AEV 2.5" RT Lift Driveline Vibrations

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Hey everyone, has anyone with the AEV 2.5" JLU lift experienced rear driveline vibrations? I have a heavy Jeep with an AEV tire carrier, 37" KM3 with a Borah beadlock wheel out back plus a built out cargo area so a substantial amount of weight over a stock Jeep and the rear is sitting extremely high. I called AEV to confirm the part numbers for my springs were correct because of the height difference out back. They confirmed the part numbers were correct for the 3.6L version. My Jeep has the soft top on currently and AEV stated the hardtop would squat it down more (that's a given).

I get that the suspension is designed for loaded down rigs but the height of the springs seems like an oversight. I've noticed over the last few days that the rear end is getting a driveline vibration that I'm likely going to need adjustable upper arms to correct as I am not driving my Jeep around fully laden with gear 24/7.

What arms does everyone recommend d to get the rear pinion angle dialed in for a lift over 3"? I have always used JKS components on previous Jeeps and was leaning towards those. Has anyone just replaced the upper arms or is it necessary to replace both rear lower and upper at the same time. I eventually plan on going with a full suspension system versus the kit that I have in there now. The AEV lift is a good stop gap between what I had and future plans.

Thanks in advance.

20210905_174937.jpg
Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I can't imagine getting a rear driveshaft vibration on the factory RZEPPA driveshaft with only 2.5" lift. Most people use the rear factory driveshaft up to 3.5" inches. Even if it is setting high for a 2.5" lift I can't imagine you setting higher than a 3.5" lift. You could take the rear driveshaft off and run it in 4 high just to confirm it's the rear driveshaft.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd settle on what my future lift brand will be, and start on that path by getting their arms.

Being my 1st Jeep, I underestimated how big of tires and lift it could take before turning into a pig, so I didn't go with the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger that really caught my eye. My first setup was the modest Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift and 35's. I completed it with all 8 control arms from synergy, due in part for their ability to be adjusted on the Jeep. Well lesson learned, and they are now sitting in the box that the 8 Metalcloak arms came in.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
This is the MetalCloak 3.5" True Dual Rate kit and it uses the Rear Factory Control Arms. I can see having a problem in the front but shouldn't be a problem on the back.
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" RT Lift Driveline Vibrations 1631115093067

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it were me, I'd settle on what my future lift brand will be, and start on that path by getting their arms.

Being my 1st Jeep, I underestimated how big of tires and lift it could take before turning into a pig, so I didn't go with the 3.5" Metalcloak Gamechanger that really caught my eye. My first setup was the modest Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift and 35's. I completed it with all 8 control arms from synergy, due in part for their ability to be adjusted on the Jeep. Well lesson learned, and they are now sitting in the box that the 8 Metalcloak arms came in.
Exactly my thinking. My plan has been to upgrade the arms over time and I have always been a big fan of JKS' components and was planning that route. No time like the present.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Solid points, however I had the tires checked for balancing and road forced and they balanced out perfectly so it's not coming from them. I may do that and verify but I have dealt with this on previous Jeeps that needed some tweaking of the pinion angle and the vibration is the same feeling. I've read a few posts where people swapped put the driveshaft for the Mopar one that comes in their 2.5" lift. Not sure that would have any benefit over properly adjusting the pinion angle.
Pic of pinion angle ?

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Pinion angle on a REAEPPA driveshaft shouldn't be a problem. Vibrations are a u-joint issue and you don't have u-joints on your rear driveshaft. Take the rear driveshaft off and run it in 4wd and see if you still have the vibration. Then you will know for sure.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I have the AEV lift with 37s. No real weight on the back as I am not an over lander. I have no vibrations. Maybe a driveshaft weight was knocked off?

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Could even be a bad axle bearing

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pic of pinion angle ?
Now that I'm looking at it it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'm starting to wonder if when the tires were rebalanced if a weight came off. I was more curious if anyone has experienced any issues like this and I agree with the statements, there shouldn't be any vibrations at this height.

20210908_114250.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I'm looking at it it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'm starting to wonder if when the tires were rebalanced if a weight came off. I was more curious if anyone has experienced any issues like this and I agree with the statements, there shouldn't be any vibrations at this height.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" RT Lift Driveline Vibrations 20210908_114250
From the looks of that pic , I don’t see any reason for vibration. Check to make sure a weight didn’t come off the driveshaft too.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the looks of that pic , I don’t see any reason for vibration. Check to make sure a weight didn’t come off the driveshaft too.
Definitely! Appreciate the input everyone.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I've done the AEV lift and have not had weird vibrations.