Sponsored

After 2.5 yrs, time to move on..

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
It's been a very fun and frustrating last 2.5 years acquiring the jeep addiction, meeting great people on here, adding mods and going on wheelin adventures with awesome people. I've spent more time/$ than I care to admit building this JLU and dealing with FCA dealers "fixing" issues/recalls. Unfortunately, it simply got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore. I sold my jeep...feels bittersweet.

Dealer visits started off for radio glitch, auto stop start sensor, stabilizer recall, ticking ball joints and loose steering. Then was an oil change where dealer put 6 quarts in after I reminded them beforehand and was handed paperwork that said 6 quarts and it measured overfull...they denied it, but eventually drained it.:headbang:

It was at dealer 2 weeks for new clutch bc it failed recall test. Went 3 times bc Jeep wouldn't start due to dead batteries...they "diagnosed" it for 3 hours and tried charging it first after I told them I had tried charging it twice; died a few days later and they replaced main battery and then again for aux battery which was the real culprit. Replaced leaking door seals, new steel steering box that didnt do much and dealer left steering sector shaft bolt loose, went back for 2 hour door sensor error diagnosis & then dealer forgot to order parts a week later when I followed up. Setup appt for repair and waited 5 hours for a 1.5 hour job. Also, went through 3 sets of Quake LED fenderlights due to flickering.(customer service was exceptional- promptly sent replacements for free...unlike American Adventure Lab)

Next was frustrating death wobble for 2 weeks caused by stock ball joints with plastic components failing...paid offroad shop to install new ball joints. I just received a notice from Quadratec saying the winch has been recalled and I need to remove and ship it back for repair.:CWL:

I can see why FCA is consistently ranked poorly for reliability and dealer service. It's a shame, bc Jeeps have awesome heritage and could be amazing if they built them better and offered better service. Thank you to all on here that have helped...I've enjoyed the community. :beer:
Jeep Wrangler JL After 2.5 yrs, time to move on.. IMG_0321.GIF
Sponsored

Last edited:

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Wow. Painful experience. I’ve been there with other vehicles...but so far so good with my JL. Is a shame that the bumbling dealer/service dept overshadowed the joy of owning a Jeep. Good luck to you - but hopefully you come back soon through a different/more competent dealer when you realize how boring your next ride is!

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Wow. Painful experience. I’ve been there with other vehicles...but so far so good with my JL. Is a shame that the bumbling dealer/service dept overshadowed the joy of owning a Jeep. Good luck to you - but hopefully you come back soon through a different/more competent dealer when you realize how boring your next ride is!
How long have you owned your jeep? It was 2 different dealers and the overall subpar build quality. The batteries/electronics in these things are a hot mess. After reading many accounts on here and talking with long time jeepers, it's clear that most dealers are viewed in a negative light and it's best to avoid them if possible. I'll take a boring vehicle for now as long as it works properly...I'd rather spend time with my family vs. chasing my tail over a vehicle.

Last edited:

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
How long have you owned your jeep? It was 2 different dealers and the overall subpar build quality. The batteries/electronics in these things are a hot mess. After reading many accounts on here and talking with long time jeepers, it's clear that most dealers are viewed in a negative light and it's best to avoid them if possible. I'll take a boring vehicle for now as long as it works properly...I'd rather spend time with my family vs. chasing my tail over a vehicle.
Have only been in my 2.0L Sahara about 18 months, but (knocking on wood) has been a great experience so far. Only issue was a scratched windshield on delivery which the dealer promptly replaced and FCA paid for. Totally get your frustration though, I had a lemon Ford Escape yrs ago and it was a constant headache and moneypit. Nobody needs that extra stress and aggravation from their vehicle...already get enough of that at work!

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Have only been in my 2.0L Sahara about 18 months, but (knocking on wood) has been a great experience so far. Only issue was a scratched windshield on delivery which the dealer promptly replaced and FCA paid for. Totally get your frustration though, I had a lemon Ford Escape yrs ago and it was a constant headache and moneypit. Nobody needs that extra stress and aggravation from their vehicle...already get enough of that at work!
I hope it goes better for you. The bulk of my issues happened after owning it 18 months. However, it does seem that the early 2018 builds have had more issues.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL