AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019]

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
A common misconception regarding their JL rear bumper and carrier is that there were delays related to boron steel. In fact, they only transitioned the front bumper to boron steel and ran into crash testing issues because of it. The rear is the same steel as the JK and largely the same construction/weights. I know this because I have been trying to arrange freight forwarding of the bumper, carrier and caddy to AK and AEV was happy to answer some technical questions to facilitate the process.
That makes sense about the rear bumper, did they discuss why they had to drop the idea of the retractable foot step they showed at SEMA 2019? I'm guessing stronger Boron steel not being used in the production rear bumper..
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
That makes sense about the rear bumper, did they discuss why they had to drop the idea of the retractable foot step they showed at SEMA 2019? I'm guessing stronger Boron steel not being used in the production rear bumper..
I didn’t ask but I imagine production complication was most of it. When it takes almost three years to bring a bumper/carrier to market that aren’t significantly redesigned from the JK, I’d hate to see what adding a step would do to such a timeline.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
AEV JL customers = "red-headed stepchildren"

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I call total Bull$hit on AEV. So explain how the can install them on their JL 350 and JL 370 full builds? If they exist for their builds then they can sell them individually, am I missing something?

Spend $16,000+ and you can get one...want to buy them individually, they have excuses! They also posted on IG to look for them this month.

So, I don't know what their really problem is, but they sure don't give a crap about releasing it and I don't believe the Manufacturing excuse at all! They have something they are building and sell in the kits!

Not holding my breath or I would have died a long time ago!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I call total Bull$hit on AEV. So explain how the can install them on their JL 350 and JL 370 full builds? If they exist for their builds then they can sell them individually, am I missing something?

Spend $16,000+ and you can get one...want to buy them individually, they have excuses! They also posted on IG to look for them this month.

So, I don't know what their really problem is, but they sure don't give a crap about releasing it and I don't believe the Manufacturing excuse at all! They have something they are building and sell in the kits!

Not holding my breath or I would have died a long time ago!
Of course AEV would keep the bumpers for their full builds first. If they have a limited number, I would expect them to go with their full builds first. Its a business. Imagine not being able to fulfill a $16k order because you sold a $2k bumper to someone else, and you are the sole controller of your own inventory.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Of course AEV would keep the bumpers for their full builds first. If they have a limited number, I would expect them to go with their full builds first. Its a business. Imagine not being able to fulfill a $16k order because you sold a $2k bumper to someone else, and you are the sole controller of your own inventory.
You are totally right about it being a smart business decision to prioritize parts into the JL 350 vehicle production business - as a temporary resource allocation that is. Except...this is not a short-term issue, nor is it a result of the pandemic. It's gone on for several years now. Unless they are perpetually short on parts, which is also troubling. I think that the JK business is now a cash cow and the JL business, requiring more development work, takes a backseat to the truck accessory business. A third row backseat at that.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
You are totally right about it being a smart business decision to prioritize parts into the JL 350 vehicle production business - as a temporary resource allocation that is. Except...this is not a short-term issue, nor is it a result of the pandemic. It's gone on for several years now. Unless they are perpetually short on parts, which is also troubling. I think that the JK business is now a cash cow and the JL business, requiring more development work, takes a backseat to the truck accessory business. A third row backseat at that.
Although I would agree they need to prioritize would be smart, however what isn't smart is to debut it during SEAM 2018 with and Early 1st Quarter Release in 2019...then delay until the Summer of 2019. Then go to SEMA 2019 and still not have it released...talk about manufacturing problems...yet you can sell them in your JL 350 kits (which is the truth and which is the lie?). Then to say it will be out in March 2020, then blame it on Covid...then post a message on IG and say "Wait for next month!" Almost 2 weeks into next month....NOTHING!

All the while completely IGNORING all of the questions about what is happening. Not sure what business model this is except a very bad one!

Under commit and over deliver...problem is they don't care about the JL line because they are so busy doing the truck line and this isn't important enough.

I would have more faith if they would just be honest and not keep stating dates and never delivering! Oh well, off to find a manufacture that actually delivers products!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although I would agree they need to prioritize would be smart, however what isn't smart is to debut it during SEAM 2018 with and Early 1st Quarter Release in 2019...then delay until the Summer of 2019. Then go to SEMA 2019 and still not have it released...talk about manufacturing problems...yet you can sell them in your JL 350 kits (which is the truth and which is the lie?). Then to say it will be out in March 2020, then blame it on Covid...then post a message on IG and say "Wait for next month!" Almost 2 weeks into next month....NOTHING!

All the while completely IGNORING all of the questions about what is happening. Not sure what business model this is except a very bad one!

Under commit and over deliver...problem is they don't care about the JL line because they are so busy doing the truck line and this isn't important enough.

I would have more faith if they would just be honest and not keep stating dates and never delivering! Oh well, off to find a manufacture that actually delivers products!
They’re probably going to follow Jeep’s lead with the JLU 3.0. When they unveiled it in Utah, their quoted delivery timeframe was Q4 2019...they delivered precisely ONE 3.0 in Q4 2019.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
They’re probably going to follow Jeep’s lead with the JLU 3.0. When they unveiled it in Utah, their quoted delivery timeframe was Q4 2019...they delivered precisely ONE 3.0 in Q4 2019.
Let's hope not...I guess if I didn't want it I wouldn't care! I would rather they be honest and just say, we suck, we are saving them for builds, whatever is the truth. Just leaving everyone hanging.

It isn't like the EPA not getting your certification out or anything. Seems like the China look a likes are coming out faster than AEV can make them! lol

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's hope not...I guess if I didn't want it I wouldn't care! I would rather they be honest and just say, we suck, we are saving them for builds, whatever is the truth. Just leaving everyone hanging.

It isn't like the EPA not getting your certification out or anything. Seems like the China look a likes are coming out faster than AEV can make them! lol
Maybe you and I can get in a bidding war for AEV’s single rear bumper for sale this month :CWL:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won't happen until the 30th no matter what!
Unfortunately for you, I get paid again before then, on top of a rather large covid slush fund I built up but am willing to unload on greasing palms at AEV :devil:

ETA: That said, if you’re smart, you’ll bid me to some unholy number planning to bail and take the second bumper so you can laugh at me when #2 shows up in TX a week before #1 gets to AK:bandit:

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Unfortunately for you, I get paid again before then, on top of a rather large covid slush fund I built up but am willing to unload on greasing palms at AEV :devil:

ETA: That said, if you’re smart, you’ll bid me to some unholy number planning to bail and take the second bumper so you can laugh at me when #2 shows up in TX a week before #1 gets to AK:bandit:
You know this would be so funny if it wasn't true...but for some reason that is how it would work out! lol