CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Oh just remembered - I'd definitely recommend adjustable track bars. Some kits may come with them, AEV does not. I went with Teraflex, and have ARB diff covers. No clearance issues I've found.
AEV mentions that the front trackbar isn't necessary but everyone here says it is. Why are there two different story's?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
When you increase lift it causes the axle to shift to one side because the axle has to follow the arc of the trackbar. They provide a geometry correction bracket for the rear axle to counter this, but nothing for the front.

I suspect they don’t do anything because lengthening the trackbar can introduce a small amount of bump steer, and a bracket isn’t quite up to snuff for the forces seen on the front axle.

Including a longer drag link along with adjustable track bars would raise the price point significantly. So they say you don’t need anything on the front but doing so leaves you with an uncentered axle.

I’m a big fan of AEV but I do feel like they dropped the ball on this issue.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5 lift - how tall and what tires? 2E0C8E5C-5FF1-48F0-8A92-A0C948554025

@Roky what do you think?

OP
OP
CFC4953

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
When you increase lift it causes the axle to shift to one side because the axle has to follow the arc of the trackbar. They provide a geometry correction bracket for the rear axle to counter this, but nothing for the front.

I suspect they don’t do anything because lengthening the trackbar can introduce a small amount of bump steer, and a bracket isn’t quite up to snuff for the forces seen on the front axle.

Including a longer drag link along with adjustable track bars would raise the price point significantly. So they say you don’t need anything on the front but doing so leaves you with an uncentered axle.

@Roky what do you think?
You think they would at least have the part separate on their site, like the AEV Steering Damper, the person who runs a 4x4 shop recommends I get that as well. Do you have that installed?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You think they would at least have the part separate on their site, like the AEV Steering Damper, the person who runs a 4x4 shop recommends I get that as well. Do you have that installed?
I don’t - I’ve read several times they were causing problems or masking other problems so figured I’d wait unti I smash my factory one :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV 2.5 lift - how tall and what tires? 2E0C8E5C-5FF1-48F0-8A92-A0C948554025

@Roky what do you think?
I think that some lift companies base their decision on adjustable track bars on the alignment. Even though the front axle will shift a 1/2” in 2:5” of lift, the alignment remains in spec.

But I personally will always recommend an adjustable track bar with any lift 2.5” or higher. I don’t like the idea of the axles being off. The AEV includes a rear track bar bracket, not for centering the axle but to raise roll center. There’s very little affect on roll center at 2.5”, maybe the math shows a difference, but ass-in-seat, I can’t feel a difference.

There’s a reason why RK and MC include front track bar and/or rear track bar relo bracket, it really boils down to each company’s approach and philosophy of their lift kits.

Of course this is all just my best guess, and opinion……… I have no research or science to back it up……
Sponsored