First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
So, I got tired of waiting for reviews to appear of this particular exhaust system and decided to bite the bullet. This will basically be a write-up of my thoughts on the install process and what I think of the sound and performance. I won't actually go over how to install it since CJ Offroad did a great in-depth video on the install (YouTube). First off, here's my Instagram videos on the process and comparison with stock:

In combination with the aFe Pro Dry S filter, the sound is very good and throaty! It's actually very tame unless you put your foot down. If you're looking for an exhaust that won't annoy the neighbors when coming home at 12:00 AM, this is a solid choice. Something to note; the power band definitely changed, on stock the power would kick in off the line and mellow out afterwards, now it is mellow to start and once the rpms climb a little bit it flies! One more thing to note, and this is important, there is some highway drone. 70 MPH is very nice, 73 becomes louder but still ok, and peak drone is 75 & above. If you are used to exhaust drone on older vehicles, I don't think this would bother you. It's still much quieter and more tolerable than my Tiburon I had before my JLU.

TL;DR it's very good for the money and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more sound but don't want to be annoying :like:

Bonuses:
UIC9VGN.jpg

S4FKRb3.jpg

The filter came with a 2019 calendar & some airbox decals, and the exhaust came with decals and a license plate cover (Instagram video)
Sponsored

OP
OP
See Through

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
DRIVING UPDATE:

After driving back and forth to work and elsewhere with the exhaust and air filter for a couple days I can give some more observations. I think the ECU had to take some time to get used to the extra airflow because the driving characteristics changed again. Now it drives like it did before, but I have press the pedal down less to get the same engine response I had when stock (does that make sense?). And when putting my foot down, it gets up to speed really quick! Also when idling both parked and at a red light it is extremely smooth, I had to look down to make sure my ESS wasn't activated. As for the highway drone I mentioned before, you can actually almost completely eliminate it if you don't use cruise control. Cruise control will select a gear that causes the drone, but if I merge without my cruise set, it's almost as quiet as stock once I'm up to speed. Overall I'm still super happy with this setup, and really glad I did it!

One thing to note, if you have the mopar trailer pin hookup like I do, the exhaust tip is very close to it. Every day once I park after driving I've checked the temps with both my finger and a laser thermometer, and the heat from the exhaust tip doesn't seem to reach the plastic housing of the pin hookup. Just wanted to point this out in case someone has a concern about it like I did.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Nice review Chad.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m interested in this exhaust but I was very turned off by your comments about drone at highway speeds. However I have to wonder if part of your drone issue is associated with the CAI you added at the same time. Maybe with the stock intake it wouldn’t drone so much. Does it gain you much ground clearance vs stock, particularly in the rear where the OEM muffler is located near the bumper?

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am looking at this exhaust as well for my 18 JLU Rubicon. I just put in the Magnaflow Cat Back exhaust and while it looks great & is well made it is loud inside the cabin from gears 2-4. I am accelerating from 20-40 and its a far bit of noise, especially up hill. Does anyone have this setup or Magnaflows in general? Does it simmer down noise wise after 500 miles or so? It will actually be cheaper to put in the Afe cat back vs adding a rear muffler to my setup from Magnaflow. Again MF is built like a tank and the tone is deep & throaty but the decibels get up there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
See Through

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I’m interested in this exhaust but I was very turned off by your comments about drone at highway speeds. However I have to wonder if part of your drone issue is associated with the CAI you added at the same time. Maybe with the stock intake it wouldn’t drone so much. Does it gain you much ground clearance vs stock, particularly in the rear where the OEM muffler is located near the bumper?
I didn't install a full CAI, only the aFe high-flow reusable air filter installed inside the stock airbox. As for ground clearance, if that is a main concern of yours, I would definitely order the aFe exhaust without the polished tip (part # 49-48065). This will pretty much eliminate any chance of smashing or banging up the exhaust system. Hope this helps :fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
See Through

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I am looking at this exhaust as well for my 18 JLU Rubicon. I just put in the Magnaflow Cat Back exhaust and while it looks great & is well made it is loud inside the cabin from gears 2-4. I am accelerating from 20-40 and its a far bit of noise, especially up hill. Does anyone have this setup or Magnaflows in general? Does it simmer down noise wise after 500 miles or so? It will actually be cheaper to put in the Afe cat back vs adding a rear muffler to my setup from Magnaflow. Again MF is built like a tank and the tone is deep & throaty but the decibels get up there.
I've had experience with Magnaflows on my old V6 Pontiac, and I can agree to pretty much everything you described. Fantastic quality, amazing deep sound (especially for a V6), but you have to like that sound pretty much all the time. There's almost no gear where the magnaflows liked to be quiet, at least in my experience.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've had experience with Magnaflows on my old V6 Pontiac, and I can agree to pretty much everything you described. Fantastic quality, amazing deep sound (especially for a V6), but you have to like that sound pretty much all the time. There's almost no gear where the magnaflows liked to be quiet, at least in my experience.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going to swap out to a AFe or maybe a Borla S Type. I like the Flowmasters but I suspect they will be equally loud but with a smoother tone.

