Sponsored

Aftermarket alarm system for Jeeps

Do you have or are you getting an aftermarket alarm for your Jeep?

• Total voters

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I run an Alpine 8026 iirc with dual zone proximity sensor in my softtop TJ. has worked flawlessly for 20 years. Id buy another for the jl if i could find one.
Sponsored

Gron86

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After market alarms were popular in the 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s. Now they are pretty much obsolete. With all the hi-tech electronics and infotainment systems used in todayā€™s cars, an after market alarm will only cause trouble.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After market alarms were popular in the 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s. Now they are pretty much obsolete. With all the hi-tech electronics and infotainment systems used in todayā€™s cars, an after market alarm will only cause trouble.
I wouldnt nessarily think that. If you set them up right the can be used as a secondary system with no interaction with tne infotainment system. Thats how my old alpine is. I could put it on the jl easy and it came with its own status screen that logged alarm trips and time.

I run a scorpio with prox on my cycle the same way.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Iā€™m installing one this weekend but not for the alarm. Iā€™m doing it because itā€™s going to unlock my OEM power lock actuators in my powerless sport.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m installing one this weekend but not for the alarm. Iā€™m doing it because itā€™s going to unlock my OEM power lock actuators in my powerless sport.
Did u add the actuators

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Did u add the actuators
Yup, one down 3 to go. The swing gate already contains one ready with power. Not sure why. Guess Mopar didnā€™t want two separate parts for that.

Iā€™m going to do a write up when Iā€™m done.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, one down 3 to go. The swing gate already contains one ready with power. Not sure why. Guess Mopar didnā€™t want two separate parts for that.

Iā€™m going to do a write up when Iā€™m done.
Cool. Please share. Not having power locks on the JL U is a pain in the butt

40ā€JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Can you actually steal a JL? With the chip keys and all, is this still a thing?
People can steal Lamborghiniā€™s and super high end Mercedes AMGā€™s etc.

Iā€™m sure the JL would be the kindergarten equivalent of stealing those.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I leave my top off and lock my doors window up on my 2D JLR but people can climb in the back and open all the unlock storage... I'm looking for something that just makes noise if they climb in. Would that be a proximity alarm....

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing added. Search on how key fobs directly caused the increase in car jackings. Now you have car hacking.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Just bumping this up to see if anybody has any RESPONSIVE answers to the original alarm question.

I donā€™t need advice on leaving the Jeep unlocked, tinting windows, leaving the Jeep in the garage, staying in safe areas, putting the Jeep behind a fence, or installing a guard dog. But, if you have any experience with a reliable two-way alarm system Iā€™d love to hear about that. If you have advice on an alarm to stay away from Iā€™d love to hear about that too.

Weā€™re waist-deep in criminals here in Oregon, and itā€™s getting worse with west coast style ā€œjustice reformā€, but if you stay out of Portland, Eugene, and Bend which have all been filled with Californians and imported, sophisticated, big-city criminals from California, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, and elsewhere, youā€™re most likely to be victimized by one of our many juvenile delinquents and drug-addled ā€unhoused campersā€, most of which aren't particularly smart or thoughtful. Also, although the big city folks apparently hear car alarms 24x7, I havenā€™t heard one in at least two years. So, for our low-tooth-to-head-count criminals, a blaring alarm, flashing lights, and approaching crowd stand a decent chance of adding pressure, and discouraging them. It wonā€™t take me that long to get to the Jeep.

We want to be able to run the Jeep with the top off and, occasionally, visit a restaurant or store without having to post a security detachment by the Jeep. Iā€˜m installing some secure storage which would probably delay most of our bottom-tier criminals long enough for me to get outside, but the proximity alarm(s) need to work, and they canā€™t be prone to persistent false alarms. Iā€™d also like to be able to turn off the audible alarm feature , so the alarm only chips, flashes, and sends me a text.

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Just bumping this up to see if anybody has any RESPONSIVE answers to the original alarm question.

I donā€™t need advice on leaving the Jeep unlocked, tinting windows, leaving the Jeep in the garage, staying in safe areas, putting the Jeep behind a fence, or installing a guard dog. But, if you have any experience with a reliable two-way alarm system Iā€™d love to hear about that. If you have advice on an lark to stay away from Iā€™d love to hear about that too.

