After Program Review/Feedback

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon - Sting Gray
Got my Tazer JL approx 2 weeks ago.

Super fast delivery!

As many others have posted, the two connectors were a PIA. I have bigger hands, so it was a tight fit to get my hands/fingers up under the dash to disco the plugs. Once I did, it went easy from there.

I’m hoping to get some feedback a/o other reviews after the program (install) is as complete.

i.e., MPG improvements, miles to empty range improvements, smoother gear shifting, etc.

Issues, glitches, concerns or any desired effects that aren’t working as you had hoped, etc.

Two things I’ve noticed or experienced that I’m watching are:

- Fan (exterior) seems like it’s running harder and louder after program (install). I did not mess with the fan speed setting in Tazer setup screen, so idk what’s going on there.

- Over the past 2 or so weeks, my radio has shut down on its own, twice. I don’t like that.
I am able to turn the radio back on but it’s concerning that it has shut down (as if I powered it down) on its own, twice.

Anyone experience this, have any like occurrences or have other feedback/reviews, do’s/don’ts they want to share??

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Got my Tazer JL approx 2 weeks ago.

Super fast delivery!

As many others have posted, the two connectors were a PIA. I have bigger hands, so it was a tight fit to get my hands/fingers up under the dash to disco the plugs. Once I did, it went easy from there.

I’m hoping to get some feedback a/o other reviews after the program (install) is as complete.

i.e., MPG improvements, miles to empty range improvements, smoother gear shifting, etc.

Issues, glitches, concerns or any desired effects that aren’t working as you had hoped, etc.

Two things I’ve noticed or experienced that I’m watching are:

- Fan (exterior) seems like it’s running harder and louder after program (install). I did not mess with the fan speed setting in Tazer setup screen, so idk what’s going on there.

- Over the past 2 or so weeks, my radio has shut down on its own, twice. I don’t like that.
I am able to turn the radio back on but it’s concerning that it has shut down (as if I powered it down) on its own, twice.

Anyone experience this, have any like occurrences or have other feedback/reviews, do’s/don’ts they want to share??

Thanks!

@BlueBlood

I would say fan has absolutely nothing to do at all with the TazerJL. Fan is just like that and has been reported here by many.

Radio reboots have been happening to many JL owner's. I had them before the TazerJL install over a month ago and I still have them occasionally. Again, undoubtedly nothing to do with the TazerJL.

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BlueBlood

I would say fan has absolutely nothing to do at all with the TazerJL. Fan is just like that and has been reported here by many.

Radio reboots have been happening to many JL owner's. I had them before the TazerJL install over a month ago and I still have them occasionally. Again, undoubtedly nothing to do with the TazerJL.
Oddly enough, that’s good to hear :whew:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BlueBlood

I have had the TazerJL installed for just about 2 months now.... Geeeez, I can not imagine owning / running the JL without the TazerJL. Just so many things it has enabled or disabled for me on my JL.

$ for the TazerJL were well spent for sure. I have zero buyer remorse...

With that said, I do on a rare rare occasion, encounter one hiccup. Has happened 3 times so far in 2 months. What happens is even though ESS in disabled with the TazerJL, ESS, has enabled for one stop and then it disables and goes for weeks without a hiccup.

I believe Joe, at ZAutomotive, attributes this hiccup to what he called "a timing issue". Joe said he may be able to come up with something programming wise that would stop the hiccup with ESS. We will see if a future firmware update addresses the hiccup. Actually, the hiccup is so rare I hate to even mention it.

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BlueBlood

I have had the TazerJL installed for just about 2 months now.... Geeeez, I can not imagine owning / running the JL without the TazerJL. Just so many things it has enabled or disabled for me on my JL.

$ for the TazerJL were well spent for sure. I have zero buyer remorse...

With that said, I do on a rare rare occasion, encounter one hiccup. Has happened 3 times so far in 2 months. What happens is even though ESS in disabled with the TazerJL, ESS, has enabled for one stop and then it disables and goes for weeks without a hiccup.

I believe Joe, at ZAutomotive, attributes this hiccup to what he called "a timing issue". Joe said he may be able to come up with something programming wise that would stop the hiccup with ESS. We will see if a future firmware update addresses the hiccup. Actually, the hiccup is so rare I hate to even mention it.

Hiccups, yeah I get it and like you said, considering what I’m sharing, I don’t want to imply it’s a “problem”.

More so an observation and I wondered if others had observed the same or if the things I mentioned (radio shutdown) happened w/out the Tazer.

