Sponsored

Aftermarket 9" Alpine i209-wra-jl radio

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
For those of us with the crappy base 5" radio. Alpine showed off a new 9" radio back in 2018. It got delayed due to supplier issues. At least that's what they reported. It was going to run with a MSRP of $2399. Have all the capability and more than the 8.4" upgraded radio. Facebooked them and asked when it was going to be released. They cancelled that version and have a new version. It's called the X409-WRA-JL. Supposed to released on November 25th 2019. And it runs with a MSRP of $2999.00. Supposed to be even better than the cancelled i209. Thinking that might just be a little too much. Have to wait for it to go on sale for 50% off. LOL! Or maybe have them give me one and installed for free. For promotional purposes! I'll be waiting anxiously to hear from them.
Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Saw it on Quadratec and was shocked at the price....who is going to pay $3000 USD for a head unit?

OP
OP
future ocean blue

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I will buy the Alpine as soon as it ships. I purchased the 8.4” from Infotainment. Great folks. However, I hit the USB ports not working with CarPlay after three days. My 7” works absolutely fine with the USB. 8.4” fails. I basically have an unsupported 8.4” brick.
$3k for something that works, is supported, and water resistant is better than a $1600 brick! FCA won’t support you if the 8.4” didn’t come in your Jeep from the factory. Getting software updates for it if you installed it after purchase is a total pain, if even possible.

the Alpine seems to be a screaming deal in comparison

Scott_S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Ahh. I hadn't realized the i209 was cancelled with this announcement. I'm curious what the differences are between this and the (slightly) cheaper cancelled version. The only obvious one is that the x409 includes navigation onboard (including offroad nav), while the i209 relied on carplay/android auto for that. Are there any other improvements in this new model vs. the cancelled i209 (or the JK version of the i209)?

Apparently Insane Audio is close to releasing their JL head unit too. I guess the price isn't announced, but if it's anything like their JK head unit, it should be about half the price of the Alpine (some details posted in this Gladiator forum post):
Aftermarket audio w/ nav.

suburban_jeep_dad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Soft Top
If you already have the rubicon with 8.4 system with the premium speakers is there really any reason to move to this new head unit. I mean are there any additional bells and whistles or is this more meant for those without the rubicon and 8.4 system?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

If you read about all the random weird issues folks are having with the 8.4"... assuming that the Alpine unit works as well as Alpine units have a reputation for doing, having as unit that works and is actually supported by its manufacturer are the two biggest wins in my book.

If you did not get the 8.4" factory installed, it is really the only viable option that is supported well by a manufacturer.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
Well this answered my question if I needed to upgrade to the Sahara just to get the 8.4 inch screen. This looks awesome
Sponsored