First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
I'd be surprised if you could use the stock carrier, the AEV rear bumper has no indentation for the tire to sit into, so you'd need to raise the tire up higher in order to clear the bumper.

If you look at some early prototype pics of the AEV bumper there is a tire indentation, but the production version does not have it.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I remember I saw it on their website, they say it won’t fit with stock tyre carrier.

TCOV

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392 Ext. Recon, 2018 JKUR Recon (sold)
I remember I saw it on their website, they say it won’t fit with stock tyre carrier.
This is on their web-site. “If you do want to use the AEV Rear Bumper without our tire carrier, you will need some sort of relocation kit to move the spare tire up and away from the bumper, such as the Mopar 82215355 spare tire relocation kit.”

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The huge downside to the mopar spare relocation bracket, and any others of the like, is that they result in the weight of the spare being cantilevered further from the gate. This will amplify the weights affect on the tailgate. This is an area of Jeep modifications that I always highly recommend not cheaping out on. A proper adjustable carrier is the best choice for 35's and under, and a hinged reinforcement with an adjustable carrier for 37's and up. Your tailgate will be thankful and will reward you with a long drama free life.

Here's a Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable carrier with a 35" spare adjusted to the highest position...
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper with Jeep OEM tire carrier 20200423_092815_resized

And a 38" on the Cavfab Elite hinged reinforcement with adjustable carrier on its highest setting...
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper with Jeep OEM tire carrier 20210211_132351_resized

Both setups have the tires pressed as close to the tailgate as possible, minimizing the cantilever affect and properly supporting the weight by pressing the inner sidewall into the rubber bumpers on the gate.

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Kind of a shit way for AEV to be like "buy my other product or suck muhh", and defeats the purpose of the reinforced OEM swing gate when you go relocating things doesn't it? Hopefully Warn or ARB are a little more mindful in their product designs.

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
Kind of a shit way for AEV to be like "buy my other product or suck muhh", and defeats the purpose of the reinforced OEM swing gate when you go relocating things doesn't it? Hopefully Warn or ARB are a little more mindful in their product designs.
Yeah. The main purpose of the AEV rear bumper is to move that weight off of the tailgate and onto the frame mounted bumper, I believe. Good concept and design, but they do sell the tire mount as a separate piece that is priced over $1K which is a bit of a kick in the nuts. Supposedly a quality product though.
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper with Jeep OEM tire carrier B571C6D3-FF36-40AA-930B-CCC977D91C77

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Yeah. The main purpose of the AEV rear bumper is to move that weight off of the tailgate and onto the frame mounted bumper, I believe. Good concept and design, but they do sell the tire mount as a separate piece that is priced over $1K which is a bit of a kick in the nuts. Supposedly a quality product though.
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper with Jeep OEM tire carrier B571C6D3-FF36-40AA-930B-CCC977D91C77
Yeah exactly, hard pass for me. Kind of like the MetalTech model, oh here's my bumper, you want bolts, EXTRA, a hinge for that swingout, EXTRA, lights?! EXTRA, not happening here lol.
Sponsored