Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Finally! It is pricey, but glad its finally available, albeit very limited.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think its pretty ridiculous you have to cut out the holes yourself for the rear bumper sensors. Says to drill a 3/4" hole from the outside, but only drill through the outer layer. Then drill a 2" hole from the inside, but only through the inside layer. I bet a fair amount of people hose that up by drilling too deep. Would be easy to make a mistake. Its nice they have the locations marked I guess.

For the optional rear flare extensions to match up with the factory fender flares, looks like you have to cut the pinch seam. Now, I've already done that as part of running big tires and the off-roading I do, but this complicates the install even further for the DIY people, and may give pause to those paying someone to do it. (since you have to cut the body and not everyone wants that)

This bumper seems far from a bolt on if you want to add the flare extensions and have rear park sensors.

I'm not an AEV fanboy and have actually never owned any of their products. I have had their rear bumper on my shortlist and have still not decided what I want to do. Its either the AEV or the Rusty's Xtreme Trail Stubby Rear bumper. Yes, they are entirely different types of bumpers and that's a big part of my indecision. I hit my rear bumper corner on a lot of ledges while rock crawling. Maybe I wouldn't hit at all if I had the stubby? Maybe the AEV will take the hits better than the OEM? Maybe I just keep abusing the OEM? I already have Rusty's rear fascia cover. Decisions...

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I am shocked that the front has a roto-molded center hoop. Really, doesn't that mean plastic? PLASTIC? Really.

Hopefully, they EX version has a metal hoop, but now reading about it more, I doubt it.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, it is just a plastic cover with a steel spine, but really? REALLY?

I'd rather have no hoop.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like that drilling is in the plastic portion. I think they were trying to comprise for the folks that did get the backup sensors.

I guess that's a good approach.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
I posted this in another thread, but 2 years of waiting and this penis shaped front camera extension is what they give us? AEV has always done a great job of making OEM looking parts that integrate well and look like they belong there. This however looks like a complete afterthought.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV JL Wrangler Products & Builds [SEMA 2018 - JLWF Coverage] 2B6D7C3B-2EB9-4541-825F-15648E493E78

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If one did not choose to run the AEV lights, do you think the camera could be retrofitted lower in the grill slat

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in another thread, but 2 years of waiting and this penis shaped front camera extension is what they give us? AEV has always done a great job of making OEM looking parts that integrate well and look like they belong there. This however looks like a complete afterthought.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV JL Wrangler Products & Builds [SEMA 2018 - JLWF Coverage] 2B6D7C3B-2EB9-4541-825F-15648E493E78
Gotta say - lots of anger in this thread.
If I look at this, all 3 of the accessories (both lights and the camera) use the exact same attachment (seems smart) and the camera is pushed forward to ensure the lights do not interfere with your field of view. I was thinking that maybe bringing it lower would be good, but that then interferes with the winch, or messes up the clean lines of the bumper if you integrate it there.

Maybe I’m less sensitive, but it doesn’t really bug me that much.

My $0.02 (which is worth about $0.005)
Sponsored