Sponsored

Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps?

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
If you are worrying about rust, then just buy some Duro Extend, or another brand like it.

Whenever I spot the beginning of a rust spot on the under carriage, I just brush on the milky liquid and the rust is neutralized, as it turns a hardened black seal coat finish.

Problem Solved!

Yes, the steps are big enough, as my other half hauls her very short (under 5 foot) friends around in the very tall Rubicon and they have zero problem getting in and out.

So, maybe it's time to stop playing mental poker against yourself and get yourself a set of roam rails?
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
If you have a chance, would you be so kind as to take a photo showing a tape measure & the step area? I'd love a better feel for the how much area there really is there.
Roughly 3' x 4"
Jeep Wrangler JL Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps? IMG_0680

Jeep Wrangler JL Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps? IMG_0681

Jeep Wrangler JL Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps? IMG_0682

Jeep Wrangler JL Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps? IMG_0683

So, maybe it's time to stop playing mental poker against yourself and get yourself a set of roam rails?
Salesman in another life? Thanks for the tip on rust prevention.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
IDK, I bought a set of ROAM Steps used from a member in Colorado when the rust panic started for pretty cheap, a year later they still look great. I do live in the desert though.

Gregj

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Spray with some fluid film occasionally, Wipe off excess.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Completely different price point but a much better product would be the rock slide engineering steps for the 2dr. These will be much easier to use and grow with you if you decide to lift it later on.

Brett

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am very happy with my ROAM sliders, but aesthetically I always considered them a LOD Destroyer knock-off.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
I read about the problems and their response to change the coating. I bought mine after the coating change and zero problems. I live in FL where it rains a ton daily in summer. Although garaged, it gets caught in insane rains often and zero rust issues. I love mine. Pic from last week, one year installed...
Jeep Wrangler JL Aesthetically similar alternative to ROAM rails/steps? IMG_20200516_161546

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I know ROAM offers a bed lined option. Has anyone reported rust with that? Does anyone know what brand bed liner they use. I’m also interested in their steps but all the negative press about rust issues and poor support has me looking at other options too.
We have the bed lined steps, body mounted not frame mounted. According to Roam, the body mounted are not E-coated before bedliner.
I installed the steps in November, but didn't drive the Jeep during winter months. We live in WI rust belt. But have been driving it since end of March. I haven't noticed any rust yet.
I did have to drill out some of the bedliner in the LED light holes so the lights would fit. I greased up the holes where I drilled away the liner.
I don't know what brand bedliner they use, but its nice and hard stuff similar to Line-X brand.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Love my Roam. Frame mounted ( newer verseion) with red letters. No issues in Salty Jersey

495B83F3-8CAD-4745-B304-D6E431E50415.jpeg

7EC59D04-209B-4BC7-8922-2E48208B7BC0.jpeg

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Completely different price point but a much better product would be the rock slide engineering steps for the 2dr. These will be much easier to use and grow with you if you decide to lift it later on.

Brett
I agree with Brett. I personally have the Roam MK3 frame rails, and my uncle has the rock slide engineering steps for his JT. I look with envy everytime I see it, which is almost everyday. That being said, I do love my Roam rails, as I love the aggressive look of it. I am also one of the lucky ones with no rusting issues.

However, I would still not recommend it anymore, as I have read many a people having customer service issues with them. Also, it seems like it's a lottery game with the rusting issues, as I have read that even those with the MK3 like mine, which are e-coated, still have rusting issues surface up months after the install, not years.

If rock slide engineering's price point is too much, look into @lodoffroad selection. I have their bumpers front and back, and their sliding roof rack, and they are amazing. Also their customer service is much better compared to Roam if you ever need them.

Sponsored

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Buy the LoD Destroyers and don't look back. Similar to Roam and very solid. 6 months in and not a speck of rust. I could not be happier.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I agree with Brett. I personally have the Roam MK3 frame rails, and my uncle has the rock slide engineering steps for his JT. I look with envy everytime I see it, which is almost everyday. That being said, I do love my Roam rails, as I love the aggressive look of it. I am also one of the lucky ones with no rusting issues.

However, I would still not recommend it anymore, as I have read many a people having customer service issues with them. Also, it seems like it's a lottery game with the rusting issues, as I have read that even those with the MK3 like mine, which are e-coated, still have rusting issues surface up months after the install, not years.

If rock slide engineering's price point is too much, look into @lodoffroad selection. I have their bumpers front and back, and their sliding roof rack, and they are amazing. Also their customer service is much better compared to Roam if you ever need them.
Do the LoD Destroyers rails need have the big frame to body bolts removed in-order-to install them?

If so, then that would be an automatic deal breaker for me, rather risking breaking the body bolts.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the LoD Destroyers rails need have the big frame to body bolts removed in-order-to install them?

If so, then that would be an automatic deal breaker for me, rather risking breaking the body bolts.
Not 100% sure, but iirc when I looked at their instructions I think they do need those bolts removed. One of the reasons I did choose Roam was because I did not have to remove those bolts, although I did not know of LOD's offerings beforehand. When we installed my uncle's rock slide engineering, which also needs those bolts removed, on his JT it was actually very easy to remove them, all of them, with no issues.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green

as someone who has taken off a pair of Mopar Sahara side steps i can say Jeep put 6 frame threaded holes under your jeep that all rails mount you do not take any body bolts out. doesn't matter who you buy from they use the same 6 mounting holes for every rail or step on a JL and JT.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
as someone who has taken off a pair of Mopar Sahara side steps i can say Jeep put 6 frame threaded holes under your jeep that all rails mount you do not take any body bolts out. doesn't matter who you buy from they use the same 6 mounting holes for every rail or step on a JL and JT.
Not true. Roam themselves even sell a step that needs to remove the body bolts out. Rock slide engineering also requires it, I've installed that one on my uncle's JT
Sponsored