Sponsored

Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate?

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
I have a Blue Ox baseplate on my 2018 JL 2 door sport and want to upgrade from the plastic stock bumper to something more protective when I do mild off roading. Are there any aftermarket bumpers that won't interfere with the baseplate?
Sponsored

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I donā€™t have the baseplate, but instead purchased a LOD Destroyer bumper with the ancillary equipment to tow with my Blue Ox tow bar from the shackle points. It has worked well for me. Here are a couple pics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate? BE4CA652-41F5-42E4-97B9-76F1204FDBA0

Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate? 90D99DFD-ADBE-46D9-BE07-B572C85B04F5

The bumper mounts pretty high, so it looks like it can be used with the baseplate. However, as you can see in the second photo, you canā€™t use the the LOD skid plate with the baseplate without some significant modifications.

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see several bumper mfgs that now support direct towing but 2 years ago the Blue Ox base plate was the only option for my JL. Obviously removing it is an option but I still wonder if there's a bumper I can use with the base plate already installed.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Iā€™ll be happy to pull some dimension off my bumper if it will help.

OP
OP
kantho

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your offer. Measurements alone probably won't help me much. I'm pretty new at this. :)

Sponsored

mcdanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WU JL, 2011 Ford SD PS
I ordered an aluminum bumper for my 2018 JLUS (that is yet to be delivered) from Rockhard4x4. It bolts to the frame of the jeep and the brackets act as the base plate that my aluminum Blue Ox bar will attach to. Safety chains will go to the rings on the bumper. Ill let you know how it fits when i get it. Also went with the RVi3 brake controller.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered an aluminum bumper for my 2018 JLUS (that is yet to be delivered) from Rockhard4x4. It bolts to the frame of the jeep and the brackets act as the base plate that my aluminum Blue Ox bar will attach to. Safety chains will go to the rings on the bumper. Ill let you know how it fits when i get it. Also went with the RVi3 brake controller.
Please post pictures when you get it. I too want an aluminum bumper and have an RVi3 that I use on my LJRU and want use it also for the JLRU. To the OP, get the bumper that you like and get theses for it. I would assume they would fit most bumpers (but do your homework). https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...-accessories/blue-ox-tow-bar-adaptor-kit.html

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t have the baseplate, but instead purchased a LOD Destroyer bumper with the ancillary equipment to tow with my Blue Ox tow bar from the shackle points. It has worked well for me. Here are a couple pics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate? 90D99DFD-ADBE-46D9-BE07-B572C85B04F5

The bumper mounts pretty high, so it looks like it can be used with the baseplate. However, as you can see in the second photo, you canā€™t use the the LOD skid plate with the baseplate without some significant modifications.
Can I ask what you use to tow it with? Do you use an RV? I want to do a setup like this and I'm wondering how much higher I have to make the receiver to tow the Jeep? How tall of an adapter is any on the RV receiver? Thanks

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can I ask what you use to tow it with? Do you use an RV? I want to do a setup like this and I'm wondering how much higher I have to make the receiver to tow the Jeep? How tall of an adapter is any on the RV receiver? Thanks
I tow with a MB Sprinter. I use a receiver adapter with an 8-inch rise to minimize the angle of the tow bar. I believe Blue Ox recommends +/- 3ā€ from level. (The jeep has a 2.5+ā€ lift on 35s. The Sprinter also has a little lift! But I donā€™t recall how much.)
Hereā€™s a photos of the Sprinter with Jeep. Unfortunately I couldnā€™t find a pic showing my tow setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate? 4CD5CC36-3566-429C-BA5E-975CD887324F

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I tow with a MB Sprinter. I use a receiver adapter with an 8-inch rise to minimize the angle of the tow bar. I believe Blue Ox recommends +/- 3ā€ from level. (The jeep has a 2.5+ā€ lift on 35s. The Sprinter also has a little lift! But I donā€™t recall how much.)
Hereā€™s a photos of the Sprinter with Jeep. Unfortunately I couldnā€™t find a pic showing my tow setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket bumper with Blue Ox baseplate? 4CD5CC36-3566-429C-BA5E-975CD887324F
Thanks. I don't think there is much I can do. I'm going to have to get a high low adapter.
Sponsored