Sponsored

AEV Dual Sport 2.5" Lift vs Extreme Recon Package on '22 JLUR

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
First, I want a lift and at least 35" tires. Let's not turn this into a debate on whether or not I need them. I think it's safe to say that not many of us truly need to be driving around in these vehicles. I've been getting by with a mostly stock '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee for years, just want something much better. Just yesterday I saw an ~80 year old man driving a Rubicon down the highway :)

I'm going to order a 22 JLUR. I'm up in the air between the XR package and going with an AEV 2.5" dualsport lift. The AEV lift is appealing to me, because I don't intend to use the vehicle for the "rock crawling" flavor of off-roading. I don't really need maximum articulation and want to avoid feeling like I'm driving a couch while balancing on a medicine ball.

The AEV lift seems to offer excellent handling both on the road and off the road. I live in Montana and am always on dirt roads with washboards and ruts. I live on a wash boarded, rutted up dirt road. I want the lift and good suspension for roads that are bumpy as heck, for ground clearance in deep snow so I don't beach myself in it, driving 60 mph on dirt roads with potholes and washboards, and driving on very rocky/rutted up roads at slower speeds. I'm sure I will get hooked up with a local off-road club and do some crazier trails; I just don't want to shred my brand new vehicle with reckless abandon. I don't plan on getting a rooftop tent, but probably I'm sure I'll get pretty loaded down on some trips. Depending on how much I can cram into the back, I might get a roof rack in the future.

Something that is more unique to my situation from many jeepers is that I want to use v-bar chains in deep snow, when necessary. I want at least 35" tires and am considering 37s. I know the 37s won't work with the XR package; I could probably live without them, but there is always a chance that I'd really like/need to throw them on in the future. I think I'll be good to go with chains on the 35s and the XR package, but I'd like some additional confirmation - any experiences out there? I plan on calling AEV tomorrow to ask them if chained up 37s would work on their lift.

Questions:
Which lift is more likely to not ride like a couch? I would guess that they are both pretty comfortable. Would one have the edge on handling? Off Road vs on road?

Anyone that can offer their thoughts on the differences between the two options in terms of lift quality? I will probably end up spending more if I go the AEV route, but I'm thinking it may be a better product and I'd be happier in the end.

How easy is it to sell the stock wheels and tires if I go the AEV route? I don't see there being a ton of demand locally for the wheels. Do people ever ship them? Gotta ask AEV how the stock wheels are with 37s on their lift - any thoughts?

How much do you think I can get for the stock wheels and tires?

Any way to get a deal on the AEV lift?

Another wrench in the works in I'm heavily considering the diesel.

What in the world do you need to do to be able to mount a spare tire with 35s or 37s? I saw a 2016 with a 35" spare on the lot this weekend and the rear door hinges felt like they were lubricated with sandpaper. I know they make some kind of brackets. Do you need a different bumper? I assume the reinforced rear gate hinge accessory from Jeep is for a reason. Is there another way to do this aftermarket?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Based you your use case I’d go XR from the factory and be done with it. 37’s will fit on the XR with minimal effort, especially if you aren’t going to be flexing out on the rocks.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Based you your use case I’d go XR from the factory and be done with it. 37’s will fit on the XR with minimal effort, especially if you aren’t going to be flexing out on the rocks.
What is the minimal effort?

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Do yourself a favor and just get the XR package - it'll give you a decent ride - 35's - factory fit and under the Jeep warranty - I have the AEV 2.5 Dualsport and it is fantastic - but only 1 year warranty - and I had to purchase wheels/tires - AEV Bumper/ Spare Mount (that's what I chose) - etc etc...you're around $6k -
AEV very very very seldom go on sale - fixed pricing at all retailers - and then you need to either install it or have it installed -
If the XR package was available when I purchased mine in 2021 - it would have been a no-brainer.....just saying..

