Sponsored

AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned.

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 4x4, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just completed installing AEV 2.5" dual sport lift. Also installed geometry correcting brackets and a JKS HD adjustable track bar.

I plan to keep the 33" tires. Some photos attached so you can see how it looks with stock 33" KO2s. Reliability and MPG are a couple of our priorities so that influences our mods. We will eventually install a winch and a 17 gallon Aux fuel tank opposite the stock tank between the frame rails.

Lessons learned:
-AEV says five hours to install. That's laughable. Maybe in a 4WD shop! Or perhaps if you have installed one before. I am not a novice but have limited tools. I did it in my garage. I had a little help from my wife but 80 percent completed solo. Probably 12-14 hours. Split it up over three days.

-I had difficulty installing the bigger taller coil springs. I was uncomfortable letting the rear axle down any lower. I disconnected everything I could. One line, don't know what it is but goes over the transverse frame rail then down to differential and out to the rear brakes could not find more slack. I went to Advanced Auto and they loaned me for free a coil spring compressor with the safety pins. It was a slow process but they went in without a fuss. It was just time consuming. Plan accordingly.

-I have a 20v impact driver. A big help. Other than that just standard wrenches/sockets/extensions, etc. All meteic of course. I have a good torque wrench which you will need. Along with 16-22mm sockets and wrenches You will also need a 24 mm socket AND a 24 mm wrench for the front end of the passenger side lower control arm. A 15/16 is the same as a 24mm so if you have that you should be GTG. You need 15mm wrench to center steering wheel when the lift is complete.

- I did the rear suspension first to get a feel for the process and that worked well for me.

-The AEV kit is complete but the instructions can be improved. Example--You get a bag of bolts, nuts, and washers but no diagram of exactly what goes with what. There are some fine thread M12 flange nuts mixed with the standard thread and it isn't till you are almost done that it mentions that interesting little tidbit. I read the instructions a couple times before the installation and highlighted key info. That helped me especially when I got tired.

-The front control arms--I watched a couple videos and in the comment section people doing the same project said they could not get the bolts and holes lined up. I think some folks are trying to install the geometry correcting brackets with the Jeep in the air and with the suspension unloaded. The directions are very specific about installing those brackets with the wheels mounted and the Jeep on the ground. I had no trouble at all. You do one side at a time (stated in the instructions) and push the front tire forward to get the control arm to line up with the bolt hole. Nothing to it.

-Torquing the bolts. The instructions basically state do not torque fasteners until nearly everything is installed and the Jeep is on the ground. On the last page they list all the torque specifications. I checked each item off as I torqued it. It would be easy to miss one. Be careful and have a process. Check them off as you go. It probably took 2 to 2.5 hours just to torque everything. Would be a faster if the Jeep was in the air (sitting on the tires with suspension loaded). I also used a white paint pin on the bolts to see if they loosen.

-I achieved all the torque specifications except the forward lower control arms. My torque wrench goes to 150lbs. Those are supposed to be torqued to 190lbs. Even if my wrench could do that I am not sure I could because it's very hard to get enough leverage laying on the ground under the Jeep. When I have the front end aligned tomorrow I will ask the shop to torque those four bolts.

-Steering wheel. After installing a lift kit the steering wheel will be off center. Simple 10 min process to correct.

-Installing the lift kit was not hard. But it was time consuming.

-In the attached photos the one with the camper top up was before the lift kit was installed. The photo with the camper top down was after the lift kit was installed.

-even though it's a 2.5" lift kit, we got 4.25" lift up front and 3.5" on the rear. AEV told me it will settle a little. Also the lift is intended to support a Jeep with steel bumpers, a winch, and all the normal stuff overlanders carry. So I assume we will be about 2.5"-3" fully loaded.

I took it for a test drive and it's nice. Firm and tight. I think it looks great

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. 65F94329-431E-4091-88BC-34D84CF09022

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. E2E785E9-F264-49E5-BFFF-9F64C86EF82E
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dduncan47

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 3.0, Ford SD 6.0
Thank you for the details. I’ll be installing mine shortly (first time doing a lift)

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up. Confirmed my reluctance to DIY. I have the tools and maybe even the skill...but definitely not the time. Kind of nice to be able to drop the Jeep off at the shop in the morning and be able to drive it away shortly after lunch.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
One line, don't know what it is but goes over the transverse frame rail then down to differential and out to the rear brakes could not find more slack.
FYI, those are your hand brake cables. You can stick a vise grip on each of the eyelets at the brake side and then disconnect the hook from the brakes and re-route the lines under the frame rail and secure them there.

