AEV Steering Stabilizer Review - Completely Solved My Wobble

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just curious, does AEV recommend cycling through a few times before installing?

My local shop hates AEV for some reason and tried to turn me onto King. Which I’m sure is a fine product. But I didn’t want to spend almost 3x the cost. From what I’ve read, AEV SS seems to be a good product.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

My local shop hates AEV for some reason and tried to turn me onto King. Which I’m sure is a fine product. But I didn’t want to spend almost 3x the cost. From what I’ve read, AEV SS seems to be a good product.
The cost of the King was probably why that shop tried to turn you onto it, all about padding their pockets.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

No need to - it is a pressurized shock. As part of the installation you should cycle a few times anyway to check for interference. So it is a moot point.

I cycle all shocks by hand prior to installation anyway - to check for expected resistance, leaks, bind, etc.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
So I came across this thread last weekend. I had the highway steering issues which were mostly corrected with a new iron steering box. I've also had several bouts of DW, first "corrected" by the dealer a year ago with a new factory steering stabilizer, then replacing the ball joints with Teraflex units.

The shimmy has started again, not to the point of DW, but probably not too far away. I've had a Fox adjustable unit sitting in the cart for awhile now, but just couldn't stomach the cost.

So after reading through this thread, I ordered the AEV unit and installed it yesterday. Really happy I did. The shimmy is gone, the highway steering has been improved a bit more, and there is an ever so slight pull to the right (factory position).

This thread saved me a couple hundred bucks :rock:

Pete

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Looks like you guys found a source for the AEV. If that runs out, may want to consider the original Bilstein Part Number: 33-292984.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Has anybody gotten these to fit with the synergy bolt?
I tried and the tie rod was too close, the shock body would hit it. Otherwise the rod end was pointing up too high to attach to the tie rod relocation bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Steering Stabilizer Review - Completely Solved My Wobble IMG_4792

I have been using a Clayton bracket instead of synergy, but still have interference on the rod end.. either hits my drag link or my Rock Krawler track bar. I think the DK track bar doesn’t have the right bend for the diff, and that’s another issue, but I was surprised the synergy bolt wouldn’t work with otherwise stock steering linkages.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Has anybody gotten these to fit with the synergy bolt?
I tried and the tie rod was too close, the shock body would hit it. Otherwise the rod end was pointing up too high to attach to the tie rod relocation bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Steering Stabilizer Review - Completely Solved My Wobble IMG_4792

I have been using a Clayton bracket instead of synergy, but still have interference on the rod end.. either hits my drag link or my Rock Krawler track bar. I think the DK track bar doesn’t have the right bend for the diff, and that’s another issue, but I was surprised the synergy bolt wouldn’t work with otherwise stock steering linkages.
I needed mine angled back to clear with the synergy stuff.

That’s the Clayton TR mount? You may need to flip it around to get the post even or rear of the TR looking at it.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I needed mine angled back to clear with the synergy stuff.

That’s the Clayton TR mount? You may need to flip it around to get the post even or rear of the TR looking at it.
That pic is synergy bolt on axle, but my Clayton tie rod bracket dangling. I originally had Clayton brackets on both sides but hit RK track bar or my Oem drag link. I tried tie rod mount the “correct” way and had way more interference.

So then I swapped in a Synergy axle track bar bolt after seeing Roky posts, and that’s the picture of the AEV SS being too wide and hitting the tie rod and can’t angle down to connect to tie rod bracket. Maybe other people can?
I don’t know if AEV SS is too big diameter to fit, or if it’s my axle connections.
Anyway, I’m waiting to swap in a metalcloak TB to see if it won’t hit.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
That pic is synergy bolt on axle, but my Clayton tie rod bracket dangling. I originally had Clayton brackets on both sides but hit RK track bar or my Oem drag link. I tried tie rod mount the “correct” way and had way more interference.

So then I swapped in a Synergy axle track bar bolt after seeing Roky posts, and that’s the picture of the AEV SS being too wide and hitting the tie rod and can’t angle down to connect to tie rod bracket. Maybe other people can?
I don’t know if AEV SS is too big diameter to fit, or if it’s my axle connections.
Anyway, I’m waiting to swap in a metalcloak TB to see if it won’t hit.
Do you have a lift? I thought most steering stabilizer relocation brackets require a minimum lift to clear the drag link.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Do you have a lift? I thought most steering stabilizer relocation brackets require a minimum lift to clear the drag link.
I have AEV 2” spacer lift so thought I’d be fine. Although, I’ve lost most of that lift because my rig is heavy…
Also waiting to swap in Clayton springs to get some more lift back, see if that helps along with the Metalcloak TB.