After Market Exhaust on 4xe

McStatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I hope this post isn't triggering to anyone as that is not my intention...

I love my 4xe for how quiet it is in electric only mode (traded Tesla Model X Perf in for my 4xe), but I also loved my 6sp wrangler from a few years back that I installed a CAI and Borla exhaust. So why can't I have my cake and eat it too?!?

I ordered an after market exhaust from extremeterrain meant for a 2.0L JL - I got the Borla ATAK. I think it sounds great and almost not noticeable on the highway when cruising and the motor is sitting around 2k RPMs. When driving around town on E-Save and pushing it a bit... super fun. Still not nearly as loud as a buddy who dropped a hemi in his gladiator, but that's too be expected with < 1/3 the liters.

The video is after starting the car and then turning on E-Save, which revs often at 1500 RPM while it lubes itself, so it is slightly louder than a typical idle. In any event, I think it sounds great and would be happy to answer any questions if anyone has them. Install took about an hour and I was taking my time.

Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe IMG_2033.JPEG
Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe IMG_2034.JPEG

Sponsored

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe

I love my 4xe for how quiet it is in electric only mode (traded Tesla Model X Perf in for my 4xe), but I also loved my 6sp wrangler from a few years back that I installed a CAI and Borla exhaust. So why can't I have my cake and eat it too?!?

I ordered an after market exhaust from extremeterrain meant for a 2.0L JL - I got the Borla ATAK. I think it sounds great and almost not noticeable on the highway when cruising and the motor is sitting around 2k RPMs. When driving around town on E-Save and pushing it a bit... super fun. Still not nearly as loud as a buddy who dropped a hemi in his gladiator, but that's too be expected with < 1/3 the liters.

The video is after starting the car and then turning on E-Save, which revs often at 1500 RPM while it lubes itself, so it is slightly louder than a typical idle. In any event, I think it sounds great and would be happy to answer any questions if anyone has them. Install took about an hour and I was taking my time.
If it puts a smile on your face, then whatā€™s not to like? I put a Borla on my (previous) 6 cyl JL and I think yours sounds better.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Probably not many people with a PHEV and a Borla.

Not for me but I love it! lol. Looks nice too.

Often I can't tell when the ice has come on if I'm over 20mph. Does that change with the Borla.

OP
OP

McStatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Probably not many people with a PHEV and a Borla.

Not for me but I love it! lol. Looks nice too.

Often I can't tell when the ice has come on if I'm over 20mph. Does that change with the Borla.
I am a big fan of the look as well. There is a little more ā€œdroneā€ while cruising at 55mph than Iā€™d like, but Iā€™ve only done it will all doors off so Iā€™m hoping the noise wonā€™t be as noticeable when cruising along with the doors on. The feeling of ā€œnot sure if the engine is on or notā€ is gone as itā€™s clear when the motor fires on, mostly because it revs at 1500 rpm for about a minute regardless of driving input.

In terms of driving impressions, even though I donā€™t believe there were any actual hp/torque gains (despite what the exhaust manufacturers say) it sure feels quicker simply because it sounds like a M3.

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe IMG_2032.MP
Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe IMG_2032.MP

Yeah I was going to get an official exhaust but it only kicks in (sound) when the gas engine is on. So when I'm putting around town in electric the exhaust wouldn't be used.
That's why I went with the Active Exhaust Sound System which is just sound, so no added power, but I get it all day, in electric or gas
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tive-exhaust-sound-system.73901/#post-1539314

Sponsored

CaliforniaWheelin'

First Name
Sullivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
I did a muffler delete on mine. I go back and forth on whether I like added sound. It sounds pretty good but I also liked the way you could barely hear when the ICE kicked in with the stock exhaust. The wife hated the way the st muffler looked after we put on the high clearance rear bumper. The added ground clearance with the muffler delete is insane.

Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe AFDC1106-027E-485D-BB48-DF37A8C69B0F

Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe BDD93F38-C505-49BD-A3C3-A7C3009F7B14

Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe B138937D-7B72-4497-8495-CC14D8424CE2

And a photo of the Jeep actually clean
Jeep Wrangler JL After Market Exhaust on 4xe E0F7050A-2FA1-4A7E-BE06-B62FA1BC8771

OP
OP

McStatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
In case anyone is also crazy/stupid enough to put an after market exhaust on their 4xe, I ended up uninstalling and returning the Borla ATAK I bought. It looked great and sounded great... most of the time. However, as you all know, in most instances when the motor kicks on, it hovers around 1500 RPMs for about 30 seconds or so as it warms up the motor. Unfortunately, this is an extremely loud part of the rev rang with the Borla ATAK and during this warm up period, there is no revving. It just sits at 1500 RPMs regardless of driver input. This is fine when driving on the highway or at speed, but when in something like a parking garage or going slowly around town, its an absurdly loud and frankly annoying noise since it just drones on at the same decibel for what feels like forever. I imagine the Borla ATAK would be great on a standard 2.0L motor but for the 4xe, the warm up period plus somewhat strange gearing makes it an unwelcome bedfellow.

In any event, the Borla ATAK is on it's way back and I'll be installing a CAI next weekend to see how it works with the 2.0L in the 4xe.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Bummer, it sounded pretty fun, but I get not wanting something that creates additional noise for no reason - and I __hate__ exhausts that drone (and I've had dozens of vehicles with aftermarket exhausts, from axleback to LTs-back, and a had few that were headache inducing at cruising speeds ...)

Now with all the EV tech we have, everything sounds too loud :LOL:

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Add me to the group of those who did the muffler delete, and then reinstalled it a week later.

i ran the muffler delete pipe on my ā€˜19 JL for 18 months and was very happy with it.

unfortunately with the 4xe, it just makes the transition to ICE that much more noticeable.

going to have to look at one of the systems that has higher rear clearnce, yet still has a muffler.
Sponsored