Sponsored

Aftermarket alarm system for Jeeps

Do you have or are you getting an aftermarket alarm for your Jeep?

• Total voters

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Has anyone used an alarm system in their Jeep? I had a Viper alarm w/ a proximity sensor on my Jeep back in the 90's. The sensor put a "bubble" or perimeter around your vehicle. If you stuck your hand in, the alarm would go off. It was useful, especially when some kids tripped it by trying to remove my tonneau cover one night. Just curious if people use them on their Jeeps these days, especially when the top and doors are off.

What brand are you using and how often are you getting a false alarms?

If you don't use an alarm and you have a soft top, do you lock your doors, or keep them unlocked to avoid having your top slashed?
Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also very interested in this. I know a few used Viper in the past; just wondering what model, and if better options now available.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I never lock my soft top only Jeep. I had a after-market under seat lock box in my JK. Will be looking for one for the JL. There are also locking options for the space behind rear seats (but most use the tailgate as part of closure so not good for this purpose.) I don't depend on the center console or glove compartment for secure storage. Never lock those either. Have never used an alarm, but keep garaged at home. In the city, there are always alarms going off and no one notices them.

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a TJ with a soft top and never locked the doors I would rather them take what they want, instead of cutting my soft top to get in the Jeep.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I was thinking this as well. I would like to put in a Viper with the 2 mile 2-way remote and the dual stage proximity alarm. This way, if someone is messing with my jeep, not only will it scream (and yes, there are some really LOUD sirens) but my remote will beep and buzz as well.

I had my last truck broken into 3 times and stolen once before I finally got to put this in. Afterwards, no one seems to touch it. ... as a side note, it was stolen from in front of a movie theater while we where watching.... Fast and Furious 5 (a movie about stealing cars).

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
my old yj i would not lock it nor did i have a alarm on it, had a metal box in the rear that would close up with the tailgate that worked and would lock the tailgate, to prevent people from stealing the jeep i had a kill switch installed hidden under the dash

johnnyp26

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubi Hard Rock
I have the Viper setup with proximity and a few other goodies in my current JK. I saw mention of a dual zone in the comments above, if that's an option I'll probably do it again. I tend to run topless and doorless a lot and it was great to have it go off when people would stick their hands in when it was parked somewhere. The biggest problem I have is there is no real coverage for the back seat and trunk area, so if a second zone could be set up that would be great. It will be a little more tricky to hide the wiring this time around though with no rollbar padding.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I've owned 2 mustang convertibles, parked all over the city, good and bad, and never once had I had my top cut. I don't know if it's because I always black out my cars so the top isn't as noticeable. I've had people's mind blown when they saw the roof moving, because they didn't even notice it was a soft top.

It shouldn't be as noticeable in an all black wrangler, especially with window frames going up to the roofline.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My brother has a pitbull that sleeps in his Jeep. oddly nobody messes with it.

I think the key is to not leave stuff in it. In big cities in CA, your window gets smashed out almost insta-magically and your stuff gone. (partially cause hippies decided to make crimes not crimes so we have less criminals.. whaaat?)

Any visible bag or backs pack or laptop will get ya smashed and grabbed (basically convertible top means nothing when they can break window in 1 second)

At home, going to consider a smart camera or something. I need to take the garage back from my Boxers that have turned the garage into a rainy day wrestling pit (Oddly they dont like getting their feet wet while they wrestle)

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Tinting your windows also helps. You can't see inside my vehicle at any time of day.

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Don't install an alarm that fires off when someone touches the vehicle. One of my neighbors did install one. Kids fooling around at night would touch the car and run for it. It was loud enough to wake the neighborhood (it was always left outside in the driveway). The alarm would wake everyone up.
This happened repeatedly. Eventually someone left a note on the windshield telling the owner to shut the alarm off. He didn't and several more times the alarm went of. He came out for a final time and found that someone had bashed in his windshield. He never activated the alarm again!

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Alarms are super 90s now. No-one cares if one is going off. Just like that bashed in windshield, people will just hate you for it and it's hardly a deterrent for a pro.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Just to side-track this thread a bit, what also pisses me off are the locked-door indicators tied to the vehicle horn.
My car has a two-tone soft tone ~90dB for that, while Honda, Nissan, Toyota - especially the low-end vehicles- just use the full 130dB horn for the lock or lock-confirm.

There is nothing like sitting at lunch outside with 10 cars facing you and some idiot confirming that he locked his precious Sentra or Camry LE while people are shocked awake in their seats.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Just to side-track this thread a bit, what also pisses me off are the locked-door indicators tied to the vehicle horn.
My car has a two-tone soft tone ~90dB for that, while Honda, Nissan, Toyota - especially the low-end vehicles- just use the full 130dB horn for the lock or lock-confirm.

There is nothing like sitting at lunch outside with 10 cars facing you and some idiot confirming that he locked his precious Sentra or Camry LE while people are shocked awake in their seats.
Thankfully, the JL can disable the horn signal for locks. You can choose to get a horn for the lock or only if you press the lock button twice, or not at all. Similarly, you can choose whether or not to blink the lights for a lock signal. (You can also disable the horn for remote start.) All this easy in the UConnect screen.
Sponsored