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do yourself a favor and just get the XR package - it'll give you a decent ride - 35's - factory fit and under the Jeep warranty - I have the AEV 2.5 Dualsport and it is fantastic - but only 1 year warranty - and I had to purchase wheels/tires - AEV Bumper/ Spare Mount (that's what I chose) - etc etc...you're around $6k -
AEV very very very seldom go on sale - fixed pricing at all retailers - and then you need to either install it or have it installed -
If the XR package was available when I purchased mine in 2021 - it would have been a no-brainer.....just saying..
I wish they would have the XR package with the diesel - kind of crazy that they don't!

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
What is the minimal effort?
In the rear you just need to add a slightly taller bump stop like the MetalCloak durospring or you can heat and deform the back fender liner near the rear of the rear tire. For the fronts, a few people have reported that nothing was required When going to 37’s on the XR.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You’re in the same predicament I was. The XR package was close to what I wanted but not quite there. I like that it comes with the 35”s, 4.56 gears, and I believe it has beefed front axle but the diesel does too. Pretty sure it includes a hinge gate reinforcement as well.

I don’t like that you can’t get it with a diesel (unless that changed recently) and a little more lift would have been nice. Its too bad they don’t offer the XR package on a diesel with 4.10 gears (rather than 3.73).

AEV claims that mopar goes with softer springs and stiffer shocks while they go with stiffer springs and softer shocks. I have read that folks putting steel bumpers and winches get notable compression With mopar and AEV claims to be rating their 2.5” lift for loaded vehicles. I, like most, actually got 3.5” of lift so both observations seem to back up their claim.

We put AEV lifts on both our 2.0 and 3.0. On road, the diesel handles better. On washboards, the lighter engine, with corresponding softer springs rides better. If you’ve driven a 3/4 ton diesel truck on washboards… the diesel Jeep isn’t near that bad.

What does that all mean? I guess if you plan on being loaded heavy, AEV (and the diesel) should yield a better overall experience. If you plan to remain relatively light most of the time, the XR package might be the better choice particularly with frequent washboard roads as a consideration. I’m not sure you can have both though.

For me, diesel was the priority, so I added a hinge gate reinforcement, front and rear track bars, Teraflex Alpha HD tire carrier, AEV lift, aftermarket wheels, and 35” tires.

I think most 37” tires specify a wheel that is wider than the factory (non XR) wheel.

We were able to sell our factory wheels and tires for $1200. Facebook marketplace worked well for us. Can’t imagine shipping would be a safe option for either you or a potential buyer.

No way I’m aware of to get much of a deal on the lift. Northridge 4x4 offers a forum discount as do a few other forum sponsors.

The Teraflex Alpha HD will allow up to a 38” or 39” tire I believe, depending on your bumper. Factory steel has less clearance than plastic.

There are aftermarket hinge reinforcements that are probably more stout than the mopar one and some have more invasive installs.

Much debate here but my personal opinion is that larger than 35” tires puts you in the territory of needing to regear, beef up your axles, beef up your tailgate, beef up your back (so you can lift the spare up there).

If you do go with the AEV lift (or any brand for that matter) - If it doesn’t come with the adjustable front track bar, get one. If it doesn’t come with a rear relocation bracket,(AEV and many others do) consider a different lift kit. The relocation bracket keeps your roll center at the stock location to maintain factory handling. While not required, a stronger rear trackbar will also benefit handling.

Another topic of much debate: TeraflexHD adjustable track bars. Some people hate them. For me, they haven’t been an issue for Jeep #1 so I got them again for #2.

Final thought: if you haven’t watched the lift kit comparison thatTrail Recon did, it’s worth a watch. Granted, there are some noteworthy lift companies not represented (Rock Crawler and Metalcloak come to mind) and it would only be 100% applicable on Jeeps with the 3.6 engine. But still worth a watch.

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR Gobi
Some great advice from everyone!

Brad's suggestion to watch Trail Recon vid is spot on!

We ran 37" Nitto muds on AEV Borah rims with no lift and no rubbing for over a year. We just installed the AEV 2.5" Dual-sport on our JTR.

AEV lift's are one of the few kits that are safety tested.

Please watch that video, it will give you an idea of the different components of the kits as well.
Sponsored