Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It was hinted at the Overland West Expo that they were aiming for a August launch of the bumpers - which clearly didn't happen and then now someone said early 2020, which they were told at the Open House. Which leads me to believe it be probably the summer of 2020 - because they never come close to hitting any of these projected releases that they've unofficially hinted at.

It's ridiculous the amount of time it's taken for this to happen. But it's because they're so focused on the F'ing Colorado - which, it is what it is, i respect them for doing the Bison and i'm sure it's great, but what are the ratio of Wrangler JL's to Colorado's you see on the street or trail. On the street over 10:1, on the trail probably 20:1? If not higher?

They are 'missing' a huge opportunity...but the problem is, is that they know they're not missing anything because people will wait or get something in the mean time and then buy the AEV bumper when it comes out anyway. Unfortunately the check that was sent to AEV from GM was too big to pass up on and the JL bumpers were just put on the backburner, as I don't think they care too much because it's clearly not a priority.

I love AEV's stuff, so i'm not saying it's not worth waiting for, because it is and i've been waiting since April of '18. And i will be getting it whenever it's released. But this is just ridiculous.

And yes i'm upset and anxious for them to release them so i'm a bit ticked off since it's not out there yet and the front of my jeep has remained stock because i don't want to put anything else on there cuz i don't like what else is out there tbh

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
And every other manufacturer of these aftermarket products just happened to stumble upon suppliers that get the job done within less than half AEV’s time to market? Even AEV says they take longer because they test their prototypes more comprehensively than others. The only way to get the same level of testing done in less time is to throw more R&D resources at the job, which are apparently not available. Hence my comment.

As pointed above it’s two entirely different manufacturing process. I work in industrial manufacturing and the difference between casting, fabrication, machining, stamping and so on lead times (and revision) is night and day.

It’s one thing to test the bumpers crash rating it’s another to get a die adjusted in a timely fashion and stamp more test parts. You’re shoulder that on AEV when they have zero control over turn around and lead times of subcontractors then try to group/compare their subcontractors with those of others with in-house manufacturing.

You’re comparing apples to oranges, but only want to discuss bananas.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It was hinted at the Overland West Expo that they were aiming for a August launch of the bumpers - which clearly didn't happen and then now someone said early 2020, which they were told at the Open House. Which leads me to believe it be probably the summer of 2020 - because they never come close to hitting any of these projected releases that they've unofficially hinted at.

It's ridiculous the amount of time it's taken for this to happen. But it's because they're so focused on the F'ing Colorado - which, it is what it is, i respect them for doing the Bison and i'm sure it's great, but what are the ratio of Wrangler JL's to Colorado's you see on the street or trail. On the street over 10:1, on the trail probably 20:1? If not higher?

They are 'missing' a huge opportunity...but the problem is, is that they know they're not missing anything because people will wait or get something in the mean time and then buy the AEV bumper when it comes out anyway. Unfortunately the check that was sent to AEV from GM was too big to pass up on and the JL bumpers were just put on the backburner, as I don't think they care too much because it's clearly not a priority.

I love AEV's stuff, so i'm not saying it's not worth waiting for, because it is and i've been waiting since April of '18. And i will be getting it whenever it's released. But this is just ridiculous.

And yes i'm upset and anxious for them to release them so i'm a bit ticked off since it's not out there yet and the front of my jeep has remained stock because i don't want to put anything else on there cuz i don't like what else is out there tbh

I hate the Colorado just as much as the next Jeeper. And like you waiting myself as nothing comes close in aesthetics.

As you said, the company is in it to make money so I can’t fault them there.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
As pointed above it’s two entirely different manufacturing process. I work in industrial manufacturing and the difference between casting, fabrication, machining, stamping and so on lead times (and revision) is night and day.

It’s one thing to test the bumpers crash rating it’s another to get a die adjusted in a timely fashion and stamp more test parts. You’re shoulder that on AEV when they have zero control over turn around and lead times of subcontractors then try to group/compare their subcontractors with those of others with in-house manufacturing.

You’re comparing apples to oranges, but only want to discuss bananas.
I’m aware of the differences in manufacturing processes. That doesn’t negate AEV’s own explanations regarding pre-market testing. Nor does it negate the fact that more resources, up to and including increased in-house manufacturing, could easily cut the overall R&D time. Part of the reason that is not viable for them at this point is the multitude of projects in other vehicles drawing those resources away from the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I get things take time R&D, production everything takes time to do it right. I get that. My problem is they promise a date (some official and some not) and blow through that date without a word. Set a date and hit that date quit filling us with empty promises.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I get things take time R&D, production everything takes time to do it right. I get that. My problem is they promise a date (some official and some not) and blow through that date without a word. Set a date and hit that date quit filling us with empty promises.
With all due respect though, they have never officially put a date out there. Even when talking to them at the OEWest, they were throwing out August with “should be” or we are “shooting for” and using more vague verbiage like that.