Thanks for sharing though.

Sponsored

TraktorE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Started playing around with mine today and have some questions.

What is the difference between canada and usa drl?

I was not able to change the drl to the low beams instead of the halo rings. Basically any option I tried still resulted in the halo rings as drl. Anybody has changed this yet?

Is there a written menu of all the options available? Some of them are straight forward but I was wondereing for a couple of those what exactly the options are.

Tested on a 3.6 manual Rubicon.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TraktorE

Program USA DRL and then go back and fool with "Lights". You do not want Canada DRL !
I do not really know the difference between the two but if you choose Canada DRL you will have issues programming the DRL's.

You probably have the TazerJL instructions but I will attach the pdf here.

Be sure you are running firmware 11.0.3
The halo’s are on all the time... unless you have 11.0.3 and delete the halo’s.

Ask any questions you have here. There are quite a few here running the TazerJL.

Attachments

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright folks...officially freakin’ the fck out.

Not saying this is related to programmer...but, I could use some assistance...ASAP!

My Jeep won’t start, multiple error messages, dings, internal gauges are going off, windshield wipers are going...a clear electrical issue has occurred.

I’ve disco the battery and it’s still doing it.

WTF.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Alright folks...officially freakin’ the fck out.

Not saying this is related to programmer...but, I could use some assistance...ASAP!

My Jeep won’t start, multiple error messages, dings, internal gauges are going off, windshield wipers are going...a clear electrical issue has occurred.

I’ve disco the battery and it’s still doing it.

WTF.
Have you made sure all of the fuses are pushed in properly?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you made sure all of the fuses are pushed in properly?
I haven’t...I drove it about 120 miles yesterday, no issue.

It sat from yesterday till today...I go out to start it up and BAM...it’s freakin’ the fck out. Not sayin it’s not possible, but idk that it’s a fuse issue...considering I’ve been driving it and haven’t had any other major electrical issues.

I posted about a few glitches but I wouldn’t associate those to what I’m getting now.

Jeep won’t start, doors won’t unlock, wipers are going, gauges are flashing, audible dings.

Last edited:

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I haven’t...I drove it about 120 miles yesterday, no issue.

It sat from yesterday till today...I go out to start it up and BAM...it’s freakin’ the fck out. Not sayin it’s not possible, but idk that it’s a fuse issue...considering I’ve been driving it and haven’t had any other major electrical issues.

I posted about a few glitches but I wouldn’t associate those to what I’m getting now.

Jeep won’t start, doors won’t unlock, wipers are going, gauges are flashing, audible dings.
I'd take a few minutes and check all the fuses - it was a common issue early on for a lot of us

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE:

Checked fuses...nothing noted.

Disco'd/Reconnected battery....Jeep was still freakin' out.

Tested batt...dead :angry::puke::swear:

Jumped Jeep...started up and now seems to be holding charge.

I do however have a "Stop/Start Not Ready Battery Charging" indication but am hoping this goes away after a go for drive this AM.

That said....

I cannot with absolute certainty say that a programmer caused a drain on my batt but I had previously noted the following "hiccups" or "glitches" since I had the programmer installed. I should also mention that my programmer is (was) connected 100% of the time.

- Radio shutoff (twice)

- EVIC screen changed from startup, shutdown, to startup (i.e., startup/shutdown = speedometer, next startup = oil temp screen)

- Batt died

Does any of that indicate that something from the programmer (being connected 100% of the time) caused a slow drain on my batt??? IDK...maybe, maybe not :whatsgoingon:

I read on the forum that other members have experienced a dead batt and similar issues as to what I experienced but don't know if they have a programmer (of some kind) or not. This may have happened to me regardless of the programmer...idk.

The automatic turn off of the ESS, live features, etc isn't enough of a "must have" for me to leave the programmer installed 100% of the time...call it piece of mind, a gut feeling, whatever...I'm not willing to go through being stranded somewhere and having to call roadside, a friend or asking some stranger to jump my brand new Jeep just so I can have ESS automatically disabled at startup.

I'll continue to monitor the situation but wanted to provide a rundown of my experience in case there is someone out there that has experienced the same OR worse, happens to them and they have ZERO fckin' clue our Jeeps will freak the fck out when the batt dies.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It is VERY likely that you are having similar issues to the others who have reported these indications, and the problem was either a loose/broken ground connection, fuses, or the auxiliary battery. This is definitely a physical, electrical issue, not a programming problem.
Sponsored