Sponsored

AE steering box... how did you guys convince the dealer?

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello Guys...

Looking to get the AE steering box for my Jeep, how did you convince the dealer to replace the old one for you?

Did it completely eliminate dead spot?Also how involved is the install and how long it takes?

Thanks!
JC
Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
In my case, the original steering gear/box kept locking up. It took many tries to get them to duplicate it, but couldn't. I had to drive it to the dealer as it was happening and forced a Tech to drive with me, then they finally saw it for themselves. It took quite awhile for the new one to arrive, but it only took a full day to replace it. Funny thing is, it was the same AC model. This was over a year ago. It did have a dead spot, but I replaced several failed or weak components that improved its drivability tremendously. Now I don't think about it.

As far as the dead spot in yours, they will have to acknowledge that it is an issue and affects the driving of your Jeep. That's easier said than done. If you don't get anywhere with the dealer, contacting JeepCares would be the first step.

Wolfff

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Safari
Occupation
MS Mechanical Engineering
In my case, the original steering gear/box kept locking up. It took many tries to get them to duplicate it, but couldn't. I had to drive it to the dealer as it was happening and forced a Tech to drive with me, then they finally saw it for themselves. It took quite awhile for the new one to arrive, but it only took a full day to replace it. Funny thing is, it was the same AC model. This was over a year ago. It did have a dead spot, but I replaced several failed or weak components that improved its drivability tremendously. Now I don't think about it.

As far as the dead spot in yours, they will have to acknowledge that it is an issue and affects the driving of your Jeep. That's easier said than done. If you don't get anywhere with the dealer, contacting JeepCares would be the first step.

I am in the same boat. JeepCares was useless In my case. JEEPCares did not care at all. The moment the Jeep got out of the workshop the case got closed since according to the dealer the issue got fixed. Furthermore they have no power and the dealers are taking them not serious and not even answering their calls. I have 2019 JLU with 11k miles with a 2 inch dead-spot in the steering My JLU was in the shop for 36 days on 4 occations. Everytime the issue got fixed or they could not find anything wrong.I am now in the lemon law process but I failed in the stage 1 arbitration because (summery of arbitration finding paraphrased):
1. I did not have an accident caused by steering issues therefore the vehicle is safe!
2. I was able to drive the vehicle therefore it is usable.
3. The dead-spot is an issue most JL's have therefore there is no diminished value. (They are comparing one steering gear with a material defect to another steering gear with a material defect.)

I tried to convince the arbitrator with videos of the play in the gearbox, videos of me driving the vehicle constantly correcting.

My conclusion is that this problem is too complex for the FCA service people because it only appears when the steering fluid is hot and driving faster than 55 mph. They do not have the time to do an extended test drive and actually don't give a "beeb"

Now after the arbitration I am in the situation that my dealer told me that they can't do anything anymore since they have to protect the interest of FCA!!!

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Not trying to be dis-respectful but the 2 inches of play—is this with the engine running or off?

Play in the steering box would not mean the vehicle won’t track straight. Play means the amount of free turn left or right before steering input is realized.

You have an Electric Power steering system vs Hydraulic. Have you driven a Chevy Cruz, Malibu or Impala with Electric Power Steering? How about a Nissan? They are all over the road from overcorrection. I think your numb spot is FCA’s way of keeping you from overcorrecting with the electric assist.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
The AE box may not help the issue. I have a 2020JLUS with the AE box and it steers horribly. It's actually unsafe on the
highway as it is all over the place. They had mine in the shop for 2 weeks then decided there was no issue. The tech created a STAR case, eventually did nothing, then closed the case. Everyone knows about the horrible Steering boxes & electric-hyrdaulic assist systems for JL's except FCA dealers... Odd isn't it? Aftermarket suppliers know there's a problem as well as many Jeep owners but FCA keeps playing dumb. Good Luck. They're gonna try and wear you down and hope you either just go away, deal with it on your own, or get killed in your jeep. They don't really care. You've bought the vehicle already.

Wolfff

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Safari
Occupation
MS Mechanical Engineering
Not trying to be dis-respectful but the 2 inches of play—is this with the engine running or off?

Play in the steering box would not mean the vehicle won’t track straight. Play means the amount of free turn left or right before steering input is realized.

You have an Electric Power steering system vs Hydraulic. Have you driven a Chevy Cruz, Malibu or Impala with Electric Power Steering? How about a Nissan? They are all over the road from overcorrection. I think your numb spot is FCA’s way of keeping you from overcorrecting with the electric assist.

The play is about 2 without and 2" with the engine running at 60 mph. With the engine idling the steering play is about 1 inch.
Now I do not want to be disrespectful but the JLU has a hydraulic ball recirculating steering gear, The only difference to the JK models is that the pressure for the hydraulic system is produced by a variable pressure electric pump vs a belt driven servo pump. This allows to reduce the servo assist at higher speed, This is the reason why the mechanics in the shop have no means to check the play at the shop. The have to dive it on a highway over 60 mph with the steering fluid to op temperature.
Your comment in regards to other brands might be correct but I drove JKs and 2020 JLUs without any steering play. Why is that?
Furthermore with 2 " of play you are constantly correcting because minute steering corrections are not possible, Driving for more than two hours is so exhausting that we keep the JL at home for long distance travel.

If somebody reads this and is in the process to buy a Jeep Wrangler, Think twice. Warranty is only worth something if the manufacturers accepts that there is something wrong. Based on my experience there is a lot wrong with a lot of JLUs that is maybe the reason why Jeep is not wanting to set precedence.

I would not buy a JLU before the 2021 model year.
Sponsored