First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What’s y’alls take on installing aftermarket differential covers (Motobilt to match my bumpers) & any issues they’d give me with any powertrain warranty issues? I just got the Jeep in February, so not looking to void the powertrain warranty. I’m seeing if anyone has ever had issues with that or heard of anyone having issues with that. I could even take a step further & have the dealership do the install & replace the fluid. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It depends all on the dealer. Some will ignore it as long as it's been installed right and refilled right; some will use it as a reason to void your warranty over any diff/axle issues; some will use it to void warranty on entire powertrain.

If in doubt perhaps ask the dealer service manager their opinion before doing it..... and have a dialogue over it.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
On something so incredibly simple, it should be a non issue. Do what you want, and if there’s every any power train problem where you need to take it in and imagine there might be an issue, put the OEM one back on. Nobody will ever know you had the aftermarket one.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Be picky about aftermarket diff covers. Take a look at the videos that Banks Power did on stock vs. aftermarket covers. Shape is very important to the fluid dynamics in the housing.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
On something so incredibly simple, it should be a non issue. Do what you want, and if there’s every any power train problem where you need to take it in and imagine there might be an issue, put the OEM one back on. Nobody will ever know you had the aftermarket one.
I would have agreed with you , UNTIL I watched the Dale Banks videos on this subject.
The internal shape of the cover affects lubricant path, temperature, film strength, so many important variables I never thought a "simple" differential cover could influence.
So YES, a simple mod like a differential cover could void the Warranty, and shorten your gear life.... Please take the time to watch,and learn...

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would have agreed with you , UNTIL I watched the Dale Banks videos on this subject.
The internal shape of the cover affects lubricant path, temperature, film strength, so many important variables I never thought a "simple" differential cover could influence.
So YES, a simple mod like a differential cover could void the Warranty, and shorten your gear life.... Please take the time to watch,and learn...
I watched it some time ago. It was eye opening to me, I learned stuff. However, I still maintain that if there was a power train warranty issue and he were taking it in I’d recommend switching back to stock to avoid that issue altogether. Let’s say it’s a transfer case or transmission issue. It would suck to have the dealership or FCA point to the diff cover as a reason not to fix ANYTHING related to the power train that might have nothing to do with the cover. Hence my thought that I’d simply revert to stock before taking it in.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Be picky about aftermarket diff covers. Take a look at the videos that Banks Power did on stock vs. aftermarket covers. Shape is very important to the fluid dynamics in the housing.

Every day’s a school day.....thanks for posting this, I learnt a lot.

I’m off to watch more of his videos to learn some more. I’m in the UK and hadn’t heard of him before. :thumbsup

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I've watched the same video's myself. We have also built the flat diff covers for over 15 years in our current business and ones that we have run before. We have never had or even heard of anyone ever having and issue. If these were 200 mph race cars or trucks pulling 15,000 lbs across the country then I could see how the cover could possibly make a difference. I think the point he is trying to make in the video's is that the flat aluminum finned covers claim they help keep gear temps down, when they do not.

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge Ram

Banks seems to have abandoned his attempt to discredit aftermarket diff covers. I can tell you for a fact that my diff runs cooler with an aftermarket finned cover with increased capacity on my Ram 2500 that I deliver RVs with.
Sponsored