Sponsored

AFE Air Filter - which type?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering an AFE filter for my Rubicon and they are currently 21% off on the AFE website. Which one of these would you choose? They both fit in the OE air box with no modifications.

I am leaning towards the cone shaped one because it **seems** like it has more filter surface area.

What say you?

JA3WKl.jpg

JA3MP4.jpg
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I say:

Why? What's the reasoning behind going with an oiled air filter?

They don't filter as good as paper filters. It's dang near impossible to get the "correct" amount of oil on them (never seen any instructions with an EXACT amount of oil to use. With over oiling, you risk introducing oil into the air intake/throttle body. With the oil, invariably this will result in an oily, gritty, dirty mess coating the inside of the throttle body. Probably don't have to tell you how bad this is for the intake/engine. Been there, done that on a TJ. Will never go with an oiled filter again.

With under oiling, you run the risk of getting the dry particulates straight into your throttle body, kind of like a mini-sand blaster.

Improved horsepower? Torque? Throttle response? Nope....in fact AFE doesn't list any of these improvements on their product page.

Increased air flow? Yes, probably. But what have you done (or planning to do) downstream from the air cleaner to take advantage of the increased air flow? I would argue the Jeep engineers probably did a good job of measuring how much air the engine needs under any given situation and designed a stock air box with paper filter to give it all the air it needs.

But it's your Jeep and your money. IF I were to get one, I like the cone shaped version. I'd just get it in the dry version.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'd go with the Pro Dry S. I had one in my '15 JKU. Can't say if there was any benefit, other than being able to clean and re-use the filter.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I say:

Why? What's the reasoning behind going with an oiled air filter?

They don't filter as good as paper filters. It's dang near impossible to get the "correct" amount of oil on them (never seen any instructions with an EXACT amount of oil to use. With over oiling, you risk introducing oil into the air intake/throttle body. With the oil, invariably this will result in an oily, gritty, dirty mess coating the inside of the throttle body. Probably don't have to tell you how bad this is for the intake/engine. Been there, done that on a TJ. Will never go with an oiled filter again.

With under oiling, you run the risk of getting the dry particulates straight into your throttle body, kind of like a mini-sand blaster.

Improved horsepower? Torque? Throttle response? Nope....in fact AFE doesn't list any of these improvements on their product page.

Increased air flow? Yes, probably. But what have you done (or planning to do) downstream from the air cleaner to take advantage of the increased air flow? I would argue the Jeep engineers probably did a good job of measuring how much air the engine needs under any given situation and designed a stock air box with paper filter to give it all the air it needs.

But it's your Jeep and your money. IF I were to get one, I like the cone shaped version. I'd just get it in the dry version.
I am not looking to improve power, but to reduce the silicon levels in the engine oil. The Pro Dry S also comes in cone format, so I will probably reach out to AFE to see if the filter surface area is greater with the cone versus flat and see if they provide any flow/delta-p numbers.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha

Post up what AFE says, I'm interested in the Dry cone shaped one too.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I have been using the AFE dry filter for a few months, and love it. Too many potential issues with oiled filters, for me to risk it. The dry AFE makes my engine run better than the stock one. Good enough for me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have been running with the aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a flat, dry filter . I have been running with it on my JL 3.6, for 6 months+, 5,000 mi.+ and can say nothing negative about it.

I did notice right from the get go of using this filter, that the engine idle on the 3.6 was way way smoother..

This filter can be cleaned with Simple Green and water solution and then you leave it out to dry.
Do NOT use compressed air to try to dry it. That damages the filter per aFe.

To me, to many potential issues with oiled filters, so opted to go with dry. Easy cleaning and no special cleaner or oil to purchase.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Have mine on the way. Will post once installed.
Sponsored