We need to build a website with decibel reads (int/ext) on all major market exhaust systems. :)

Last edited:

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So, I got tired of waiting for reviews to appear of this particular exhaust system and decided to bite the bullet. This will basically be a write-up of my thoughts on the install process and what I think of the sound and performance. I won't actually go over how to install it since CJ Offroad did a great in-depth video on the install (YouTube). First off, here's my Instagram videos on the process and comparison with stock:

In combination with the aFe Pro Dry S filter, the sound is very good and throaty! It's actually very tame unless you put your foot down. If you're looking for an exhaust that won't annoy the neighbors when coming home at 12:00 AM, this is a solid choice. Something to note; the power band definitely changed, on stock the power would kick in off the line and mellow out afterwards, now it is mellow to start and once the rpms climb a little bit it flies! One more thing to note, and this is important, there is some highway drone. 70 MPH is very nice, 73 becomes louder but still ok, and peak drone is 75 & above. If you are used to exhaust drone on older vehicles, I don't think this would bother you. It's still much quieter and more tolerable than my Tiburon I had before my JLU.

TL;DR it's very good for the money and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more sound but don't want to be annoying :like:

Bonuses:
UIC9VGN.jpg

S4FKRb3.jpg

The filter came with a 2019 calendar & some airbox decals, and the exhaust came with decals and a license plate cover (Instagram video)

Can you run a decibel meter on your phone and record levels on clips like this. Very curious as to dB driving around town, on highway and up hills. My MF cat back his 80 max dB accelerating from 25-50. Once I hit cruising speed of say 60 it drops to 66-68. Thx .

I also posted this on instagram. I will record my MF system in the next day or so and post here. I will also test drive another Rubicon with a stock exhaust & tires to get a base level.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I didn't install a full CAI, only the aFe high-flow reusable air filter installed inside the stock airbox. As for ground clearance, if that is a main concern of yours, I would definitely order the aFe exhaust without the polished tip (part # 49-48065). This will pretty much eliminate any chance of smashing or banging up the exhaust system. Hope this helps :fingerscrossed:
I should have read your original post more carefully. I watched the instagram videos you posted. Thanks for those. Yes, I’d order the version with no add on tip at all, just the unfinished pipe. It looks like it has higher clearance along the entire length of the tubing underneath the body and better clearance in the departure angle area compared to stock because the unfinished tubing is higher than the stock muffler.

Would you be willing to post again after running 500 to 1000 miles and reporting what the sound is like then? My experience on various cars is that it could get more mellow or sometimes louder after it’s broken in a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
See Through

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am going to swap out to a JFe or maybe a Borla S Type. I like the Flowmasters but I suspect they will be equally loud but with a smoother tone.

We need to build a website with decibel reads (int/ext) on all major market exhaust systems. :)
I really like that idea!

OP
OP
See Through

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I should have read your original post more carefully. I watched the instagram videos you posted. Thanks for those. Yes, I’d order the version with no add on tip at all, just the unfinished pipe. It looks like it has higher clearance along the entire length of the tubing underneath the body and better clearance in the departure angle area compared to stock because the unfinished tubing is higher than the stock muffler.

Would you be willing to post again after running 500 to 1000 miles and reporting what the sound is like then? My experience on various cars is that it could get more mellow or sometimes louder after it’s broken in a bit.
Totally, I'll keep you posted :like:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't want to have my jeeps exhaust look--UNFINISHED !

Using the DYNOMAX TURBO (tucked high), I use the ATTRACTIVE TIPS, WHICH ARE LESS THAN A 1 MINUTE REMOVAL-
Before any rougher trails are traveled-
SUNP0175_zps07b6wtxw.jpg

JIMBO

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I really like that idea!

Thanks. A simple website with controlled tests everyone who wants to run on their setup. So start up, acceleration, driving up a hill, highway acceleration and then cruising at 60. Each owner would just need to use the same decibel reading app or get a stand alone meter.

In fact, thinking way too big, a real reviews user site where we test most major parts in Jeep builds. It happens now in thousands of forum posts but you have to mine them.

:)

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
So I contacted AFE directly as I found a particular system on their website that was not shown on any of the vender sites. I ordered the cat back Rebel with front resonator delete and rear muffler with dual exit. I will say it has mellowed out and gotten quieter than when it was new. It took a few hundred miles for everything to "settle in". For the most part it isn't too loud driving in the neighborhood, but if I really give it pedal, it will make some noise. As for drone- yes it does have it at highway speeds (70-75mph) and especially when at a hill and it goes to 7th gear raising the RPMs. The wife hates driving my Jeep because completely silent is too loud for her. I told her there are 3 things meant to make noise.. 1. exhaust. 2. tires. 3. a good stereo. I now have 2 of the 3.. waiting for stock KO2s to wear down so I can get new ones. I have always had glass packs or MF Turbo mufflers on my Chevy V-8s and my Cummins was stock in my last 2 trucks... I was really missing my loud exhaust. Awesome part is the AFE doesn't sound like an import which was my fear going louder than stock on a V6.
Sponsored