs from 40 PSI to 28 PSI & it really made the feel & drive much better. I have a 2.5” RC coil spacer lift w/adj track bar. My Jeep drives awesome!
Thanks for the info. I will say I'm very jealous of your awesome driving Jeep!

I'm running 35" Toyo AT2s. Currently at 34psi but might try dropping them down this weekend to see if it helps. Definitely going to install some lower control arms next week and report back.

It came stock from the dealership (255x70x18) at 42psi and dropping down to 35 really helped the steering at lower speeds, but still wandered quite a bit on the highway. Similarly to what it's doing now after the lift and tires. No real changes, better or worse after lifting.

-- despite that, it's a plush ride. I always laugh everytime I take the 78 CJ5 to work now, comparing it to the JL ride.
I couldn't agree more that it's a plush ride. I love everything about it -- except the steering... for now.

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I do have to say, I’m used to driving trucks & vehicles with wide tires in general, so I can say that I’m used to the wandering people describe & that may make my take on drivability biased. It does lack the weight that my superduty has, so it will want to wander more than a heavy truck, especially in high winds, at high speed, & when there’s rutts in the road. It’s doesn’t require much resistance to steer straight, but I can’t necessarily take my hands off the steering wheel all the time, but if I do, it doesn’t just pull any direction rapidly. I’m very happy with the way it drives & so is my gf, but maybe some people are more used to a Lexus or Cadillac that lacks the steering input of less refined vehicles like a superduty.

The JKs drove like H2s without the ass IMO..so I felt they threw you around more. The JLs are way more refined IMO, but they’re still not a “Cadillac” if you get what I mean.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
Stock front (and rear) track bar is a lightweight worthless piece of shit. While I didnt have any steering issues, I did put an RK track bar front and rear to correct for my Mopar lift. Steering feel improved massively just with the new track bar. My caster is at 5 degrees.

Sponsored

SaddleTramp

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Actually gonna need less caster with more lift to keep that pinion angle in check.
I wouldn't worry about the pinion angle as much as we did on JK's, remember with the FAD, nothing is turning in the front unless it's in 4wd and when it is, speed and pinion angles aren't that big of a deal. I'd set castor at 6-6.5 degrees regardless of pinion angle and call it a day.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
My new 2019 model *stock* rubicon 2 door recently arrived and I WAS HOPING that i wouldn't have the wobble/wandering. Sadly, it wobbles going over bridge expansion joints and it wanders. Pisses me off so much, but I knew the possibility before I ordered it.

I thought about taking it to the dealership, but no one ever seems to do well with doing that, so HOPEFULLY this thread will offer some form of solution.
Even if you think the dealer can't do anything with it, let them look at it so you have documentation. Check alignment torques specs and so on. If you mod it in the future, they can point to the mod as the cause. At least then you have doc to point to. Does yours have the looseness and excessive play the the steering wheel?

I'm just putting it out there that some dealers are mod friendly and very helpful while others aren't.

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
@Quadratec at TDS Teraflex had their trackbars to show. Do you happen to know when those will be released?
I apologize for the delay with a response on this. Teraflex said that they should be coming out any day now. Just keep an eye out for them as they will be coming soon!

Thank you,
Hailey

jwindstein

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Everyone with the mopar lift running adj. track bars front and rear, what length did you set them to when you installed them? just wondering where to start with mine when I go to install them.