Evergreen…

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. 7BC40874-EC1D-44DF-A993-BC4E4FF30A51
lmao, ain't that the way it goes though? I just block off the day, because something in the process is always going to be a bigger pain in the ass than you thought, or you're making a trip to the hardware store for something that needs to be swapped out.

OP
OP

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
FYI, those are your hand brake cables. You can stick a vise grip on each of the eyelets at the brake side and then disconnect the hook from the brakes and re-route the lines under the frame rail and secure them there.

lmao, ain't that the way it goes though? I just block off the day, because something in the process is always going to be a bigger pain in the ass than you thought, or you're making a trip to the hardware store for something that needs to be swapped out.
True enough. Thanks for the tip. Now I will know for next time.:LOL:

OP
OP

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the write up. Confirmed my reluctance to DIY. I have the tools and maybe even the skill...but definitely not the time. Kind of nice to be able to drop the Jeep off at the shop in the morning and be able to drive it away shortly after lunch.
I would never want to discourage anyone from working on theirJeep. So much better to do it yourself even if it takes longer than you think. It's the best, maybe even the only, way to get to know your Jeep.

You learn how your Jeep is put together. You gain knowledge in what tools you need and if the ones you have are the right ones. It helps you diagnose future problems. All the new skills and knowledge builds on what you already know...or don't know. There is nothing but goodness in it. And, in reality, you'll probably do a better job than any shop. You won't be in a hurry to get to lunch or get to the next job and forget to torque a bolt or torque it to the wrong spec or tear part of the boot on spring seat because you're in a hurry. You are going to pay attention to the details because it's your Jeep. And you get to have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. After it's installed you can stand out in the driveway and beat your chest and shoot your gun in the air.... don't let some mechanic that does not care about your vehicle steal that opportunity from you.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I just completed installing AEV 2.5" dual sport lift. Also installed geometry correcting brackets and a JKS HD adjustable track bar.

-even though it's a 2.5" lift kit, we got 4.25" lift up front and 3.5" on the rear. AEV told me it will settle a little. Also the lift is intended to support a Jeep with steel bumpers, a winch, and all the normal stuff overlanders carry. So I assume we will be about 2.5"-3" fully loaded.
I'm looking at doing something this year, and AEV has been in my eyesight. Like you though, I don't want to lose the 33" stock tires just yet because of mpg's and low miles. I have a decent amount of weight in the jeep and tow an overland style trailer, so I can benefit from a lift. Right now I'm using air bags, which are OK, but more of a band-aid solution.

After having it for a year, what are your thoughts? Has it settled? Do you still have the 33's? Would you be able to post a new pic to see what it looks like on 33's? Also, did you get the 'standard capacity' or 'high capacity' springs?

Thank You!

OP
OP

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking at doing something this year, and AEV has been in my eyesight. Like you though, I don't want to lose the 33" stock tires just yet because of mpg's and low miles. I have a decent amount of weight in the jeep and tow an overland style trailer, so I can benefit from a lift. Right now I'm using air bags, which are OK, but more of a band-aid solution.

After having it for a year, what are your thoughts? Has it settled? Do you still have the 33's? Would you be able to post a new pic to see what it looks like on 33's? Also, did you get the 'standard capacity' or 'high capacity' springs?

Thank You!
Hi, Very happy with it. I installed a Long Range America 17 gallon Aux fuel tank and warn Zeon 10S winch to it this past fall. I posted all that on the forum too.

Would not change a thing. Still have the 33s. No plan to go to 35s etc.

Got the standard springs after reading some reviews that said the HD springs are just too stiff. I thing Dan Greck at the Road Chose Me YouTube installed the same lift on his gladiator with the HD springs and immediately took them out and went to the standard springs. He said they were just too stiff. It was during his gladiator build about a year ago so you can check that out. He is pretty sensible so his opinion carries weight with me.

I attached three pictures I took a couple minutes ago. The Jeep is empty. The main fuel tank is 3/4 empty but the aux tank is full. I also measured the Jeep just now and it's down 1/2" from when I first installed the AEV 2.5" dual sport lift. Probably has not settled much. Have to allow for the winch and aux tank. So maybe settled a little. Will definitely be down when fully loaded.

We took it overlanding to upstate NY in Sept. was down a bit more. I can probably post a photo of the Jeep then if you want.

I like the way it drives. We took it to Uwarrie National Forrest (NC) which has a lot of off road trails. We did not do anything dynamic but we were loaded down for camping and had a fine time. Had a nice stance and took everything presented easily.