It’s always been a quarter or two out, but that’s just it, I don’t think they have a target date, and so it just keeps getting pushed back and the ambiguity is now the norm. It will come out when it comes out and that’s about the best we can expect at this point.

I’d feel so much better if they said it will be January 31 or July 1st. Even though I’d like it to be tomorrow. But just put a hard date out there and hit it! At least we will know when it will be, even if it’s 8 months away. Instead they are parading around expos and shows, doing open houses and keeping it all in the dark like it’s some big secret.

Maybe they’re having major issues and can’t figure them out? Who knows.

I almost want to boycott, but I am realistic and know that that won’t happen cuz I’m getting the bumpers the moment they come out cuz they look the best of all the options, imo.

Alas, the wait continues!

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note though, just thinking about it.

Essentially they debuted at SEMA 2018 and it’s a kinda ridiculous that SEMA 2019 will roll around and they will be showing the same thing, and still nothing being sold. And they look the exact same from SEMA ‘18 to OEWest in May ‘19 to the Open house just this week.

Odd.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m aware of the differences in manufacturing processes. That doesn’t negate AEV’s own explanations regarding pre-market testing. Nor does it negate the fact that more resources, up to and including increased in-house manufacturing, could easily cut the overall R&D time. Part of the reason that is not viable for them at this point is the multitude of projects in other vehicles drawing those resources away from the Wrangler.

You keep throwing that word “resources” and yet to define what it is exactly. Truth is I doubt you have a clue what resources they have and just “bitching to bitch” which is cool. I hate waiting too.

I’ve followed AEV since the original unlimited LJs and regardless if the had a GM contract (or not) it still wouldn’t have gotten here any sooner. Every year they introduce something that requires extensive engineer and testing it’s the same cry on the forum. Only now it’s amplified as the popularity has increased as the Jeep Wrangler market exploded with the JKs. Them diversifying their product line was smart. It also goes without saying that there were/are just as many Colorado owners beating at AEV to give them money for products as well when the Bison debuted and there weren’t any “aftermarket” products available.

Given Jeep added front facing cameras into the mix AFTER they debut the bumper I’m pretty sure that was reasonable cause for pause. Then didn’t they always state they were trying to engineer it to include the JK. Which to date is higher in circulation than the JL or JT???? Being a business owner you can bet the bigger market is gonna reap more $$$.

All I’m saying is you can either accept the situation as is or move on. I provided an update as a courtesy since I was there at AEV. Had I known it was going to trigger anyone I wouldn’t have. Hell I’ve even alluded to why it’s taking so long per my conversation. No worries though.....

And just to go a step further for others. The reason why the snorkel hasn’t released yet, AEV was not happy with the parting lines from a mould. So it was reworked.

Y’all take it easy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You keep throwing that word “resources” and yet to define what it is exactly. Truth is I doubt you have a clue what resources they have and just “bitching to bitch” which is cool. I hate waiting too.
You’re right because using the example of increased in-house manufacturing isn’t defining “resources”. Incidentally, the fact that they still have to rely on so many suppliers also speaks quite directly to resources they have/don’t have. Yea they diversified into other markets and that’ll work out financially. Doesn’t mean they aren’t paying a price for it having to take longer to bring other products to market with some potential customers giving their $$ to other companies instead of waiting. Not bitching to bitch, just pointing out some of the variables at play with the release timeframe.

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
With all due respect though, they have never officially put a date out there. Even when talking to them at the OEWest, they were throwing out August with “should be” or we are “shooting for” and using more vague verbiage like that.

It’s always been a quarter or two out, but that’s just it, I don’t think they have a target date, and so it just keeps getting pushed back and the ambiguity is now the norm. It will come out when it comes out and that’s about the best we can expect at this point.

I’d feel so much better if they said it will be January 31 or July 1st. Even though I’d like it to be tomorrow. But just put a hard date out there and hit it! At least we will know when it will be, even if it’s 8 months away. Instead they are parading around expos and shows, doing open houses and keeping it all in the dark like it’s some big secret.

Maybe they’re having major issues and can’t figure them out? Who knows.

I almost want to boycott, but I am realistic and know that that won’t happen cuz I’m getting the bumpers the moment they come out cuz they look the best of all the options, imo.

Alas, the wait continues!

I agree 100%. It would help me make a decision if they had a hard date. I find it it hard to believe they won’t have anything new at SEMA this year. I find it even harder to believe they’d have something new yet still not release what they had last year. Here is hoping for release date at SEMA 2019

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You’re right because using the example of increased in-house manufacturing isn’t defining “resources”. Incidentally, the fact that they still have to rely on so many suppliers also speaks quite directly to resources they have/don’t have. Yea they diversified into other markets and that’ll work out financially. Doesn’t mean they aren’t paying a price for it having to take longer to bring other products to market with some potential customers giving their $$ to other companies instead of waiting. Not bitching to bitch, just pointing out some of the variables at play with the release timeframe.

Are you aware of the cost to bring manufacturing like that under one roof? I’m guessing not. Had you would have, you’d realize how ridiculous of a notion that is (in terms of modern OEM style manufacturing). OEM grade manufacturing is NOT Mom and Pop welding shops of which you’ve already compared it to. Consumer cost would be ridiculously stupid.

Incidentally just about every car manufacturer out there subcontracts out the part production and assembly is done In-house. Because it’s not financially viable for a business to compete with companies who already are invested or specialized in a particular style of manufacturing. Which coincidentally is the same business model AEV is using. So your argument they need more resources to pay out and bring it in house is kinda moot. This is why car manufacturers don’t change body styles every year. Tooling costs alone is high as giraffe ears.

Something you’re probably missing is that GM probably (my guess based on experience) under agreement allowed AEV access to GMs OEM suppliers to control quality. When companies collaborate that is usually something that is also outlined in agreements.

Again.... historically speaking AEV has always teased designs and was last to market. This is in some ways being no different than car manufacturers teasing concept vehicles only to change or implement variations of design ideas or philosophies. Hell the Gladiator concept was teased way back in 2005 on a JK prototype. Manufacturing wasn’t feasible so we got JK8 kits a few years later with the JK.

Manufacturing is multidimensional and not just what customers see. I cordially invite you to start up a competing business under your business philosophy and would put money you’d be Tango Uniform (tits up) under 1 year buried in debt.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you aware of the cost to bring manufacturing like that under one roof? I’m guessing not. Had you would have, you’d realize how ridiculous of a notion that is (in terms of modern OEM style manufacturing). OEM grade manufacturing is NOT Mom and Pop welding shops of which you’ve already compared it to. Consumer cost would be ridiculously stupid.

Incidentally just about every car manufacturer out there subcontracts out the part production and assembly is done In-house. Because it’s not financially viable for a business to compete with companies who already are invested or specialized in a particular style of manufacturing. Which coincidentally is the same business model AEV is using. So your argument they need more resources to pay out and bring it in house is kinda moot. This is why car manufacturers don’t change body styles every year. Tooling costs alone is high as giraffe ears.

Something you’re probably missing is that GM probably (my guess based on experience) under agreement allowed AEV access to GMs OEM suppliers to control quality. When companies collaborate that is usually something that is also outlined in agreements.

Again.... historically speaking AEV has always teased designs and was last to market. This is in some ways being no different than car manufacturers teasing concept vehicles only to change or implement variations of design ideas or philosophies. Hell the Gladiator concept was teased way back in 2005 on a JK prototype. Manufacturing wasn’t feasible so we got JK8 kits a few years later with the JK.

Manufacturing is multidimensional and not just what customers see. I cordially invite you to start up a competing business under your business philosophy and would put money you’d be Tango Uniform (tits up) under 1 year buried in debt.
Notice I used the word “increased” to qualify the idea of in-house manufacturing, rather than this binary concept of a complete shift to in-house that has you walking into ad hominem territory regarding how ignorant I supposedly am regarding manufacturing processes. Yea, it’s expensive, and they aren’t a big enough company to drop all of their suppliers. But to sit here and suggest they are/have been incapable of dropping ANY suppliers in favor of making more components in-house is the same type of thinking that has this country stuck in a blue-team vs red-team path to nowhere. Do tell, is that high horse of yours black or white?

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Notice I used the word “increased” to qualify the idea of in-house manufacturing, rather than this binary concept of a complete shift to in-house that has you walking into ad hominem territory regarding how ignorant I supposedly am regarding manufacturing processes. Yea, it’s expensive, and they aren’t a big enough company to drop all of their suppliers. But to sit here and suggest they are/have been incapable of dropping ANY suppliers in favor of making more components in-house is the same type of thinking that has this country stuck in a blue-team vs red-team path to nowhere. Do tell, is that high horse of yours black or white?

I’ve never said/suggested they couldn’t or shouldn’t. I’ve said it’s not what they are doing now or have done historically. Nor am I drawing similarities between things that aren’t to justify my position. Keep up

I guess you lost me where you think you know what’s best for their business, when it’s painfully obvious their business plan is currently in a different direction. Which my replies aren’t ad hominem..... it’s pointing out the fact you don’t have the slightest clue about the subject matter and yet have a strong opinion on how things should be because you’re not getting your way. “Bitching to bitch” .... and judging by the verbiage and political references I’m guessing you’re in THAT entitled generation mindset where facts don’t matter because you know everything.

AEV will deliver when they deliver, not a moment before.

The horse is brown.... same as the color of the piled up mass sitting between your ears.
Sponsored