AEV JL Wrangler Products & Builds [SEMA 2018 - JLWF Coverage]

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I talk to quite a few folks, industry wise and "Jeep" people. Many are saying that AEV is spread too thin dabbling in the Bison stuff and has lost the bubble on their core constituency - JEEPS.

It's really disappointing that this has drug on as long as it has. For me, I'm at the point where I think I'll just stick with my OEM steel bumpers. They work, and I'm tired of waiting on AEV or even looking at all the other craptastic offerings I see for the JL. Over it.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
AEV for as long as I’ve known them will engineer everything into a product they can, which always means last to market.

I’m guessing with the addition of a front facing camera the bumpers may have had to get redesign on the radiator hoop... IF it was not modular to begin with. If you look at camera placement it seems to block. It would make no sense making multiple SKUs for the same style bumper.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
AEV for as long as I’ve known them will engineer everything into a product they can, which always means last to market.

I’m guessing with the addition of a front facing camera the bumpers may have had to get redesign on the radiator hoop... IF it was not modular to begin with. If you look at camera placement it seems to block. It would make no sense making multiple SKUs for the same style bumper.
Okay, but why not release the rear bumper and carrier?

Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Okay, but why not release the rear bumper and carrier?
Good question, not sure there is an answer. I know from a manufacturing standpoint where I work, items from suppliers always screws our delivery schedules by months. When you’ve got a complex parts from multiple suppliers and vendors it’s like orchestrating cats in a swimming pool. This is usually where smaller in-house companies make their name and show their efficiency.

Basically it could be anything... for any reason. I just hope we see something soon.

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I was rear ended and damaged my stock steel bumpers. Reached out to AEV since the steel bumpers were only purchased to protect me until I could buy AEV ones. Well they worked! Unfortunately the bumpers aren't ready. Just asked them and got a reply of January 2020 ETA. I went ahead and bought an ARB front and Warn Elite rear. I was really hoping to go AEV, but it will be harder to justify the upgrade.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was rear ended and damaged my stock steel bumpers. Reached out to AEV since the steel bumpers were only purchased to protect me until I could buy AEV ones. Well they worked! Unfortunately the bumpers aren't ready. Just asked them and got a reply of January 2020 ETA. I went ahead and bought an ARB front and Warn Elite rear. I was really hoping to go AEV, but it will be harder to justify the upgrade.
January 2020? :facepalm:

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
How did the finishes match between the brands? I can’t find a manufacturer that makes both a front and rear bumper I like, so I’ll probably end up with different brands. The Warn Elite rear is one I’m looking at.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How did the finishes match between the brands? I can’t find a manufacturer that makes both a front and rear bumper I like, so I’ll probably end up with different brands. The Warn Elite rear is one I’m looking at.
I'm leaning now toward Metalcloak.

Still dealing with sadness at the moment though.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I may take a closer look at ARB, Warn, or the new Rugged Ridge HD full width bumpers.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Battalion Chief
I may take a closer look at ARB, Warn, or the new Rugged Ridge HD full width bumpers.
The Rugged Ridge bumpers were the ones I was looking at, then found out the bull bar the front bumper was pictured with was not actually welded on, it’s bolted on, and also not included with the bumper. Back to square one...

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Rugged Ridge bumpers were the ones I was looking at, then found out the bull bar the front bumper was pictured with was not actually welded on, it’s bolted on, and also not included with the bumper. Back to square one...
The Mopar bumper, AEV, and Metalcloak all use bolt on winch guards. Are you looking for an actual stinger? To keep you from flopping ass over tea kettle?

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Battalion Chief
The Mopar bumper, AEV, and Metalcloak all use bolt on winch guards. Are you looking for an actual stinger? To keep you from flopping ass over tea kettle?
I’m more disappointed in what appeared to me as deceptive marketing. Plus, the guard doesn’t seem to be readily available.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m more disappointed in what appeared to me as deceptive marketing. Plus, the guard doesn’t seem to be readily available.
To your point, I've been inclined to look for more welded options. Sturdy and light? Possible? I'm giving up the AEV dream and looking now for some nice light options.

Welded steel has it's charm, but I want to keep lightweight. Good luck in your search. :beer:
Sponsored