Sponsored

After original delivery failure, dealer claiming I owe thousands to take ownership of the correct build due to recent price increase

froggercub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
As a follow up to my previous post where my original build did not come out as I ordered (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...livered-offering-to-expedite-new-build.100630) now that my replacement has been delivered and after the dealer originally told me I wouldn't pay anything for the corrected build, my dealer is now telling me that in order to pick up the car with the required specs, I need to pay a couple thousand dollars because recent cost increases. Unfortunately, I trusted my dealer would keep his word and I don't have anything in writing. What are my options?
Sponsored

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
Why would you even wish to continue to work with a dealer who does this to you? You could try talking to the dealer general manager or even the owner, but usually this kind of BS from a dealer starts at the top.

Options: Reorder and use one of the forum dealers offering invoice or below pricing.
Find a different local dealer and reorder.

There are plenty of Jeeps. This will not be your last opprtunity to buy one.

Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I guess it’s time for legislation to protect the consumers as much as I hate to say it. There is just to much of this practice going on along with the dealer refusing to uphold or do warranty work.

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, Toyota 4th Gen V8 4 Runner
I'm a little confused by this one. From what I understand, the dealer failed to deliver the Jeep you ordered on the original Delivery. Then re-ordered the correct Jeep. You should still be holding a piece of paper that says I agree to purchase this Jeep (your specifications) and the dealer agrees to sell it to me at this price (the original Deal). Legally, that is all that matters. The fact that Jeep raised their prices after you placed the order DOES NOT MEAN $#!*. Jeep raised their prices between the time I ordered my Jeep and the time the delivered it... doesn't matter. It's what was agreed on when you ordered the Jeep. The dealer failed to live up to their end of the contract.

Am I missing something from the original thread?

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Again @froggercub why bother posting this cryptic messages if you don't have the balls to be honest and just post what's going on.

If this is true, which I have a feeling part of the situation is your fault (why you wont get into details), posting what EXACTLY is happening could be of good use to someone here in the future.

It's all about paying it forward and not JUST looking out for yourself.

Omen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Manager
I guess it’s time for legislation to protect the consumers as much as I hate to say it. There is just to much of this practice going on along with the dealer refusing to uphold or do warranty work.
Careful what you wish for...

Omen

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Careful what you wish for...

Omen
Yep. Less legislation please! I think everyone needs to realize that dealerships are generally just crooks. I know there are a few exceptions but the reality is dealers and car sales are liars, cheats, and thieves. Has anyone walked in to a dealership and had a salespeson tell you that this is the lowest we can go, then when you get up to leave, magically they can go lower!

Sponsored

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
I'm a little confused by this one. From what I understand, the dealer failed to deliver the Jeep you ordered on the original Delivery. Then re-ordered the correct Jeep. You should still be holding a piece of paper that says I agree to purchase this Jeep (your specifications) and the dealer agrees to sell it to me at this price (the original Deal). Legally, that is all that matters. The fact that Jeep raised their prices after you placed the order DOES NOT MEAN $#!*. Jeep raised their prices between the time I ordered my Jeep and the time the delivered it... doesn't matter. It's what was agreed on when you ordered the Jeep. The dealer failed to live up to their end of the contract.

OK, let’s say you are 100% correct. What can the OP do about it. Spend 10k in court costs, missed work, and aggravation to save a few thousand get the Jeep as ordered?

It’s unfortunate but if the dealership is unwilling to honor their contract it’s time to walk away.

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Less legislation please! I think everyone needs to realize that dealerships are generally just crooks. I know there are a few exceptions but the reality is dealers and car sales are liars, cheats, and thieves. Has anyone walked in to a dealership and had a salespeson tell you that this is the lowest we can go, then when you get up to leave, magically they can go lower!
I dont disagree, but IF this is the actual situation then the legislation already exists. When you order you are committing to a sales contract. If they fail to live up to their end (providing the products with the correct specifications at the agreed price) then they have failed to honor the contract. The OP would have zero obligation to pay for either Jeep they delivered and could, if desired, force their hand on the second Jeep since they agreed to sell it at the agreed to price.

I think there is more to this then what we know. If there isn't, I'd walk away from the whole deal and talk to a reputable dealer rather than chasing them in court over it.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

You're missing what we're all missing - the mysterious package that wasn't delivered, and cannot be added after the fact.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Don't disagree that some dealers are crooks but you can't fix the problem of uniformed/ignorant consumers with legislation.

Ten North Prez

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, let’s say you are 100% correct. What can the OP do about it. Spend 10k in court costs, missed work, and aggravation to save a few thousand get the Jeep as ordered?

It’s unfortunate but if the dealership is unwilling to honor their contract it’s time to walk away.
I had a very similar situation to what is claimed to be the case here many years ago with Dodge. They kicked, screamed, even threatened once during a 4-day period. In the end, the mere mention of involving an attorney brought us to an immediate agreement. They knew they had no case in an actual court.
I do not disagree with you though. I would run, not walk, from this dealer.
Sponsored