We are headed out to Texas Big Bend area soon and then up to the Lincoln National Forest in NM. We will be fully loaded with all the normal Overlanding stuff. I'll post a report when we get back.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. 56B6CE08-5560-49D6-9EB7-73E6871F9B7A

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. 39347722-30F2-42BC-AFBA-668A14DB67B8

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5" Lift installed on 2021 JLUR with 33" tires. Photos. Lessons learned. 489CE1B4-138A-468D-9C61-2183BD3E77EF

Last edited:

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, Very happy with it. I installed a Long Range America 17 Aux fuel tank and warn Zein 10S winch to it this past fall. I posted all that on the forum too.

Would not change a thing. Still have the 33s. No plan to go to 35s etc.

Got the standard springs after reading some reviews that said the HD springs are just too stiff. I thing Dan Greck at the Road Chose Me YouTube installed the same lift on his gladiator with the HD springs and immediately took them out and went to the standard springs. He said they were just too stiff. It was during his gladiator build about a year ago so you can check that out. He is pretty sensible so his opinion carries weight with me.

I attached three pictures I took a couple minutes ago. The Jeep is empty. The main fuel tank is 3/4 empty but the aux tank is full. I also measured the Jeep just now and it's down 1/2" from when I first installed the AEV 2.5" dual sport lift. Probably has not settled much. Have to allow for the winch and aux tank. So maybe settled a little. Will definitely be down when fully loaded.

We took it overlanding to upstate NY in Sept. was down a bit more. I can probably post a photo of the Jeep then if you want.

I like the way it drives. We took it to Uwarrie National Forrest (NC) which has a lot of off road trails. We did not do anything dynamic but we were loaded down for camping and had a fine time. Had a nice stance and took everything presented easily.

We are headed out to Texas Big Bend area soon and then up to the Lincoln National Forest in NM. We will be fully loaded with all the normal Overlanding stuff. I'll post a report when we get back.
Thank you for the response and the pictures. The tires don't look too strange on it. The long version of my story is that I do tackle some terrain and would like to do more. At the offroad park, my skid plates scrape at times and I'd like to try to prevent that from happening. I want to go on some trips but feel like the stock suspension with 33" tires wouldn't be the best choice. I think it could do it, but would be more comfortable with something bigger. I don't want to get rid of my tires because I only have about 13k miles on them.

Weight wise, the tongue weight of the trailer is about 300lbs. I have about 500 pounds of passengers. Plus a 100lb dog in the back. Then the stock steel bumpers with the same winch as you up front. Overall, it's quite a bit of weight, which was why I was thinking of the high capacity springs. But it sounds like that may be a rare category so maybe it's better to stick with the standard load ones.

Thanks for the reply and update! I'm also going to try to figure out a way to see if I can follow your report...

OP
OP

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for the response and the pictures. The tires don't look too strange on it. The long version of my story is that I do tackle some terrain and would like to do more. At the offroad park, my skid plates scrape at times and I'd like to try to prevent that from happening. I want to go on some trips but feel like the stock suspension with 33" tires wouldn't be the best choice. I think it could do it, but would be more comfortable with something bigger. I don't want to get rid of my tires because I only have about 13k miles on them.

Weight wise, the tongue weight of the trailer is about 300lbs. I have about 500 pounds of passengers. Plus a 100lb dog in the back. Then the stock steel bumpers with the same winch as you up front. Overall, it's quite a bit of weight, which was why I was thinking of the high capacity springs. But it sounds like that may be a rare category so maybe it's better to stick with the standard load ones.

Thanks for the reply and update! I'm also going to try to figure out a way to see if I can follow your report...

OP
OP

FRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps you have already considered it but if not think about calling AEV and chat with them about it. See what they recommend.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps you have already considered it but if not think about calling AEV and chat with them about it. See what they recommend.
I haven't, just been window shopping. I was between AEV and MetalCloak from just looking around. Leaning more towards AEV because I feel like it fits my application better.

DHartlein

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Firecracker Red Rubicon JLU, 23 White Sport JLU
Just finished install, and am torquing tomorrow…. Have one washer left over.

Have checked everything against the instructions and online videos - nothing is missing a washer. Will do it again when I torque tomorrow….. BUT! Hardware instructions are sparse for the rear track bar tower. My front connectors match the AEV/Exhausting Life video and instructions.

The remaining washer is M12, won’t fit the track bar M14 hardware at the top. Center original mounting bolt is too short for a washer. That leaves one….. Did you use a washer on the back of the alignment puck?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: