AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
@AG30

Not sure if any other guys with the 2.0 have adopted the afe as of yet.. With that said, you may have to just do the deed blindly in regard to your install of the AFE.

I run an aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter ... the flat panel dry air filter. Actually, just cleaned it again yesterday. I'm real happy with the filter. Cleans up easily and dries out very fast after cleaning.

About your install... You don't need to loosen the band clamp, just fully loosen the screws that secure the air filter housing cover. After they are all loosened, gently pull up on the filter cover and it will rise... you may have to go back and loosen more one of the screws. Anyway, the housing cover will now be able to be lifted up just enough to slide out the old, to get a vacuum nozzle to vacuum out any debris in the housing and to slide in the new filter in....then drop down the cover and refasten the screws..

IF, if say you bought the cone shaped afe or you have trouble getting the cover up enough on hyour 2.0, do know that those 2 hoses you asked about are quick disconnect hoses. Press in firmly on the light colored tab on the hose and put gently but firmly and the hose disconnects. The press/click right back on.

IF you bought the cone shaped afe, you will have to loosen the band clamp and the screws and physically remove the air box cover in order to get the cone shapped afe in.

afe flat/dry for 3.6 and 2.0
8888.jpg

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I actually only bought the Pro Dry S 3 Layer, the one you are showing in the pic. I'm hoping it works out nicely.
Sponsored

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention.. Normally, I would spray/soak the afe dry filter with Purple Power 4319PS Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser, then rinse it down, shake it vigorously to get most of the water out of it and then leave it outside in the heat to dry for a few hours and then reinstall.

Yesterday, when I went to clean I found I was out of Purple Power... SO, I soaked the afe dry filter with Windex with Vinegar, (that is all I had on hand) let it sit for about five minutes and rinsed well...

Ya know, that Windex with Vinegar did the deed well.. must have degreaser or whatever in it as the filter cleaned probably up just as well as if I had used the Purple Power. (my filter was not all that dirty though to start with)

aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'll keep this in mind. For now, I just purchased the AFE cleaner, but maybe I'll try some of these options when I run out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I actually only bought the Pro Dry S 3 Layer, the one you are showing in the pic. I'm hoping it works out nicely.
@AG30

Don't say "only bought" .... that is an excellent way to go for your JLU. IF you are like myself and others you will probably even feel the difference with the filter the day you install it. Also, the filter will pay for itself over the long haul so to speak.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
That's the one I'm using. Love it. Not going to do oiled!!

G.

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AG30

Don't say "only bought" .... that is an excellent way to go for your JLU. IF you are like myself and others you will probably even feel the difference with the filter the day you install it. Also, the filter will pay for itself over the long haul so to speak.
I hear ya. I was just meaning I didn't know about the cone shaped one. I'm pretty new to making some changes on the jeep, so the only wasn't a slight against the product.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The filtration can’t be good enough for long engine life with these high flow reusable filters. I’ve looked at their numbers over and over and just can’t see the value in using anything other than a Wix.

gregg3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I purchased a drop in AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter last week. I was debating between this and the K&N Oiled Filter. I did not want to change out the entire intake system, because the return for the money just didn't make sense. I have had K&N filters on other vehicles, and was impressed with the increased airflow and slight increase in power, but, when you hold them up to the light, you can see specks of sunlight . Not good. That, and small small amounts of oil particles make it into your intake, along with a small amount of very very fine dust particles. Not good. When oil coats the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and other electronics, in engings, issues happen.
After reading up, extensively, on both, and my experiences, I chose the AFE. Even though it is a little more restrictive than K&N, but more free flowing than the stock Mopar filter, supposedly.
I will back up and say, that when running the Jeep, from the day I bought it, I can feel the engine idling at times, and at wide open acceleration, there seems to be an unevenness in the powerband, almost like it is struggling a little. But, I just chalked it up to "It's a Jeep Thing". That and it was still pretty quick, as Jeeps go.
Now, after having it in a week, I can without a doubt, say it idles smoother. Also, today was the first time, because of weather and traffic, that I was able to floor it from a rolling start, to about 65 mph. The engine has now awakened. It is definitely faster, and no more surging, under wide open acceleration.
I will definitely switch out the K&N filter I've been running in my diesel truck.

Link to the AFE I bought. Might not be the cheapest price, but it was close:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jeep-Wrangler-2018-aFe-31-10280-Magnum-Flow-Pro-Dry-S-Panel-Gray-Air-Filter/283515962295?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I too have the AFE and like it. What do you think is the best product to clean these though? I can't see spending $20 on their dry filter cleaning spray they have on their site that is probably no more than vinegar and water.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I too have the AFE and like it. What do you think is the best product to clean these though? I can't see spending $20 on their dry filter cleaning spray they have on their site that is probably no more than vinegar and water.
I clean mine with Windex with Vinegar Glass Cleaner Spray. (Cleaned filter with it a few times)

Spray soak the filter well, let sit 5 minutes of so and then rinse off with copious amounts of tap water. Then swing the filter around to get most of the water out of it and then leave the filter out in the Sun to dry.

A bit of Simple Green would do the deed also...

Manufacturer of filter, cautions against (says not to use) using compressed air on the filter to force water out / to try to dry the filter.

Anyway, the Windex with Vinegar Spray works well... and inexpensive.

Jeep Wrangler JL AFE Dry Air Filters. Drop In. 718PaKOWevL._AC_SL1500_

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

I haven't had to clean mine yet, but it might be due. Thanks for the reminder.
I think I will go the Simple Green method, as mentioned above.

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I had a dry AFE filter in my 3.8 JK for a little over 100k miles. It worked well for me. I cleaned it by banging it on the cement walkway and then hose it off with a nozzle before letting it dry in the sun. Worked great.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I bought some Simple Green, and will clean it this weekend, hopefully. Mine only has approx 18,000 miles on the filter. Only 24,500 on the engine.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I had a dry AFE filter in my 3.8 JK for a little over 100k miles. It worked well for me. I cleaned it by banging it on the cement walkway and then hose it off with a nozzle before letting it dry in the sun. Worked great.
Did you ever do a used oil analysis?

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
I had good luck with on my 3.8JK as well. I know a lot of people worry about longevity over the life of the vehicle. I never did any oil analysis, but just personal experience.

After I ran the dry drop in for 20-30k miles, I took it off the see what the intake tube looked liked. I had the blue shop rag ready to go and wipe down what I saw. Nothing, it was clean. I was surprised to say the least, as most people act like the engine will implode. So with this personal anecdote, I bought other for the 3.6JL.

Now, that being said. The AFE cone drop is has been taken out as I am trading in the 3.6 for a diesel. But, if it wasn't for this I would still run it.

*side note. I have a AFE Dry drop in (cone shape) for sale. Used 10k miles.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Did you ever do a used oil analysis?
No. Just drove it until I sold it at 130K miles. It was still going strong then, too.
Sponsored