Sponsored

AEV JLU Wrangler Build [SEMA 2019]

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Launch correctly without shoddy prroblems is one thing, but AEV has entered into a new category of being late to the market at this point - and i think it's because of OCD to perfect this new boron stamped steel they're trying to do. And though I applaud the effort in trying to innovate, you can use regular steel like you have for years on prevouis JK bumpers, and satisfy a lot of people. Then, once you perfect this new blended metal you're trying to make for the bumper to be lighter/stronger or whatever you feel the need to satisfy, then introduce that as a premium model.
If they introduced the boron steel model later, there would be people complaining about how they already bought the first one, and would've held off purchasing had they known a premium bumper was coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the boron steel just gave them more manufacturing issues than they were anticipating.
Sponsored

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If they introduced the boron steel model later, there would be people complaining about how they already bought the first one, and would've held off purchasing had they known a premium bumper was coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the boron steel just gave them more manufacturing issues than they were anticipating.
I respectfully disagree on people waitin. Yes there would be some that do. But many of the ppl who are waiting for the bumpers for AEV, would have just purchased the "regular" steel models and just gave a hard pass to the "premium" one.

I would rather have a "regular" steel rear end bumpr and tire carrier now, just like the JK model but for a JL, rather than waiting until the fall for this other steel they're trying to make.

I do agree, 100%, that they are having manufacturing issues and just not bringing that to light

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I posted a question at the AEV forum regarding a projected date for their JL spare tire carrier. Here is their response:

It will be ready by fall. I don't have a hard date, but looking at our timelines I'm comfortable with saying it'll be ready. And because this has been brought up before: I mean North American Fall of 2020.
Pretty sure they said the exact same thing in 2019...

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure they said the exact same thing in 2019...
And after in launched in 2018. Pretty sure they were saying that at the Overland Expo West in 2018 that it'd be first quarter of 2019. Then at Overland Expo West in 2019, they said should be towards the end of 2019.

I moved on on the frton bumper as i've stated in previous posts. I just wish they'd do a regular steel rear bumper and the tire carrier, just like on the JK but just get it to fit on the JL, and i'd be happy with that. I dno't need boron stamped steel for that, i'm okay with regular steel, lol

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I just wish they'd do a regular steel rear bumper and the tire carrier, just like on the JK but just get it to fit on the JL, and i'd be happy with that. I dno't need boron stamped steel for that, i'm okay with regular steel, lol
But then it wouldn't be "proprietary"... ;)

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
No matter how inpatient I get with AEV, they make great stuff, and I don't see a better rear tire carrier on the market than the frame-mounted JK version. Heck, my Hard Rock rear bumper came with a preprovisioned hole, from the factory, only there to accommodate AEV. You don't see Jeep getting that close to any other aftermarket suppliers.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
They post nothing but Ram, JK, TJ, and Colorado stuff on social media for a month...then we get a miraculous JL update...about center caps...with a pic that shows another company’s front bumper...
A8C5171F-D17A-48C5-A7D0-0EE388AA2A60.jpeg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They post nothing but Ram, JK, TJ, and Colorado stuff on social media for a month...then we get a miraculous JL update...about center caps...with a pic that shows another company’s front bumper...
A8C5171F-D17A-48C5-A7D0-0EE388AA2A60.jpeg
I've had Pintlers on my last two Jeeps. I'm going with Borah's for my Diesel.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Those plastic doodads are high margin products. Gotta push the stuff that keeps the lights on.

Sponsored

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No matter how inpatient I get with AEV, they make great stuff, and I don't see a better rear tire carrier on the market than the frame-mounted JK version. Heck, my Hard Rock rear bumper came with a preprovisioned hole, from the factory, only there to accommodate AEV. You don't see Jeep getting that close to any other aftermarket suppliers.
I agree. I'm waiting for their rear bumper and tire carrier. Already moved on from AEV on the front side.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And after in launched in 2018. Pretty sure they were saying that at the Overland Expo West in 2018 that it'd be first quarter of 2019. Then at Overland Expo West in 2019, they said should be towards the end of 2019.

I moved on on the frton bumper as i've stated in previous posts. I just wish they'd do a regular steel rear bumper and the tire carrier, just like on the JK but just get it to fit on the JL, and i'd be happy with that. I dno't need boron stamped steel for that, i'm okay with regular steel, lol
Well sir, ask and you shall receive! I just talked to their tech support this morning and learned several things of use.

Number one, the rear bumpers are not boron steel, they are the same steel as the JK bumpers and the first few are currently at AEV for their turnkey builds with the rest of the individual rear bumpers and tire carrier units expected to be on the market in the month of March.

Number two, the front bumper boron steel was causing issues with the frame in crash testing so they are adding in crumple zones and don’t expect the front bumpers to be available for another 6 months or so.

Number three, the 8100XP shocks are expected to be available for the JT and JL within the next few months and definitely before summer.

Number four, AEV is looking into a completely different spring and shock tune for the 3.0. No word on timing but don’t expect anything soon. My plan personally is to run their triple rate coils given the loads they’re already designed to manage and wait for the 8100XPs to dial in my own shock tune for the diesel.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well sir, ask and you shall receive! I just talked to their tech support this morning and learned several things of use.

Number one, the rear bumpers are not boron steel, they are the same steel as the JK bumpers and the first few are currently at AEV for their turnkey builds with the rest of the individual rear bumpers and tire carrier units expected to be on the market in the month of March.

Number two, the front bumper boron steel was causing issues with the frame in crash testing so they are adding in crumple zones and don’t expect the front bumpers to be available for another 6 months or so.

Number three, the 8100XP shocks are expected to be available for the JT and JL within the next few months and definitely before summer.

Number four, AEV is looking into a completely different spring and shock tune for the 3.0. No word on timing but don’t expect anything soon. My plan personally is to run their triple rate coils given the loads they’re already designed to manage and wait for the 8100XPs to dial in my own shock tune for the diesel.
Any word on the rear tire carrier?

Edit: Doh! Just reread your post. I only (selfishly) asked them if the tire carrier would be ready for Fall - I'm ordering a 2021 Diesel. [I'll stick with the OEM steel bumpers] March is better yet. Ironically, the right-bias of the JK carrier kind of grew on me. I hope they don't change it for the JL.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any word on the rear tire carrier?

Edit: Doh! Just reread your post. I only (selfishly) asked them if the tire carrier would be ready for Fall - I'm ordering a 2021 Diesel. [I'll stick with the OEM steel bumpers] March is better yet. Ironically, the right-bias of the JK carrier kind of grew on me. I hope they don't change it for the JL.
Yea I’m honestly considering getting the AEV rear bumper/carrier/caddy and mopar front. I’ve run the mopar front steel bumper with a zeon 10s on my 3.6 JLUR for 18 months now and it has been just fine. The boron steel AEV will save some weight, but I doubt more than about 10 lbs compared to the mopar version.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I’m honestly considering getting the AEV rear bumper/carrier/caddy and mopar front. I’ve run the mopar front steel bumper with a zeon 10s on my 3.6 JLUR for 18 months now and it has been just fine. The boron steel AEV will save some weight, but I doubt more than about 10 lbs compared to the mopar version.
That's my exact set up now. Love it, and actually like it more than the AEV set up from what I've seen, the mopar keeps it more open as well.

As for the rear bumper...i'll believe it when I see it and can order it. Until then, I won't get any hopes up because my hopes were up all of 2018 and all of 2019 until i finally decided to just move on for the front. But if it comes out, great! if it doesn't, i won't be surprised, haha

frontend.jpg
Sponsored