Aftermarket Door Sill Guard Removal?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyone have any experience removing the after market door sill guards. Originally (last year) I installed as set from Quadratec, but they left a gap between the door and the body which lets in water, smoke, corona, whatever. Now I have the Rugged Ridge set ready to go on, but I don't want to wind up peeling the paint underneath in the process of getting them off. Has anyone successfully done this? I deliberately waited until it got warmer here so that the glue would be a little softer.
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Anyone have any experience removing the after market door sill guards. Originally (last year) I installed as set from Quadratec, but they left a gap between the door and the body which lets in water, smoke, corona, whatever. Now I have the Rugged Ridge set ready to go on, but I don't want to wind up peeling the paint underneath in the process of getting them off. Has anyone successfully done this? I deliberately waited until it got warmer here so that the glue would be a little softer.
I had the factory ones installed when I bought the JL and also replaced with the Rugged Ridge version. I just pried them off using a trim tool to get started. Took some effort as they were stuck on very good but didn’t leave any marks that I recall. Would’ve made sense to heat it first to soften the glue. Hair dryer or heat gun for a minute or so would be a big help I would imagine. Pretty easy overall and the RR are nice.

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
I removed my Quadratec ones a few months ago because they let water in. I used a heat gun to warm the glue up and then worked them loose with a plastic trim tool. Hair dryer would probably work also. Took a little bit of effort, but did not damage the paint at all.
Sponsored