Weā€™re waist-deep in criminals here in Oregon, and itā€™s getting worse with west coast style ā€œjustice reformā€, but if you stay out of Portland, Eugene, and Bend which have all been filled with Californians and imported, sophisticated, big-city criminals from California, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, and elsewhere, youā€™re most likely to be victimized by one of our many juvenile delinquents and drug-addled ā€unhoused campersā€,, neither of which are particularly smart or thoughtful. Also, although the big city folks apparently hear car alarms 24x7, I havenā€™t heard one in at least a year or two. So, for our low-tooth-to-head-count criminals, a blaring alarm, flashing lights, and approaching crowd stand a decent chance of drawing attention, adding pressure, and discouraging them. It wonā€™t take me that long to get to the Jeep.

We want to be able to run the Jeep with the top off and, occasionally, visit a restaurant or a store without having to post a security detachment by the Jeep. Iā€˜m installing some secure storage which would probably delay most of our bottom-tier criminals long enough for me to get outside, but the proximity alarm(s) need to work, and they canā€™t be prone to persistent false alarms. Iā€™d also like to be able to turn off the audible alarm feature , so the alarm only chips, flashes, and sends me a text.
I did a quick search out of curiosity, looks like a highly rated Viper is the way to go. Out of stock on Crutchfield, but you can see model number and reviews. Probably find one on Amazon or eBay.
Personally, I don't leave anything of value in the Jeep. I even put the toolkit in the house.

somonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 nissan pickup, 2003 s2000, 2012 x6, 2013 fit
the proximity alarm(s) need to work, and they canā€™t be prone to persistent false alarms. Iā€™d also like to be able to turn off the audible alarm feature , so the alarm only chips, flashes, and sends me a text.
I did a quick search out of curiosity, looks like a highly rated Viper is the way to go.
The Viper SmartStart (I have a Clifford-branded but essentially identical model on my S2000) has a variety of optional, configurable, and remote-defeatable sensors. Different button presses will deactivate the various "zones" of detection. Parking lights and flashed horn output are optional. Silent arming or chirp is remote selectable with each actuation. You don't have to connect the siren if you don't want that.

The mass-motion (radar) sensor has two zones, a loose "warning" chirp zone and a tighter "instant alarm" zone, both of which are adjustable from SUPER Sensitive to Dead Numb. This type of sensor is pretty crude, though. The farther away an object is, the larger and faster moving it has to be to trip the alarm.
Set up properly for me, It's been reliable and doesn't false.

TEXT or PUSH EMAIL NOTIFICATION can be configured via a smarphone app for:
* full alarm events
* enter/exit geofences
* exceeding a single set max vehicle speed
* low system voltage (dead battery) warning
But this REQUIRES AN ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION FEE, which is all-inclusive for GPS and cellular functionality (uses AT&T's network I believe).
You can use the cellular connection to remote start, unlock, or lock the car. But, if you have poor AT&T mobile reception, you'll lose contact with the car.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I googled, read some reviews, watched a couple YouTube installation videos, and checked Amazon before posting here. Unfortunately, Amazon didnā€™t have the highest-rated Viper system, and I couldnā€™t figure out if the system that was offered was configurable with two proximity sensors, which I gather is necessary to cover a wrangler unlimited interior, especially if the sensor sensitivity is turned down enough to eliminate false alarms.

The Viper got generally great reviews, but I didnā€™t realize that the same/equivalent system was sold by Clifford. Iā€™ll check availability of Clifford too.

I understand the wisdom of not leaving valuables in the Jeep if itā€™s parked on the street at night. I donā€™t leave laptops, weapons, or camera gear sitting on my seats unattended. Unfortunately, my wheels and tires, ARB compressor, winch, tools, recovery gear, fire extinguishers, flashlights, and emergency/first aid equipment are all relatively easy to steal and expensive to replace. The tool box and contents were over $1000, and the emergency medical kit was over $2500 with the AED. Leaving all of this stuff safely at home defeats the purpose of owning it. We want to be able to drive to the beach or run in the mountains and still be able to stop to fish or grab a bite to eat without losing the contents of the Jeep. Ideally, weā€™d like to be able to safely stop at a motel once in a while, but our days of being able to do that safely in Oregon have probably passed.

Iā€˜m hoping the Tuffy security deck will allow me to keep most of the easily portable valuables out of sight and harder/slower to access. The purpose of the alarm is to tell me when somebody is working at accessing or removing our stuff, so I can interrupt it.

Thanks again for the information. Iā€™m heading back to Amazon and Google!
Sponsored