Aftermarket bumper sag and driveability

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I bought a winch this weekend. It's 85 lbs.

I'm now searching for an aftermarket bumper to mount it in. I'm seeing the aluminum one from Quadratec which is the same weight as the stock Sport bumper but it's $$$$$$$ and then you've got the traditional steel bumpers which are inexpensive but HEAVY. The two I've narrowed my search to are the Smittybilt XRC and the Quadratec QRC. Both seem to check in at around 110 lbs.

So, if I do this I'll basically be adding 200 lbs. to the front of my Jeep, minus what little bit the plastic bumper weighs.

Can those of you with aftermarket bumpers and winches please comment on how much sag you saw in the front end? How much did the weight affect driveability? Did you notice poor handling after the installation? Is everything going to be fine and I'm overthinking this?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Is everything going to be fine and I'm overthinking this?
Probably. If you do nothing all will still be well. If you sag a little and it bothers you, put an appropriate sized spacer on the front coil springs. I used s 1/2” spacer in front when I lifted to compensate for a winch and heavier bumper. I installed the winch, but ended up deciding that I like to OEM bumper with the end caps removed so I haven’t changed it yet.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So in terms of driveability you guys haven't really noticed anything crazy? The handling doesn't get stupid with 200 lbs. hanging off the front?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Grab a crazy friend that weights 200lbs, strap his butt to the bumper and go for a drive :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So in terms of driveability you guys haven't really noticed anything crazy? The handling doesn't get stupid with 200 lbs. hanging off the front?
Nope, not anything crazy. It’s a little bit squatty and nose-divey under hard acceleration or braking, but it’s like that normally compared to a car anyway and a bit more so with the lift. I don’t think the winch made it worse. Still have OEM steel bumper.

Rubicrush

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon
I have the Poison Spyder Bruiser front bumper and a winch. The front sagged about 3/4" but it didn't affect anything but the looks. I now have the matching rear bumper and heavier wheel/tire on the rear so it evened out again. This is stock suspension by the way.
Side Rubicon.jpg
Sponsored